Actiontec MI424WR can it be supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
BioFUSION
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
*BANGS HEAD ON DESK*

I am soooo f-ing frustrated.

Finally got past the tftp crap. Did the create,
did the config. Rebooted/power cycle.

Now the routers power light no longer goes orange, it
goes green, then internet light comes on as red.

I assume to get into dd-wrt I would point my browser
to the gateway like most routers? Only no matter what
port I plug into I dont get an ip address.

I went back to the manual ip address 192.168.1.100 and
put that in the browser and get a forbidden error.

I dont know what to do now, I am at the point that I
want to destroy the f-ing thing office space style.

Please help.
Sponsor
BioFUSION
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I figured it out, had to re-tftp the bin and create again.

Got it up and running. The original goal was to set this up with AutoAp, but the setup tutorial is outdated and the one thread is 94 pages long under a different area all together, they dont seam to be discussing anything relevant to configuring the actiontec...

Can someone give a simple short setup tut for autoap with this router?
andrewbadera
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
singh0198 wrote:
So, are we going to see support for REV E routers soon?

+1

I have a pair of Rev Es I just bought off eBay for a MOCA bridge; I didn't want the routing table issues of Revs A-D. Despite having put DD-WRT on two routers in the past 12 months, I didn't think to check, at the time, what DD-WRT support looked like ... I'm hoping to gain use of the USB ports to attach external drives I have sitting around, at least until my QNAP gets here.
invictus0x0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rev E, F, and Gs use an entirely different CPU, it would be a new ground up build to support these.

On a side note, I have access to extras of these models if a developer needs one to write for them I can supply one.
azuretech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 19:10    Post subject: Kernel modules Reply with quote
I don't have a build environment setup... Could someone please do me a favor and build the loop.ko and ext2.ko kernel modules for the MI-424WR 2.6.34.8-svn16012 kernel?
Noyabronok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 19:56    Post subject: windows7x64 Reply with quote
I followed the wiki and installed python 6.2, but I get an error on step 15. I have tried other versions of Python but got different errors. I am using Windows 7x64.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "jungo-image.py", line 31, in <module>
import telnetlib
File "C:\csvn\Python25\lib\telnetlib.py", line 38, in <module>
import socket
File "C:\csvn\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 45, in <module>
import _socket
ImportError: Module use of python25.dll conflicts with this version of Python.
Noyabronok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 20:06    Post subject: Re: windows7x64 Reply with quote
Noyabronok wrote:
I followed the wiki and installed python 6.2, but I get an error on step 15. I have tried other versions of Python but got different errors. I am using Windows 7x64.

import telnetlib
import socket
import _socket

Well, i just figured it out. I had to install Python 2.5 found here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/

I got this result:
---------
Unlocking flash...
Writing new image...
load -u http://192.168.1.3:8080/rb-mi424wr-ROM.bin -r 0
Flash update complete!
---------

However, I could not connect to redboot afterwards, but the old firmware was still there unharmed, so I'm still using the stock firmware.
rtoledo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 23:23    Post subject: Re: windows7x64 Reply with quote
Noyabronok wrote:
Noyabronok wrote:

import telnetlib
import socket
import _socket

Well, i just figured it out. I had to install Python 2.5 found here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/

I got this result:
---------
Unlocking flash...
Writing new image...
Flash update complete!
---------

However, I could not connect to redboot afterwards, but the old firmware was still there unharmed, so I'm still using the stock firmware.

these routers are quite temperamental. When Jose / Cherry /BS /Sash/ Tornado/ did their fantastic work to get this project rolling I was able after much effort(drinking heavily and cusing was involved) to get one REV c router flashed with DD , I was never able to get OPEN-WRT to install ????.

since then I bricked one(REV D) after loosing my famous Cuban temper and now have one sitting here like yours I can connect to Redboot , but can't seem to get past the installation of the DD images and file system. so i took a break and will get back to it one of these days.

BTW the WIKI no longer has a link for the zImage and Filesystem images , which can add to the confusion

right now I'm interested in StrongVPN.com and was so happy to see they support DD in the install pages with pictures and all Wink .
I keep finding my 12 year old son serving on Azerus to the world Sad most of it is open source stuff but some was not Sad)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:41    Post subject: Re: windows7x64 Reply with quote
Noyabronok wrote:
Noyabronok wrote:

import telnetlib
import socket
import _socket

I got this result:
---------
Unlocking flash...
Writing new image...
Flash update complete!
---------

OOPS my memory is so bad, Noya go back to page 20 of this thread and us BrainSlayer's firmware on that page , then make sure you have a TFTPD server , this is what I forgot from 3 years ago, without this the firmware will never install. the server will run on your computer and let's pretend the IP of your computer is 192.168.1.33

then when you enter the command BrainSlayer tells you to enter put in YOUR computers IP address. make sure that Windows firewall (if you are using windows) is turned off as it will not let the server work.

from page 20 to page 30 there's a lot of important info to read, follow what Sash, BS and Tornado say

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys how about wiki: mi424
works for me all the time.

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
guys how about wiki: mi424
works for me all the time.

I should do it. specially with my poor memory it's a bitch getting old Sad

the current one is missing a bunch of info and usable links to BS's firmware

thanks Sash for putting up with us. you are too Kool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 17:30    Post subject: mi424wr Rev C - replacing the radio question.... Reply with quote
Okay, hoping someone can help answer a couple questions before I throw my money away.....

I've got an mi424wr Rev C with build 17201 on it that I use in client mode to connect to a somewhat distant wifi network using a 12dbi gain YAGI antenna... and everything seems to work okay, but I lose signal every now and then still, or it drops down to 1Mbps speed (even though SNR never goes below 22dBm)

I've got it set to US Regulator domain, and iwlist ath0 txpower shows the maximum power available is 18dBm (63mW)... I'm presuming this is the maximum the radio in the unit is capable of.... as such, I'm considering replacing the stock radio with a radio with a higher capable power output.

Now my question is.... If I replace the radio with an Atheros or Broadcom radio capable of higher power output, will the mi424wr build of dd-wrt "just work" and see the new radio and its higher power capability, or is the build custom to the stock radio? Is any one radio (atheros vs broadcom) a better or worse option than the other? If I use a broadcom radio, will the dd-wrt gui change to reflect the settings for the different radio type? Recommendations for "best" high power radio to use?

While we're on the topic of changing out radios... if the answer to my first question of will it "just work" is yes..... I've got a 2nd mi424wr that I use as an AP..... I'm considering replacing the radio in this unit with an 802.11n capable radio.... are there any additional considerations I should be concerned with here?

On a side note... I notice the wiki recommends setting channel width to Turbo 40mhz, but no matter what build I install (I've used several), if I set it to 40 mhz width, and click apply, several devices will automatically increase their connection speed to 108 Mbps.... which seems to be as it should.... but the moment I reboot the router, none of my devices can see the SSID or connect anymore.... (this is all devices, computer, roku, xbox, iphone, android, none of them work so I know its not just one device being incompatible)... If I change it back to 20mhz and then reboot I can again see the SSID and connect, but only at the lower speeds again. I don't change anything from when I click "apply" for the 40mhz channel width and they all connect fine, and a reboot and them not being able to connect? Seems only 20mhz width works reliably through a reboot.... Are we dealing with a bug in the firmware here, or some quirk with this particular atheros radio in the Rev C routers?
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
buy a better antenna! at least 20dbi
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 22:30    Post subject: Upgrading radio Reply with quote
Actually, I was mistaken in my previous post.... turns out the antenna I'm using is supposedly a 20db gain antenna... So the original question still remains... Can I plug a higher power radio into this unit, and what about an 802.11n radio?

On another note.... I notice that the wiki says for most users to set channel width 40 mhz Turbo mode, but I see some odd behavior if I do this... specifically as follows:

Set to 40 Mhz channel width, click "Apply" then go to the "status" page, and then go to the wireless status tab, and several devices indicate they are communicating at 108mbps... which would seem to be good... but then go to Admin and reboot the router (or powercycle), and when the router comes back up, nothing can connect wirelessly... I have to plug in an ethernet cable, change it back to 20mhz channel width, apply, and reboot again before it will let anything connect.... This behavior is across several builds (I'm currently running 17201 in my Rev C mi424wr), and several devices... after the reboot, nothing, (iphone, xbox, roku, android, toshiba notebook, etc) can connect, so its not a single device incompatibility issue....
azuretech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 21:28    Post subject: couple questions...... Reply with quote
Any chance pixelserv.could be considered for integration into dd-wrt? It would seem to be a far more useful feature than anchofree which doesn't seem to actually work.

Also, can anyone give a simple step by step on how to setup a cross compile environment for the mi424wr?

I figure with the right cross compile setup, I can create a pixelserv binary on my nas and run it on the router from there, since we don't have jffs space.... .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 36 of 37
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: