ath9k vs DD-wrt's MadWifi driver for all Atheros routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
pbuck
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 21:57    Post subject: ath9k vs DD-wrt's MadWifi driver for all Atheros routers Reply with quote
Hello,

I purchased a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH when I read the announcement of the Buffalo/DD-WRT partnership. I've been having problems with overall wireless N stability and performance with the router: stuck beacon errors leading to disconnection, large file transfers leading to disconnection, problems with certain clients on the network being connected to the router but being unable to access even the router's webgui while every other client continues to operate normally, etc.

Anyway, I've been playing with the router and various configuration options for close to a month now, switching between the latest dd-wrt revision, the latest buffalo firmware, and OpenWRT 10.03/trunk. One thing I've noticed is with OpenWRT I don't seem to ever have any problems with the wireless. Everything stays connected at a high speed.

DD-WRT appears to still be using a modified MadWifi driver with the Atheros closed-source hardware abstraction layer binary while OpenWRT 10.03 uses a relatively-recent version of the open-source ath9k driver and a more recent linux kernel.

My question is: has BrainSlayer or any other DD-WRT developer working on these Buffalo routers or any other router with an Atheros 9x wireless device looked into the possibility of ath9k being more suitable for use? Is there any way to enable it ourselves?

Can we get a firmware revision with this driver enabled for testing?

More info: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

Last edited by pbuck on Tue May 18, 2010 19:26; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
flytiger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
exactly want I want to know too.
The infamous beacon stuck of Madwifi bothered me a lot.

Open-wrt is not a choice for me since it doesn't support client repeater mode (or client wds) for Atheros devices.

->Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH x 2
vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ pbuck

Please open a ticket with exact description of the problem and the devs will look into...

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
no ath9k support
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
shame really, from my experience id have to say that dd-wrt is unstable to use with this router. im now back to stock firmware, the new 1.74 buffalo firmware has made the wifi very stable and iv had no issues with it now.

i cant see even the official dd-wrt for this router from buffalo being any better than the stock firmware in regards to wifi stability and speed. unless there is a dramatic change made to dd-wrt in the next few months.
pbuck
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
no ath9k support

Why not?
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
licence requirements.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
management decision
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
you sure about that? the ath9k open source GPL states that closed source firmware cannot contain the ath9k open source driver. due to those restrictions dd-wrt cannot use it.

so since dd-wrt is mostly closed source ( due to management decision as you stated) the ath9k driver cannot be used without breaking licence agreement.
pbuck
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
management decision

How much of this decision has to do with sales of the SuperChannel feature? 100%? Are we stuck with an inferior and unstable driver because you guys want to sell a binary-only version of a firmware that is built upon years and years of GPL code?

Here's a quote from the press release: “With DD-WRT, we now deliver professional grade solutions at entry-level prices.”

I'm certainly not seeing professional grade wireless performance and I'm a bit miffed I bought into the marketing hype. Maybe we'll see some fixes but so far I'm not holding my breath. Very disappointing.
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
does superchannel only add the option of selecting channels 12, 13 and 14 or is there other benefits and features added by superchannel?
vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbuck wrote:
Sash wrote:
management decision

How much of this decision has to do with sales of the SuperChannel feature? 100%? Are we stuck with an inferior and unstable driver because you guys want to sell a binary-only version of a firmware that is built upon years and years of GPL code?

All this has to do with making money...

pbuck wrote:

Very disappointing.

VERY...

Last edited by vpritiskovic on Tue May 18, 2010 23:03; edited 2 times in total
ratickle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 21:42    Post subject: A Win-Win situation? Reply with quote
Could it be that DD-WRT will use some of the driver technology from Buffalo's WZR-HP-G300NH firmware when they build the version of DD-WRT firmware that is going to be pre-installed on the router being sold by Buffalo in July?

That might not be a bad idea since Buffalo's firmware seems to do a better job of supporting Wireless-N than the current DD-WRT firmware does for the WZR-HP-G300NH.
flytiger
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Re: A Win-Win situation? Reply with quote
ratickle wrote:
Could it be that DD-WRT will use some of the driver technology from Buffalo's WZR-HP-G300NH firmware when they build the version of DD-WRT firmware that is going to be pre-installed on the router being sold by Buffalo in July?

That might not be a bad idea since Buffalo's firmware seems to do a better job of supporting Wireless-N than the current DD-WRT firmware does for the WZR-HP-G300NH.

The Buffalo version of DD-WRT firmware should have all those issues solved (I hope), otherwise, there is no point for Buffalo to release a buggy firmware while current firmware is very stable.

Chances are:
1. DD-WRT for wzr-hp-g300nh reuses current driver in buffalo.
2. or DD-WRT fixes all the bugs related to MadWIFI driver and current Atheros HAL (which is not likely, since the bug is there for years, and users complained for years as well)
3. Buffalo will delay (or drop?) the DD-WRT release on WZR-HP-G300NH.

Personally, I liked DD-WRT very much several years back. However, DD-WRT slowly changed to something business oriented direction.
Management Decision? I am not sure why the management will agree to use some thirdparty with such buggy implementation.

->Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH x 2
chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

i can tell you, that the decision we did in the past regarding the N-Driver was a technical decision only.

We did a lot of compares, and by the time we needed to decide that, ath9k was far away from the state that we could use it.

Keep posted, things might change faster than you expect it Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: