I think i may have a bricked wrt54g..please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
iXiPHoCiSiXi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 23:27    Post subject: I think i may have a bricked wrt54g..please help Reply with quote
Hello everyone, im back..havent been on in forever..

I've had a Buffalo WHR-G-54S for a while, and i want to revert back to my WRT54g..so i found the correct power cord for the wrt and replaced it with my buffalo..but now when i power the wrt it does some funny things (and i cant tell if its bricked or not)
So i plug it in and this is what it does:
ALL Ethernet port LED light up (ports 1,2,3,4)
The internet LED lights up
The Wireless G LED lights up
and the power LED keeps blinking on AND off

So im assuming it IS bricked..and this is what i tried to do.
I pressed and held the reset button for 30 secs
that did nothing
So then i turned the WRT off and held the reset button and plugged the power back in and held the reset button for 30 seconds

At this point i cannot ping the router nor can i use tftp to put the ddwrt bin file into my router

I thought since i havent turned the WRT on in about 3-4 months maybe it lost the bin file or something, so i figured if i reload DDWRT onto it everything should be fine.

Apparently not, cus i cant load it on..

So im wondering if i should just go out and get another WRT or what..im lost. is my router bricked??

--Thanks
---PHoCiS

Sponsor
vinniet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello ... It seems like the same thing happened to me. I tried everything, same as you. I googled like crazy and found something on Linksys site.

See my post below:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13701&highlight=

Good luck. I has to try it several times and finally I was able to get the Linksys firmware on and I switched it to DD-WRT. All worked after that.

Vinnie
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry...with that many lights on...you're bricked. You will need a JTAG cable to clear the NVRAM section of the flash memory chip.

If you have an extra $35 laying round...get a buffalo WHR-G54S. You'll have a better wireless unit for the money.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah but the thing that makes me curious is..the fact that i DID NOT use it for like 3 months, then i go to turn it on and its bricked...wtf.. and i know it worked when i disconnected it to replace it with the Buffalo...so after 3 months of no use, it would just brick..it doesnt make sense...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
agreed...it shouldn't brick just by powering it off...or on for that matter...the fact is...its currently bricked.

You may find this post interesting though.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8895

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh well looks like im gunna have to do the best buy trick..just go buy another one and return the broken one in the new box..oh well..

but the problem again is..now im going to be getting a v7 or v8 WRT..which sucks because DDWRT cannot go on these routers..err but atleast i will have a backup router?

its gunna be hard to find a v6...ahh im gunna miss this router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: