Asus-wl500gP testing underWindowXP/Backtrack2 over Wifi/Cat5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Faites777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28    Post subject: Asus-wl500gP testing underWindowXP/Backtrack2 over Wifi/Cat5 Reply with quote
The interface of dd-wrt is great, but it seem to have problems under WindowsXP.
SHORT CUT SOLUTION!!!
-use Linux OS like Backtrack2 to access DD-WRT interface and apply settings.
-use Asus Firmware Restoration with CAT5 CABLE under XP for recovery, then reflash with DD-WRT...(disabling wireless adapter on your computer before using Asus Firmware Restoration software for it to work properly)

I am using an:
Asus-WL500gP router w/original miniPCI
Netstumbler0.4
Backtrack 2 on USB
IE7 and Firefox v2.0.05
HP1000 with IPW2200
Asus M6N with IPW2100
Linksys WPC54Gv3 Card
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing Asus-mini-v23SP3 with Asus Firmware Recovery under XP went without a hitch over Cat5.
Reflashing other dd-wrt versions does not cause problem following instruction on dd-wrt wiki pages either.
However, after logging into DD-WRT interface under WindowsXP IE7 or Firefox2.0.0.5
and trying to upgrade or "apply" new settings, the DD-WRT page with become unresponsive and the Asus router locks up...(no ping returned, no "AIR" light)
The Asus router has to be put into "recovery mode"--hold down Reset button until "Power" light flash slowly, then use Asus Firmware Recovery software with Asus original firmware , then repeat flash with DD-WRT firmware.

After a reflash of a fresh copy of DD-WRT on the router, I switch to use Backtrack2 KDE OS. I can connect to the router (wifi/Cat5) and apply setting with Firefox that came with BT2. ALL SETTINGS WERE FUNCTIONAL!

I was running Backtrack2 on one computer to configuring the router, and the other computer to monitor updated settings. I can log into DD-WRT interface under WindowsXP and browse around, but I would not "save" or "apply" any setting as this will likely LOCK UP the router.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DD-WRT Repeater mode note:
I had put the router in "Repeater" mode under the name "linksys"
Around my neighborhood, there were 5 "linksys" SSID, and my Asus-wl500gP just repeat the first / strongest "linksys" it sees. If I put the router in WDS links, it will hog some of the bandwidth. Does DD-WRT offer MAC filter to specific router/AP host in repeater mode without using WDS?

Router vs Pc Card...signal strength received
Both of my computer can pick wifi much easier than the Asus-wl500gp router.
I was surprise that the IPW2200/2100 and WPC54G cards pick up better signal that the Asus router as wireless client. Both of my Intel miniPCI with internal antenna and Linksys card stub antenna bet out Asus-wl500gP with dipolar and internal antennas. As client, my computers can put up more than 10 APs, but Asus-wl500gP can pick up only a few even with Left/Right antenna configuration and power increased. Does any body knows why?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: