Airlink AR430w flashing instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 21:53    Post subject: httpd becomes worse now... Reply with quote
After about 24 hours of p2p, the web interface of ar430 (dd-wrt v24) became worse. Before that, although httpd is dead, you can manually restart httpd in dd-wrt (ssh or telnet to it) and it will work for a while until you click -status-wan. Now any http link to ar430w will crash the web interface. Run httpd manually, then visit 192.168.1.1, the web interface will be dead instantly and it can be confirmed by ps command in the console. If you start httpd with another port, such as 8000 (httpd -p 8000), it is the same. As soon as you visit http://192.168.1.1:8000, httpd at port 8000 will be dead instantly. Finally, I restarted dd-wrt and disabled "WAN Traffic Counter" under services-services tab. P2P is running on another machine, test continues... Hope this will solve the problem. Otherwise I will rewind to RC6.2.

Update : After 22 hours with "Wan traffic counter" disabled, the webgui is still strong. Will update progress later. Suggest you guys with AR430W/dd-wrt v24 disable "Wan traffic counter" as well.

Update 2: Now router is stable for 2 days and 9 hours. webgui is still good. Smile Strongly suggest you guys with AR430W/dd-wrt v24 disable "Wan traffic counter" as well.

Update 3: Router is stable for 4 days even under P2P. Webgui is still good.

Update 4: I think this solved the problem. Razz Crippled the function of DD-WRT though.
Updated on Aug. 30, 2008.

Last edited by daviddyer on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
katapaltes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 19:44    Post subject: Re: Airlink AR430w flashing instructions Reply with quote
siey2005 wrote:

yes.. it is really disappointed.
it is my third time to get a replaced one.
sigh...

siey2005, I hope you're not bricking these routers and taking them back to the store for a refund, over and over and over. That would be a bit irresponsible and/or unethical.

I've used this discussion thread to flash my new AR430W from Fry's without incident. Thanks to those who have contributed so much here, including, obviously, the dd-wrt author(s).

My AR430W v24-Release doesn't work reliably in Client Bridge mode nor in AP mode (streaming video from my PC to XBMC and from PC to Xbox 360 stalls). I'll try downgrading to v6.2 or earliest supported.

-katapaltes
idletime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:46    Post subject: upgrade fail -- bricked? Reply with quote
I downloaded the latest release:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Atheros WiSoc/Airlink 101 AR430W

My ar430w was using a old version dd-wrt. I logged
into 192.168.1.1 and select update firmware:
select file: ar430w-firmware.bin (download from
link above). After 20 mins waiting, the router
is not responding at all! Tried the reset button,
power on/off, non worked.

Anyone know how to fix it? thanks!
cgigate
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you still can get in RedBoot, just re-do the process.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:40    Post subject: Re: upgrade fail -- bricked? Reply with quote
idletime wrote:
Anyone know how to fix it?
If you were previously running dd-wrt you more than likely can get a telnet DD-WRT> prompt. Read the instructions about using ping and Putty to time the Putty telnet session startup and get the DD-WRT> prompt. I've read that you have a 3-second window to start the telnet session and get the prompt. You need to set your ip address to 192.168.1.1 to do this. After you get the prompt, using a tftp server follow the previously posted flashing instructions.
Dox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:19    Post subject: Good thing this thread exists... Reply with quote
After reading all 22 pages (at the time of this post, at least--have been studying this thing like an exam), I decided to take the plunge to transform my Airlink 101 ar430w router into something better than what I originally paid for (bought two of these at Frys when they were on sale maybe a year or so ago).

Took some hours and several attempts (using a combination of info/instructions mainly from Brandon30x, Smtseng, Valdesc.tol, Dc and Hwittenb's edited post), but it finally worked out, and v24 at that. If there was an emoticon with bags under it's eyes, I'd insert that right here. I'm with Daviddyer when he recommends turning off the Wan Traffic Counter. Seems to help. Actually, info from more than just those folks was useful, but I relied more on some of their posts specifically.

Ok, maybe some of what I went through will help someone else who is courageous and patient enough to give it a shot.

I have cable and dsl at my home (each on its own ar430w), and wanted to switch from regular ATT residential phone service to ViaTalk VOIP.

Trying to use the DSL for the VOIP was an exercise in frustration, and ultimately led me to put dd-wrt on my router. Before the transformation, I could make outgoing calls, and they would last. It was the incoming calls that were always dropped, usually under a minute (before you start yawning, this is an effort to give some background as to why I went the dd-wrt route.)

Anyhow, I use Ubuntu 8.04 and XP on different machines, so I figured one of those would get me to where I needed to be, in terms of making the change.

It turns out, I didn't have to go down the Linux road, since I used PuttyTel and TFTPD32. The tftp app that I downloaded with the files just wasn't doing it (neither was telnet via a DOS prompt). Kept getting the same thing that Mamejunkie did with the "socket recv errors" on p.13 of this thread. Someone else had success with Solarwinds TFTP, but my XP machine didn't have the right .NET version on it, so I didn't care to upgrade just to get that on there (I was using a spare XP machine that I don't turn on all that much, since I didn't want to mess around with changing IP addresses on the machines I use the most).

I was going to try Linux if tftpd32 didn't work. Tftpd32 worked, so that got me to where I needed to be.

Needless to say, after successfully getting dd-wrt v24 on the ar430w router, I could never get it to connect to my ATT DSL modem (Speedstream 5100 ADSL...not the B version). That probably was my downfall, I suppose.

Rather than flashing the ar430w back to it's native firmware, I just decided to use it as a wireless bridge for my DSL (had a spare Belkin wireless router waiting on the bench for just an emergency). Of course, that was possible due to a combination of posts on this forum, plus the tutorials about Wireless Bridges and Repeaters.

As for the VOIP adapter? Hooked it up on the cable internet (Time Warner/RoadRunner modem going to a "native" ar430w) and it worked like it was supposed to. Maybe I'll swap that one out for the one I was able to flash to see if performance increases. For now, I'm beat.

If nothing else, I thank all of you who have shed blood, sweat and tears to get info to people who might want to get a little (or a lot) more bang for their buck. Even if I wasn't able to get the thing to work, I will continue to laugh at Holyhacker's post on page 15, everytime I think of:

"So...I went into the web console, and tried to upgrade the firmware....

KLANG! BRICK!
"

I think I had watched one of those NBA conference finals games earlier in the day, and one of the teams just wasn't shooting all that well. Made me laugh, and laugh (still laughing...) Laughing
PavelR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 21:55    Post subject: Which file to use when upgrading from V24 RC7 to V24 final Reply with quote
I would like to upgrade from RC7 to final, do I use the ar430w-firmware.bin or linux.bin file with the web interface? Or do I have to go through the long, fun process again?
dc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 22:12    Post subject: Re: Which file to use when upgrading from V24 RC7 to V24 fin Reply with quote
PavelR wrote:
I would like to upgrade from RC7 to final, do I use the ar430w-firmware.bin or linux.bin file with the web interface? Or do I have to go through the long, fun process again?

To go from v24-RC7 to v24-final you can just use the web interface and the ar430w-firmware.bin file.

If you are going from an earlier version (rc5.2 or rc6) you need to either follow the redboot path to create the new linux file system in nvram -or- if you've applied the update and your router appears 'hung' you can go into redboot and load a new boot script (please note the first 'fis load' below is the (existing - no longer working boot script) and the second (after the >>>) is what you enter to get it to work with the new firmware):

First, restart the router and get into redboot (instructions elsewhere...) then when you see the "DD-WRT>" prompt then away you go:

DD-WRT> fconfig
Run script at boot: true
Boot script:
.. fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7
.. exec
Enter script, terminate with empty line
>> fis load -l linux
>> exec
>>
Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 3
Use BOOTP for network configuration: false
Gateway IP address:
Local IP address:
Local IP address mask:
Default server IP address:
Console baud rate: 9600
GDB connection port: 9000
Force console for special debug messages: false
Network debug at boot time: false
Update RedBoot non-volatile configuration - continue (y/n)? y
... Erase from 0xbffe0000-0xbfff0000: .
... Program from 0x80ff0000-0x81000000 at 0xbffe0000: .
DD-WRT> reset
king_of_the_huns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:48    Post subject: Re: Good thing this thread exists... Reply with quote
Dox wrote:

Needless to say, after successfully getting dd-wrt v24 on the ar430w router, I could never get it to connect to my ATT DSL modem (Speedstream 5100 ADSL...not the B version). That probably was my downfall, I suppose.

I also have a DSL with SBC/YAHOO, it's a SpeedStream 5100 ADSL Modem (SW1.0.0.36) and requires a username/password combo... I was just about to flash my 101 until I came across your posting.

Are you saying that if I put ddwrt on my AR430W I won't be able to use it with the DSL modem? ( I may have an extra DLink if needed, but was hoping to connect my DSL to the 430 ) ?

If this has been explained before, my apologies and can you point me to the solution / issue posting, please.

Thanks.
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Choose PPPoE as the WAN mode.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:

Got it. If it's that simple, any guesses why Dox has a problem with his DLS modem?
Dox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:37    Post subject: Give it a try...maybe it will work for you. Reply with quote
king_of_the_huns wrote:
palmboy5 wrote:

Got it. If it's that simple, any guesses why Dox has a problem with his DLS modem?

That, is partly the reason it took hours (trying to get that part of it to work). When I did that (PPPoE as WAN and entered user/pass info), still didn't work. Let us know if you decide to try it, and whatever results you get (hopefully better than mine).

If you do have the exact same model DSL modem as I do, then I hope that what Palmboy5 recommended works for you. I think its just a limitation/incompatibility with the 5100 that I have (easy to chalk it up to that after spending a while trying to get it to work). If I wasn't in such a rush to get my VOIP working better over my DSL line, maybe I could have made better progress.

The 5100B version of the modem gives the user the choice of either having the modem itself retain the username/pass info or allow an external router to "assist." The 5100 (non B version) doesn't have a similar user-configurable interface, from what I understand. Wish I had one of those, but I am satisfied with the outcome, overall.

Laughing

Last edited by Dox on Wed May 28, 2008 16:53; edited 1 time in total
king_of_the_huns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 16:51    Post subject: Re: Give it a try...maybe it will work for you. Reply with quote
Dox wrote:
king_of_the_huns wrote:
palmboy5 wrote:

That, is partly the reason it took hours. When I did that, still didn't work. Let me know if you try it, and let me know if it works for you.

:lol:

I also have the non-B version...

I am kinda cautious about this and tell you the truth kept me from flashing just yet. My 430 works kinda OK for now with its own fw, but slowly dies due to p2p and I have to reset once a day... I was hoping that ddwrt handles the connection tables / timeouts better, thus my interest in flashing, but if I can't use my DSL with it, than it kinda beats the purpose... May I ask about your setup at the moment to solve this modem problem? Thx!
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
One suggestion if you hadn't tried already is, for the username, it must be the entire email address. Not just the username.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
One suggestion if you hadn't tried already is, for the username, it must be the entire email address. Not just the username.

Thanks. I've been using the original fw for connecting to the DSL no problem ( thus all settings are correct )...

Well, I think I will just give this a try today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thx.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 21 of 25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: