HOWTO - Hacking the WRVS4400N Dual-CPU Router

TrNSZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 18:42    Post subject: HOWTO - Hacking the WRVS4400N Dual-CPU Router Reply with quote
I wrote a quick HOWTO for getting shell access and more to the Dual-ARM Linksys Business managed Gigabit VPN 802.11n WRVS4400N router and some information on how it works.

If anyone is interested: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58720

I hope this is the right place to post. This isn't Broadcom-based, but it is Linksys and questions have been asked about it.
Sponsor
eduncan911
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am bumping this post as it was exactly what I was looking for.

Awesome job TrNSZ!

There is talk here on DD-WRT about other dual-radio 802.11n devices that are slowly starting to be supoorted in the latest builds (read WRT600N I wanted, before I read your thread). Problem is, they are not controlling both radios - and you are forced to only 2.4Ghz operation.

It's going to be a challenge for them to get the UI and code updated for the dual radios. But I suspect after a few versions of DD-WRT are released that support dual radios, a port to this kick-ass router using the CPU and driver binaries ripped from the current LinkSys source (have they released it?) shouldn't be too-complicated.

Except, what do you do with the 2nd CPU in the WRVS4400NX?

I like what you have found about how to talk to the 2nd CPU via Gigabit that they do. That's a lot of ram and CPU power they have in this device. I would imaging runnign DD-WRT on the big CPU, and leave the other one alone and continue to talk to it via sendcmd.

It's what i would code for...

BUMP BUMP BUMP! Guys, this is hte hardware to start hacking.
eduncan911
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fyi, I dropped support for the wrvs4400n. While it does have dual radios, Linksys is only using one. Per a very high number of calls to Linksys, they actually told me, "While the hardware does have dual radios, only one is in use with this version 1.0. The next version of the wrvs4400n will enable the 2nd radio and have 5.8Ghz ability. Unfortuantly, the version you have will not be firmware upgradable."

That ended the saga for me; and, I exchanged it for the wrt600n at Dell. Man, Dell's customer service is AWESOME (they did it for the same price, shhhh).
socalnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:11    Post subject: Has anyone figured out the WRVS4400N v1 or v2 yet? Reply with quote
I am still looking for anyone that would like to continue developing on this platform. Either ver 1.0, 1.1, or v2.0. BUMP!
qfadder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12    Post subject: WRVS4400N Reply with quote
BUMP. I was wondering if there will be any effort to have DD-WRT on the WRVS4400N?

-Thanks in advance.
(DD-WRT is awesome!)
chaos519
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a WRVS4400Nv2 and this still works, using some javascript.

The TraceRoute-tekst-field is being checked in two locations:

1) the onclick of the start-button
2) the onsubmit of the form

using FireBug in Firefox I've changed the two values to:

1)
Code:
this.form.todo.value='tracert_test'; openDataSubWin('tracert.htm', bigsub);  this.form.submit()

2)
Code:
return true;

what does this do?
1) It does not trigger the checkData() function, but executes openDataSubWin(), which normally would have been triggered by checkData() when all data validates.
2) Just submit instead of checking before submitting.[/code]

I hope this encourages people to further work on the WRVS4400N I would really like DD-WRT for it!
jb68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a V2 version with latest firmware. Worked based on chaos indications.

Hidden_telnet.htm is still there however doesn't works anymore.

FTP for files to start shell is long gone. Any idea how to get a shell on it?
d0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
bit late, but maybe someone else is interested in.

"fix" the diagnostics page like chaos519 described it.
then you should be able to execute
; /usr/bin/ftpget -v someFTP /usr/sbin/utelnetd utelnetd
i've used the utelnetd included in rvs4000_v1.1.12_gpl-3.tgz available through http://de.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_openlinksys/releases/
but i'll attach that file here so theres no need to get the 220 mb file.

anyway, when the utelnetd is at its place, you could try the /Hidden_telnet.htm, which starts the /usr/sbin/utelnetd, or if this is already blocked in 2.0.1.3 apply the fix to the diagnostics page again and run ; /usr/sbin/utelnetd -p XXX -l /bin/sh -d
where -p defines the port
-l the prog to execute
and -d demonizes the utelnetd

since there is no login -> add firewall rules in advance to prevent access from WAN or better: disconnect WAN till the next restart.

utelnetd.pdf
 Description:
rename it to utelnetd (without extension) but the forum won't accept the file without

Download
 Filename:  utelnetd.pdf
 Filesize:  10.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1415 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: