OpenDNS and the new DNS-O-Matic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like the error had something to do with https. I changed the URL to..

https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?&wildcard=ON&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG&hostname=

And it instantly started working.

Weird.
Sponsor
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crap.

24 hours later using the above URL it updated all the IP addresses to the one IP where I manage all the networks from.

Help?

Should I put the actual hostname after 'hostname=' on the end of the URL?
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
And now I get a 'badauth' error.

??
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
It almost seems like it works sometimes, then it doesn't, works, then it doesn't.

My settings right now are.

Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
username: OpenDNS user name, all lowercase
password: OpenDNS password, one number(problem???)
Hostname: Test ; just a quick network I setup to get this working
URL: https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?&wildcard=ON&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG&hostname=Test

Yesterday with the exact same settings and without putting each individual hostname after 'hostname=' it instantly started working.

DDWRT has been complaining about problems like this before so I'm wondering if its possible that I AM doing everything right, but OpenDNS has some of their settings screwed up.
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, changed the URL to..
https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?hostname=

and not having anything after hostname= seems to have solved something.

Then again, I also removed any numbers from my password so I don't know if one or the other helped.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since you already have an 'OpenDNS' account, you already have access to dns-o-matic. You might try that service. It is what I use and I have settings that work for it. They are as follows:

Settins for dns-o-matic (located here: http://www.dnsomatic.com/)
DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
User Name: [your username]
Password: [your password]
Host Name: all.dnsomatic.com
URL: /nic/update?&wildcard=ON

This works without fail for me. If you do not want *.hostname.dydns.com (or whatever your hostname is) to resolve, you can change the URL setting and turn the wildcard option off.

I hope this helps.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is I have multiple dynamic OpenDNS accounts that I need to update, and using your settings updates them all to the same IP address.

that is why I use the /nic/update?hostname= command. As it is only supposed to update the specific hostname I specify.

It seems to be working for now.

I have a question about running my own ddclient to update multiple IPs, as in if it is actually possibly, but maybe I should start a new thread?
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I honestly don't think it can be done.

I keep getting all kinds of different errors.

Badauth, !yours, etc, etc.

The only solution I see is if there is a way to use DynDNS instead, and have it setup to send updates to OpenDNS.

Or, create separate OpenDNS accounts for every single network.
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I've officially given up on using the 'custom' option on DDWRT to try and update it.

Looking at running scripts on an Ubuntu server which takes the update from somewhere like DynDNS and sends it to the server, which in turn sends it to DNSOMATIC who passes it on to OpenDNS.
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frustration city.

I've tried Inadyn, DDClient, and numerous router configurations, and none of them have a way to update multiple dynamic IPs through DNSOMATIC and OpenDNS with ONE single account.

Amazing that someone like OpenDNS, despite the numerous requests will just continue to screw over those of us who have more than one IP to look after.
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
really strange.

for the sake of testing it I went and added only ONE network to DNSOMATIC and made sure every other router was going to DynDNS instead.

Result?

server: updates.dnsomatic.com
username: opendns username
password: opendns password
hostname: all.dnsomatic.com
url: https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?

DNSOMATIC comes back in 20 seconds with a 'badauth' error.

Now I'm really confused as it seems like my problem has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm trying to update multiple hosts to multiple addresses.
wcarlson40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Azure, I just wanted to give you some encouragement that it does actually work as posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=273200#273200

I have multiple locations with DDWRT routers updating OpenDNS using DNS-O-Matic. You will have to set up (at least) 2 entries in DNS-O-Matic for each location (a OpenDNS entry and a DynDns entry (or whatever dynamic dns update service you are using)). You also will not be able to add an OpenDNS entry until you FIRST add that location on the OpenDNS website. Confusing, I know, but it does indeed work...
Azure
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was actually a problem on the OpenDNS/DNSOMATIC side.

The OpenDNS engineers fixed it a while ago for me. I would constantly get 'badauth' errors on the DNSOMATIC page.

I've got 6 routers updating right now and they seem to be working just fine.
bonzon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Azure wrote:
My settings are exactly the same...but for some reason it refuses to update.
Just says 'connecting to server.'

Same problem here, with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std. Here's how I solved it. My OpenDNS password had multiple special characters. I changed it to a simpler alphanumeric password, and now DD-WRT will update my DNS-O-Matic account.

Don't know if it's the reason, or what character exactly is causing issues, but I'd thought could be something to try if your password has indeed special characters, that the update client might not properly encode or escape.
ke4ktz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
bonzon wrote:
Azure wrote:
My settings are exactly the same...but for some reason it refuses to update.
Just says 'connecting to server.'

Same problem here, with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std. Here's how I solved it. My OpenDNS password had multiple special characters. I changed it to a simpler alphanumeric password, and now DD-WRT will update my DNS-O-Matic account.

Don't know if it's the reason, or what character exactly is causing issues, but I'd thought could be something to try if your password has indeed special characters, that the update client might not properly encode or escape.

My password had special characters and numbers and it would not work. Once I changed it to alphabetic only, the update worked. Considering that the underlying architecture for DD-WRT is Linux, special characters have a different meaning under Linux. I suspect that DD-WRT is not escaping those characters which is causing the command to fail.

...Glenn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: