How come everyone ignores BOOT_WAIT feature?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
condor11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:39    Post subject: How come everyone ignores BOOT_WAIT feature????? Reply with quote
I am sorry if this is my first post and I come off sounding harsh, but I searched through all the DD-WRT wiki and forums and there are no clear instructions on how to use BOOT_WAIT parameter, how to set it up.

I see a ton of messages from people crying they bricked their router. But of course they would, because noone told them they need to setup BOOT_WAIT before their experiments.

Just very surprised that of all other things such an important feature is not mentioned ANYWHERE on this site.
Sponsor
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
welcome to the forum

just so your post doesn't get ignored or flamed, let me say this :

boot-wait is enabled by default whenever you flash dd-wrt.

that's been the case for years.

I agree that there are a lot of brick-whiners posting, but there's no rash of people who do so after disabling boot-wait.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
dicksons wrote:
welcome to the forum

just so your post doesn't get ignored or flamed, let me say this :

boot-wait is enabled by default whenever you flash dd-wrt.

that's been the case for years.

I agree that there are a lot of brick-whiners posting, but there's no rash of people who do so after disabling boot-wait.

Great, thanks for clarifications. I will immediately got to your wiki and write that stuff in the instruction. Hopefully this will save time for the next poor soul trying to understand the BOOT_WAIT mystery.

Can you also confirm that doing load firmware defaults by holding RESET and power cycling WILL restore NVRAM properly and it will have BOOT_WAIT=ON?

Thanks again!
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:06    Post subject: Re: How come everyone ignores BOOT_WAIT feature????? Reply with quote
condor11 wrote:
I am sorry if this is my first post and I come off sounding harsh,

Naw, don't be so hard on yourself. Frankly, nobody really gives a damn. Boot wait is the 5 second interval just after power is applied that allows you to wazoo firmware up the router's keester with out needing to use the gui. You can disable boot wait to make it harder for n000bs to flash your router later. You can also disable the reset button so it will not erase anything when pushed. Both settings are still set to default with a 3 minute power cycle reset.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: