Actiontec MI424WR can it be supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
zuzu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
the wlan is b/g an ralink based which is not supported rigth now. so it must be replaced be a atheros card. the cable port will not work i think.

I very much like the idea of installing a Senao (EnGenius) 600mW 802.11b/g card (which uses Atheros chip) in this for use with DD-WRT.

I hope the coaxial (MoCA) port can be made sense of. FiOS sends Video on Demand (VoD) in the DVB format only on this WAN interface, not the RJ45 ethernet WAN.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
zuzu wrote:
Sash wrote:
the wlan is b/g an ralink based which is not supported rigth now. so it must be replaced be a atheros card. the cable port will not work i think.

I very much like the idea of installing a Senao (EnGenius) 600mW 802.11b/g card (which uses Atheros chip) in this for use with DD-WRT.

the card will be useing >3W, i think. and i dont think that the board will be supprort that much of power on the pci port.

Quote:

I hope the coaxial (MoCA) port can be made sense of. FiOS sends Video on Demand (VoD) in the DVB format only on this WAN interface, not the RJ45 ethernet WAN.

this is BS time*g*

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
zuzu wrote:

the card will be useing >3W, i think. and i dont think that the board will be support that much of power on the pci port.

ah, good point. figuring out the maximum output wattage of that mini-PCI socket would help.

Sash wrote:
zuzu wrote:

this is BS time*g*

???
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS = BrainSlayer Cool

he´s the man for the IXP ports

but he needs a device on his desk for porting Exclamation Exclamation

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
From seeing the pix it seems it has both serial and jtag on there......
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I gather on the two "hy57v281620etp-h" chips,

They are both 128 megabit, 133Mhz clock freq, have 4Banks x 2Mbits x16, LVTTL interface (low voltage TTL i think it means) in a 54 Pin TSOPII package.

128 megabits x2 = 16 megabytes x2 = 32 megabytes of ram.
So great, when it is ported it won't be a ram crippled piece of shit like the WRT54G v8.

Grrrr, it will have more ram than my WHR-G125, lol.

Here's a pdf datasheet on the ram chips for those interested, if pdf attachments are accepted.
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
ks8995ma chip is of course the ethernet 10/100 5 port switch.

Won't go into extreme detail on this, but needless to say it supports all the QOS and vlan shit needed for ddwrt.

And of course, datasheet attached for those interested.
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
And my last post for a while, before I get my pdf posting license pulled, is a datasheet for the moca connector. Not much info, but still a little interesting. I finally found out what frequency ranges moca used from seeing this, which I did not know before.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
..but all this info is worthless if Brainslayer wont have a device in his hands Exclamation Exclamation
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
..but all this info is worthless if Brainslayer wont have a device in his hands Exclamation Exclamation

He should receive one very soon if not already. Cool
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
very nice...he told me this already Wink
but there are a lot of people telling to do something and nothing will happen... Sad

but i hope u r the man, man! Cool

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not able to loan out the one I currently have (wife would kill me since it's needed for the FIOS TV, sorry guys!) I was working on getting my hands on a second one. I see now BS already has one on the way. I'm still going to try for a second, if BS would want it for testing I'll ship it over else I will have it available here so I can test (hopefully) DD-WRT on this model and not risk the current unit. Once I've got it I'll contact BS to see what he would like to do.

BS- since I'm sure you get flooded with both PMs and emails please fire me off a message indicating the best way to contact you. Hopefully I'll have an available unit in a week or so.

-Pow
zuzu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pow wrote:
Not able to loan out the one I currently have (wife would kill me since it's needed for the FIOS TV, sorry guys!) I was working on getting my hands on a second one. I see now BS already has one on the way. I'm still going to try for a second, if BS would want it for testing I'll ship it over else I will have it available here so I can test (hopefully) DD-WRT on this model and not risk the current unit.

A steady supply seems to show up on eBay, averaging about $30-40. I think many people get FiOS but don't like this router -- if only because of the Verizon firmware -- so they sell it. But I half expect the demand/price for this router to increase when DD-WRT becomes available for it, so you could hedge buying one now for that. You also might want a second one to experiment with DD-WRT on anyway, if your wife dislikes you tinkering with the one you have.
Pow
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
zuzu wrote:
A steady supply seems to show up on eBay, averaging about $30-40.
Yeah, that's actually where I'm watching. I'm assuming the units in the blocky black shells are the older hardware version and the more rounded, silver and black shells are the newer revision. The silver/black unit is what Verizon provided me, I believe the Ethernet WAN port is now on the opposite side of the LAN jacks from the coax connector. Any idea if one would be a better model to get over the other? Alternately, since BS already has one on the way would it be recommended to get the alternate version so there can be wider compatibility testing? Any idea which would have the Ralink and Atheros cards as indicated in the first post? I'm thinking the "board bottom" pic that Sash posted has the Ralink card shown? Since the layout of that board does not seem to match that of the silver/black models is it thought that these pictures are from a black unit and the silver/black units would have an Atheros card? Atheros is already supported by DD-WRT and therefor generally preferred? So many questions!

Guess the simple thing would be to figure out how to open the Verizon provided unit when I get home... I'll get some pics up even if I can't (or don't dare to) open it.

-Pow
zuzu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pow wrote:
Guess the simple thing would be to figure out how to open the Verizon provided unit when I get home... I'll get some pics up even if I can't (or don't dare to) open it.

If you can get the Verizon one open, I'd like to know how. I can get the ports side open; there are two screws on the corners and two clips that pop open nearer the ports on that edge if you pull with sufficient force. However, the rounded silver front where the lights are is a solid piece of plastic. I haven't pulled the back apart enough to see how to unclip whatever holds the front together to separate the two halves. The circuit board is screwed onto the bottom where the "feet" are. Disassembly would be necessary to replace the (Ralink) mini-PCI wireless card for an Atheros one. Also, it looks like one of the antennas is soldered on with my revision D (and one still u.fl) rather than two u.fl connectors. (I'm not sure why there are two anyway since there is only one RP-SMA external antenna.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 37
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: