Lower download speed with Afterburner enabled on WHR-HP-G54

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:46    Post subject: Lower download speed with Afterburner enabled on WHR-HP-G54 Reply with quote
I have updated the original firmware to DD-WRT V.23 SP2 Standard. I have changed the wireless transmitter output on the wireless side power to 10mw and modified boardflags setting in nvram to as suggested by the installation Wiki. Wink Everything seems to be fine except the transmitting speed between my wireless client (Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54s) and router on Wireless Status page in DD-WRT. Basically, the rate has been fluctuated from 5 ~ 11 Mbps with Afterburner enabled. But, it will be another story if I set it “disable” that it can keep the rate on 54 Mbps. To verify that difference, I have compared the download speed shown on Flashget.

Afterburner disabled: (tried 5 times)

Speed: 1,000 ~ 1,100 KB (that is basically the same as if using the wired connection)

Afterburner enabled: (tried 5 times)

Speed: 150 ~ 220 KB Sad

I am so surprised and frustrated about the result. The HP model is designed to produce higher performance and speed. However, the fact is telling me that it is not the case. My impression is that I got a product with higher cost while having a lower expected performance. Shocked I will probably restore back the original Buffalo firmware to check this issue.
Sponsor
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just found the website discussing the Speedbooster technology. I am thinking there may be somthing to do with it. ....

http://www.hyperwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=953
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
After the whole night trial and error using the method suggested by the above link, I got nothing to improving the speed except to resort to disable the afterburner. Shocked Now, I got 2 questions hoping the members here can tell me. Question

1) I found the DD-WRT show my router as WHR-G54S. I suspect that is it somthings to do to my poor speed? Other HP users can tell me how about yours?

2) I basically will try to restore back the original firmwire. But, it seems that there are no any hints on doing so from WIKI. Can I just update the original firmware through the GUI in DD-WRT? Or something else?

Thanks Wink
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are getting wired speed without speedbooster, why are you trying speedbooster?

OpsCenter
ofbarea
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
alexwai wrote:
2) I basically will try to restore back the original firmwire. But, it seems that there are no any hints on doing so from WIKI. Can I just update the original firmware through the GUI in DD-WRT? Or something else?

Check this post Mr. Green
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpsCenter wrote:
If you are getting wired speed without speedbooster, why are you trying speedbooster?

OpsCenter

I don't understand why the Buffalo claim HP model with the newer technology is faster than normal G product while it is not true in my case. Enabling afterburner will result in lower speed. Thus, I probably do something wrong and ask for help from all of yours guys. Sad
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
alexwai wrote:
OpsCenter wrote:

OpsCenter

I don't understand why the Buffalo claim HP model with the newer technology is faster than normal G product while it is not true in my case. Enabling afterburner will result in lower speed. Thus, I probably do something wrong and ask for help from all of yours guys. Sad

Afterburner NOT = the amplifier found in the HP model. You need to set the proper boardflags first for your HP unit to activate the amplifier. As for the Afterburner, well you gotta test it out first as sometimes it causes problems.

Adi
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
ofbarea wrote:
alexwai wrote:

Check this post Mr. Green

Thanks for your help. however, the guys seems to fail to flash back the original firmware with tftp. Shocked
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:
alexwai wrote:
OpsCenter wrote:

OpsCenter

Afterburner NOT = the amplifier found in the HP model. You need to set the proper boardflags first for your HP unit to activate the amplifier. As for the Afterburner, well you gotta test it out first as sometimes it causes problems.

Adi

I have already mentioned on my 1st post and checked that the boardflags has been successfully activated. Wink
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, wow, i just realised why my speeds were SO CRAPPY for my WDS link... The after burner was set to AUTO. As soon as i set it to Disable on both routers, the link went from a ghetto 11mbps to 48mbps !!

So, i would highly recommend to anyone to disable this thig.

Adi
alexwai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:
Oh, wow, i just realised why my speeds were SO CRAPPY for my WDS link... The after burner was set to AUTO. As soon as i set it to Disable on both routers, the link went from a ghetto 11mbps to 48mbps !!

Adi

That's mean I am not alone. Shocked
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are never alone.

But the afterburner thing and other tricks may not be optimized with this firmware...as it is just a trick, designed to win PR wars. I think that we have all given up on it and other items like it long ago.

If the unit works great without it, then 'why' is a valid question.

OpsCenter
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
alexwai wrote:
adisor19 wrote:

Adi

That's mean I am not alone. Shocked

Definetly NOT alone. I've been doing some more tests with this and it seems that WDS combined with WPA encyption and SpeedBooster ON = no go. As soon as i turn off Afterburner/SpeedBooster, WDS with WPA instantly starts working.. tested with final SP1.

Adi
colindean
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't Afterburner only work with appropriate Buffalo wireless NICs?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
colindean wrote:
Doesn't Afterburner only work with appropriate Buffalo wireless NICs?

Afterburner only works with Wireless nics based on more recent Broadcom chipsets.. It needs proper driver support as well.

Adi
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: