Stupid WRT54G v8 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mcantrell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:04    Post subject: Stupid WRT54G v8 Questions Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I have some rather silly questions. I've tried searching the Wiki and Forum, and I'm still hesitant to proceed without someone wiser than I double checking my work.

I followed the WRT54Gv8 upgrade instructions to the letter. My only major hangup was needing to find a tftp client, but that worked quite well after I did so. One weird thing was that after the Maintenance mode told me to unplug (and the instructions told me to wait 2 minutes), I paused for 3 minutes, power cycled, waited, power cycled again per the instructions, and no power LED came on. However, after waiting a few minutes I power cycled the router again and it worked fine.

So my questions are as follows:

1. CFEUpdater.bin -- My pmon_ver is 4.151.10.5.DD20071008, so I am assuming I do not have to update this. However, how would I do so, if I need to? Download CFEUpdater.bin and run that as a firmware upgrade?

2. I have a WRT54Gv8. My Status page says I have the following RAM statistics:

Memory
Total Available 77% 6348 kB / 8192 kB
Free 8% 504 kB / 6348 kB
Used 92% 5844 kB / 6348 kB
Buffers 4% 224 kB / 5844 kB
Cached 21% 1252 kB / 5844 kB
Active 19% 1116 kB / 5844 kB
Inactive 7% 380 kB / 5844 kB

However, I am currently running the micro version of the software. A major reason for the purchase of this router and the installation of the software was to get kaid installed and running, and the Micro version seems to lack Jffs and and native kaid. (at the very least, following the instructions here has failed to give me any luck -- presumably because Micro does not have that.

So my plan was to just upgrade to standard or mini, so I could either get "native" kaid or just install it via jffs (if that is possible).

However, I am worried about blowing it up. It certainly doesn't look like I have much room to work with -- will my router support the mini instead of the micro?

I have printed the "how to recover from a bad flash" wiki pages just in case, but I'd rather not have to go that route if possible.

Will the Gui warn me if the firmware version I am trying to install is too big for my router? Or will it simply let it do what it wants and then refuse to work afterwards?

Finally, #3:

From where I'm at now (freshly installed DD-WRT on WRT54Gv8-24-micro), what is my best option for getting kaid working? Go back and find a better WRT54G? ;)

Thanks for any advice that you can supply me.
Sponsor
mcantrell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Er, Bump? Anyone have any idea if KaiD will ever work with a v8?
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
With that Pmon version, you do not need to upgrade. If you need to, yes, you would upgrade it thru the Admin -> Firmware -> Upgrade page. Your Gv8 does not have enough flash space to put anything on except the firmware that was designed for it, so the micro version that you have installed is the only firmware available for it.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take it back! Snatch up a Buffalo before they are all gone! V8 linksys SUCKS!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: