Netgear WNR834Bv2 - is it supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
carpediem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The 14853 NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small should from what I can see give you a small jffs data partition around 64Kb.
Did you remember to tick the box for jffs cleaning and reboot the router?

Mmm .. yes, after flashing the new one, I did the 30-30-30 thingy, configured it (without touching jffs), then :
- enabled jffs
- saved, waited
- applied, waited
- selected to clear it, applied, waited
- selected to not clear it, saved.

Should I try it again ?

jffs is mounted .. have nothing inside it, but df still reports 0 blocks available.

btw, I wonder if another post of mine was related with running that old version of dd-wrt with openvpn and jffs :
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77138

Cheers
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
If memory serves me then you have to do a reboot for the cleaning to take place, it is not enough with only save and apply.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
mm .. just tried it :

- disable jffs, save it, wait, reboot
- enable jffs, save it, wait, reboot
- clear jffs, save it, wait, reboot

Still displays 0 blocks available Sad
Skydiver
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm, all i do everytime is :

enable jffs
enable cleaning

hit apply, wait about 1 minute, no reboot required.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The 14853 NEWD_openvpn_jffs_small should from what I can see give you a small jffs data partition around 64Kb.
Did you remember to tick the box for jffs cleaning and reboot the router?

Have to take back that, you'll have to use an older smaller build if you want jffs.

The 14853 build is 0x329000 bytes long so the last 0x9000 of it will reside in the beginning of a 128KB flash sector. dd-wrt can not place the jffs partition in that sector because if we erase jffs then we would also erase the last 0x9000 bytes of the firmware.

So you will lose the remaining 0x17000 (92KB) of that sector, they can't be used for anything and have only 320KB left for jffs because you have a stoopid Netgear router, otherwise you would have had 384KB.

320KB is what jffs needs for itself (directory structure and update records) so no room for any data Sad

You'll have to browse through Eko's builds to find the most recent one which is ~40Kb smaller than 14853..
It will give you 128KB of available jffs data.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well .. I tried to look several releases back Sad ... but none is small enough, according to the offset that you mentioned.

From what I remember from some years ago, there's no build script (working out of the box) for dd-wrt right ? .. so not an easy thing to try to remove some features in order to free up space Sad .. or am I wrong ?

Thanks
carpediem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've looked onto dev pages and found the section about modifying an existing image.

Looking around into the decompressed image, I've found that I can remove some features that I don't use like AnchorFree, hotspot, etc. - which I don't think it would be useful for someone looking to use VPN tunnels on the router (but I'm not judging if maybe someone uses them). Ultimately removing even the PPTP client/server and their binaries should leave me enough space.

The big question is : Is there any way that I can test my changes (mainly /etc/www and some changes into /etc/config files) without having to flash it to the router ? I don't want to "semi-brick" my router just because I got some syntax error somewhere.

(should I start this discussion onto another thread ?)

carpediem wrote:

From what I remember from some years ago, there's no build script (working out of the box) for dd-wrt right ? .. so not an easy thing to try to remove some features in order to free up space Sad .. or am I wrong ?

Thanks
jack_mcdowell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
carpediem wrote:
I've looked onto dev pages and found the section about modifying an existing image.

Looking around into the decompressed image, I've found that I can remove some features that I don't use like AnchorFree, hotspot, etc. - which I don't think it would be useful for someone looking to use VPN tunnels on the router (but I'm not judging if maybe someone uses them). Ultimately removing even the PPTP client/server and their binaries should leave me enough space.

The big question is : Is there any way that I can test my changes (mainly /etc/www and some changes into /etc/config files) without having to flash it to the router ? I don't want to "semi-brick" my router just because I got some syntax error somewhere.

(should I start this discussion onto another thread ?)

carpediem wrote:

Thanks

Carpediem, I too need to flash this router with an openvpn build. Please update us if you find a solution to the problem. Thanks.
carpediem
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
A solution I've found .. but I don't have the guts of flashing my router with it, since I have no way of recovering if I screw something up (badly).

The solution is to edit the image and remove features that you don't need Smile
jack_mcdowell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
carpediem wrote:
A solution I've found .. but I don't have the guts of flashing my router with it, since I have no way of recovering if I screw something up (badly).

The solution is to edit the image and remove features that you don't need Smile

I feel the same way... I figure I might as well spend 75 on the asus rt-n16 and have an extra router than risk bricking this one. Especially since this router has the problem that it saves the MAC information in the Flash memory....
giz1007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:57    Post subject: Unbrick Netgear WNR834b Reply with quote
Recent convert to DD-wrt and like most I eventually bricked the unit.
I was running Mini fine and then did an upgrade and the system bricked.
I did try the usual things hard reset, the 30/30/30 all to no avail
Tried to ping from windows, nothing.
But at last success and it's an option that i didn't see in the forum before so here's what to do.

1. Bricked wnr834b v1 shows the pwr led flashing green / amber.

2. Goto the netgear website and download the latest version of the original firmware.

3. in windows run cmd.

4. type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 <location of firmware>
5. click enter
6. it will fail. "Speed is necessary for completing this process you'll see below why
7. type ping 192.168.1.1
8. Press the rest button on the system, hold it in
9. unplug the pwr cord.
10. Now timing is important, Do points (11 - 14)really quick in sequence ~ >2sec.
11. plug power in
12. release reset
13. hit the enter button on the keyboard
14. You should see the wnr834b provide a ping response.
15. once you have the command prompt back, use the up arrow on your keyboard to highlight the tftp point 4 above.
16. hit enter.

Transfer success should now appear on the screen.

Your system will now be unbricked.

Hopefully this will work for anyone who has bricked their unit.
Cool
sparcx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there a particular EKO build version that everyone is using these days for this router?

The firmware recommendations topic has posted ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn15230/

Just want to doublecheck the experiences for newd svn15230 on this router.
NoIZz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have router NetGear WNR834B v2

I flashing firmware (from router page in router database):

1 step: Netgear WNR834Bv2 Firmware: Special file for initial flashing via WEB dd-wrt.v24_mini-wnr834bv2.chk
2 step: Mini Generic dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
3 step: NoKaid Generic dd-wrt.v24_nokaid_generic.bin

1. Now after several hours of idle time the router hangs up
2. Wireless-n the adapters only connecting at 130-135 mbps (Use TP-Link and LG USB 2.0 adapters)
3. How to view router logs?
4. Whether is firmware better or more stable for my router then i used?

PS Sorry for my english...
stefandoesinger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25    Post subject: Pin short recovery Reply with quote
I have a theory why unbricking the WNR834bv2 with the pin short method sometimes fails: I tried to do this, and apparently applied too much force to the pins and connected pins 15 and 16(I tried to count the pins starting from pin 13). Now my router makes a quiet, but audible sound, no leds light up when I plug it in and it can't be pinged. I guess it is bricked for good now.

I think the router died from a HW failure before that after about 2 years of service - it suddenly started rebooting after a few minutes, then seconds, then it never managed to boot up fully. 30-30-30 reset didn't help, TFTP flash via bootloader didn't work. I'll try to JTAG it out of curiosity, but I think the problem it had before I destroyed the flash chip pins was a HW problem, not a software issue, so JTAG won't fix it either.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26    Post subject: Re: Pin short recovery Reply with quote
stefandoesinger wrote:
I have a theory why unbricking the WNR834bv2 with the pin short method sometimes fails: I tried to do this, and apparently applied too much force to the pins and connected pins 15 and 16(I tried to count the pins starting from pin 13). Now my router makes a quiet, but audible sound, no leds light up when I plug it in and it can't be pinged. I guess it is bricked for good now.

I think the router died from a HW failure before that after about 2 years of service - it suddenly started rebooting after a few minutes, then seconds, then it never managed to boot up fully. 30-30-30 reset didn't help, TFTP flash via bootloader didn't work. I'll try to JTAG it out of curiosity, but I think the problem it had before I destroyed the flash chip pins was a HW problem, not a software issue, so JTAG won't fix it either.

Yeah...sounds like a power distribution problem on the motherboard.

Here's something to check since its been pin shorted previously.

Get a good strong light, a magnifying glass and a razor blade. Make sure none of the flash chip pin legs are shorted. It happens commonly when pin shorting is done. It happens because of 2 things...1 - the pin shorting was done incorrectly by dragging the metal shorting object across pins and an arch occurred...this arch can cause metal to "spray" across numerous pins.....2 - because the pins are attached to the PCB with solder and solder is so soft...the lead in the solder "mashes" and creates a bridge of solder from pin to pin. Use the razor blade to go between all the effected pins and remove any bridging/shorting from the flash pins. Also check surrounding areas of the flash chip as an arch can cause tiny microscopic metal fragments to be deposited in the surrounding areas.

I'm not sure it will fix your issue...but its worth a look.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: