!!HELP!! - WOL - Magic Packet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dark_half
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 19:27    Post subject: !!HELP!! - WOL - Magic Packet Reply with quote
Hey everyone

I have recently started using v23 SP2 of DD-WRT and think its fantastic.

One problem I have though is I can't for the life of me get Wake On Lan working over the internet.

I have a WRT54G v1.1 and the firmware above installed.

I have followed the wiki which describes adding a port range forward and also inserting a static arp entry into the startup for the router.

Also the WOL option under administration doesn't work.

I can switch my other PC on over my LAN no problem using WOL but not over the internet (WAN).

My other PC will come on from a turned off state, I have also added a static dhcp entry for this PC by using the MAC address.

Can someone help me out as i've searched the forum but can't seem to find a resolution Crying or Very sad

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wake on WAN works under v24 (pre-RC5 8406). I used it just the other day.

Make sure your pc/network card supports WOL and that it is switched on in the bios and/or network card properties.

Also, remember that when waking from the internet, you must use your external IP address, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.255

You can test it from within your lan by using this internet site
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx
dark_half
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you noticed any bugs in v24 RC5?

Also did you forward a port for use with a WoL utility/website applet or did you use thw WOL feature of the firmware?

Would you be able to run me through how you setup yours please? Smile

Thanks for the quick reply btw....
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use a pre-release version of RC5 (svn build 8406, released in a topic by Eko) that has been working very well for me on my WHR-G125.

By the way you described it, I seem to have used the same procedure as you. Unless you followed a different wiki than I.

Basically I just enter these commands in startup script. Administrations > Commands

ip neigh change 192.168.1.12 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.1.12 lladdr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX nud permanent dev br0

Replace XX with your PC's MAC address.

I suppose the above was for a static ARP entry. But I also set a static DHCP entry just in case. And forwarded port 7 udp as well.

I was able to wake up my PC in the LAN from another PC by using that website I posted earlier. The website is on the internet, so effectively this was wake on WAN because the magic packet was being sent from the computer on the internet.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, (new post in case you read through the last one already)

Being that the WOL from the dd-wrt Administration tab doesn't work. It sounds to me like WOL might not be enabled on your PC.

Check in the properties of your PC's BIOS and/or Network card. If you need some help doing that just hollar.
dark_half
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
WOL is enabled on my PC, that is the first thing I checked before setting it all up Smile

Plus I tested it over my LAN and it worked fine, I just couldn't get it working over the Internet.

Thanks for the instructions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: