Airlink AR430w flashing instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try hard reset and start over from the beginning. Make sure you don't use windows telnet!
Sponsor
Samstag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
body-snatch-her wrote:
Try hard reset and start over from the beginning. Make sure you don't use windows telnet!

Hard reset doesn't seem to accomplish anything. It doesn't go through the normal self-test on power up and doesn't respond at 192.168.20.80.

I was using Putty and following brandon30x's procedure.

Edit: I did manage to bring them back to life with a reset. I was using the procedure from the manual (press and hold 10 seconds while the router is ON) and that does not work, but holding the reset during initial power up does work and you get the usual self-test 5 seconds afterwards.

I can't retry the flashing today as I just returned the switch I was using (direct connect is too slow to get the Redboot prompt) but tomorrow I'll give it another shot.
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you enter commands make sure you press enter only once... as soon as you hit it a second time then that blows it. It's hard because there isn't any active feedback since all of the return text seems to come just before the process completes. It's more of a nerve wracking experience than when I did my F*n! Hang in there though, it should work out fine in the end!
chiefwigms
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
so is it possible to get the AR430W to work as a Repeater (for AutoAP)? I saw the "don't worry, be happy", but it mentioned you can't connect to the router wirelessly in this mode Sad
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey does anyone use JFFS2 on the AR430W? I saw a thread for the F*nera (btw why is their name so commonly asterisked?) saying that enabling JFFS2 bricked it.. I can't find anything specific about JFFS2 and AR430W but I'm not going to assume that it will work considering stuff like Site Survey don't work (nothing shows up in the list). If JFFS2 is safe and/or Site Survey is supposed to work, please say so! :D

Oh and thanks brandon30x for the excellent walkthrough.
aamilo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
Hey does anyone use JFFS2 on the AR430W? I saw a thread for the F*nera (btw why is their name so commonly asterisked?) saying that enabling JFFS2 bricked it.. I can't find anything specific about JFFS2 and AR430W but I'm not going to assume that it will work considering stuff like Site Survey don't work (nothing shows up in the list). If JFFS2 is safe and/or Site Survey is supposed to work, please say so! :D

Oh and thanks brandon30x for the excellent walkthrough.

I seem to have a working Site Survey on my router. Right now I'm not using it's wireless and I have the antenna off but since it's sitting on my WRT54G, I do pick it up on the site survey.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
the Fonera name is asterisked of one reason.

read this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14735

its not my fault that FON is one of the evil "wannabe microsoft" companies.

from the law situation is absolutelly legal to use the full name for the fonera here, since fon never got a trademark in germany (fon is a common name and cannot be registered)

but i dont want to get into expensive lawsuites

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey when I opened up the AR430W to look at the chips, it seems that the RAM connected to the Atheros chip is 128MB... model number M12L128168A
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/581/M12L128168A.php
You can check the attached picture for yourself.

I'm assuming many other routers have this sort of size too, but anyway, in DD-WRT the amount of RAM available is 16MB. Is it possible to utilize the entire 128MB? If not, whats the reason? Is the chip unable to address that much space?

EDIT:
Removed attachment, picture showed by default and its just too huge.

EDIT2:
Previously attached picture as just a link:
http://www.mylilsite.net/images/sdar430w.jpg
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5, perhaps megabit vs. megabyte ... Wink
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh. That works out then haha. Oh yeah in one of the previous pages you said you got the repeater function working. Given that I've bricked the AR430W I had, by enabling JFFS2 (I'll get a new one soon), I can't check at this point, but "Repeater" shows up as an option in Wireless Mode, right? I ask this because my memory of that particular drop-down didn't have "Repeater." I'll be needing the repeater function soon to simply repeat an unencrypted AP. Will the AR430W pull this off for me? Razz Otherwise I'll probably look into other DD-WRT supported models..
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to say that, yes it's a drop-down menu choice. I am not near my 430, so I can't confirm 100%, but that's certainly the case with the Linkys I can see right now - I am actually using "repeater bridge".
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Repeater Bridge" would mean the 430 still acts as an AP I can connect to, right? Sorry, that one sounds like a stupid question but I must be sure. The AP signal I want to repeat is weak and can only be stably connected to at a place I can't sit down at. I've been using a USB wifi adapter through a USB extension cord and I'd love to stop doing that and just stick the router in the receivable area.
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you can connect to a "repeater bridge". I am doing that right now.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't specify this very clearly earlier, the AR430W is not physically connected to the unprotected AP I want to repeat. I want it to be able to wirelessly connect to that AP and.. you know.. repeat. You say that it will work, but all the other posts say you need one (Atheros) router to be the client and another to be physically connected to that router and acting as the AP. This leads me to believe you probably thought the AR430W would be physically connected to the unprotected AP. It is not. So it won't work out the way I want it to, right?
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
I didn't specify this very clearly earlier, the AR430W is not physically connected to the unprotected AP I want to repeat. I want it to be able to wirelessly connect to that AP and.. you know.. repeat. You say that it will work, but all the other posts say you need one (Atheros) router to be the client and another to be physically connected to that router and acting as the AP. This leads me to believe you probably thought the AR430W would be physically connected to the unprotected AP. It is not. So it won't work out the way I want it to, right?

I used my AR430W to do just what you are asking for. Currently the firmware is to flaky for my taste, RC5 is better than RC6, so I went back to using my old Motorola instead; it has two dead LAN ports, so I have to use a switch as well, that's why I was hoping to replace it with the 430.

My set up is:
- D-link wbr-2310 connected to a cable modem.
- WRT54G as a client bridge to the WBR - only about 10m apart and only one inside wall.
- Motorola WR850G as a client to the virtual interface on the WRT and allowing connections to its own virtual interface. This is across one street and two outside walls.

Variations on this setup at my parents' and some of relatives' and friends' places. (I am always buying used DD-WRT compatible hardware, as hardly any month goes by without someone doing the "I heard you set up a router and ... can you please ...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: