V23 SP2 std & PPPOE (Bellsouth DSL) - HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:07    Post subject: V23 SP2 std & PPPOE (Bellsouth DSL) - HELP! Reply with quote
I had to do a hard reset on both my Linksys WRT54G v2 and my bellsouth provided westell 327W dsl modem tonight.

It's been about 2 years since I originally set up my router with DD-WRT and bellsouth dsl and I can't remember what I did to make it work properly.

Anywho, I tried setting the westell unit to 'bridge' mode and turned off DHCP.
Then, I logged into the dd-wrt and set the connection type to pppoe.
I gave it my username@bellsouth.net and password, saved and rebooted.
Told it to keepalive.
Then I went over to 'status' and told it to connect via pppoe.
It reloaded the page and wouldn't connect.

Originally, I don't remember going through the above steps, but they seemed logical now. Before I believe I had the westell logging in to the pppoe...

Can someone please tell me the proper way to connect a dd-wrt router to a westell dsl modem? The one they sent me is a modem/wireless router/switch. I only want to use it for the modem portio.

!!please help!!
Sponsor
KeithB
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go to the BellSouth (AT&T SouthEast) FAQ at dslreports.com and review their forum, too.

Here's the page for your Westell 327.

This LinkSys page is what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed those directions for the most part last night. (On connecting a linksys to a westell modem/router).

It would seem the problem is with dd-wrt v23 sp2 not connecting through the PPPOE...

I've downloaded v24 vint and will try flashing that to see if that fixes the pppoe problems. I think I saw another thread where someone had issues getting the pppoe to connect but I didn't see a resolution.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You haven't really provided a lot of information about what you have done and what is occurring. So it is difficult to give you anything other than general advice. You might find something useful in the Peacock Sticky at the top of the first page. Might want to consider a hard reset and re-configure.
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for not being clear. Last night I lost access to both my linksys wrt54g version 2 router and my westell 327w DSL Modem with built-in wireless router and switch.

My first step was to do a hard reset on both boxes. I unplugged the ddwrt box from the westell and logged into it directly from my pc (bypassing the ddwrt) and set up the modem's PPPoe connection info so I could atleast get to the internet. I looked around and found that I needed to put the westell into bridged ethernet mode. So, while still logged into the westell I set it to bridged mode and disabled dhcp.

Next, I plugged in to the dd-wrt box from my computer. I set it to a PPPoe connection on the Setup/Basic Setup tabs. I then put in my PPPoe login information.

After that, I plugged the Westell into the WAN port on the back of my wrt54g. On DD-WRT I popped over to the status page and scrolled down to the bottom where it tells you the status of the internet connection. I clicked the 'connect' button next to the PPPoe connection and nothing happened.

It wouldn't connect to the PPPoe and I didn't see any errors through the web GUI.

That is what I have done, and that seems to be the steps I found in the links above (only with stock linksys firmware).

Right now as it stands, the dd-wrt box is unplugged and I can connect a cat5 to my machine and log into it. The westell is acting strictly as a dsl modem with dhcp disabled, and bridging disabled so that I can connect my laptop to the internet to find tuts, how-tos, and this forum...

Is this clear enough? Not being short or anything, just want to make sure I'm being clear and complete. So these are the steps I went through and this is what is happening.
husky55
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a tough situation because you seem to do every right, yet it does not work.

Your westell 327w DSL Modem with built-in wireless router and switch has everything you need for your network, then why do you add the Linksys dd-wrt to it? For additional WPA2 and AES may be? I don't know.

If I understand you correctly, you want to use your westell stricly as a modem and want to use the Linksys to sign in your bellsouth account via PPPOE and do the routing and wireless function for you.

You did all the right thing for the westell and Linksys. But I bet you could not ping either the linksys or the westell. And you got no IP address.

The reason for that is very simple, you need to clear out the lease from the old westell and linksys setup. To do that, reboot you computer and reboot you westell and linksys.

ping 192.168.1.1 to see if you get a response assuming that you set everything correctly as you previously posted.

Frankly, I would just get a new DSL modem and connect to the router but there is something about those all in one gadgets.

Last edited by husky55 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:54; edited 1 time in total
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the features of dd-wrt. Specifically QoS and advanced routing and DHCP functionality. This is why I choose to use it for my home network instead of the supplied westell. I might look at getting a new dsl modem that is strictly a modem.

I'm not currently at them, but once I get back to them (this afternoon) I'll powercycle both boxes and the computer and see what happens.

Thanks.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could set your Westell to pass all traffic, and then put your Linksys/DD-WRT in DHCP mode and add it to the DMZ of your Westell...

But if I were you, I would seriously consider swapping the Westell modem/router combo to a standalone modem. This is my preferred method for my home, and any business I do consulting for. I never use an ISP's supplied router. Only standalone modems and my own routers.

After you get it, I believe you will still have to set the standalone modem to "bridge only." I seem to remember having to do that. Out of the bazillion connections I have set up, I have only set up 2 Westell modems in the past, so I don't remember exactly. Most of the modems I've dealt with are my ISP's Zyxel and AT&T's Speedstream.
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
arvetus wrote:
You could set your Westell to pass all traffic, and then put your Linksys/DD-WRT in DHCP mode and add it to the DMZ of your Westell...

But if I were you, I would seriously consider swapping the Westell modem/router combo to a standalone modem. This is my preferred method for my home, and any business I do consulting for. I never use an ISP's supplied router. Only standalone modems and my own routers.

After you get it, I believe you will still have to set the standalone modem to "bridge only." I seem to remember having to do that. Out of the bazillion connections I have set up, I have only set up 2 Westell modems in the past, so I don't remember exactly. Most of the modems I've dealt with are my ISP's Zyxel and AT&T's Speedstream.

any recommendations for a standalone dsl modem to use with bellsouth? (also looking on dsl reports)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
FreakyPenguin wrote:

any recommendations for a standalone dsl modem to use with bellsouth? (also looking on dsl reports)

You could go to best buy and purchase a "kit" that included a modem.

The best buy's in my area sell the AT&T self install kit (formerly SBC). It's about 80 bucks.

The last I knew, they had Speed Stream modems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the Westell 6000 (the black modem) in bridge mode. Try rebooting the modem first and then reboot the router.
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys, will try power cycling before i buy anything. Also found a motorola/netopia 2210 dsl modem only @ bestbuy for ~70 bucks for use with Ma'Bell. Will pick it up if the power cycle doesn't work..

Appreciate the help.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
FreakyPenguin wrote:
Thanks guys, will try power cycling before i buy anything. Also found a motorola/netopia 2210 dsl modem only @ bestbuy for ~70 bucks for use with Ma'Bell. Will pick it up if the power cycle doesn't work..

Appreciate the help.

I pretty much has to work if you configure the modem correctly.

My speed stream modem is a router, just with one port. It assigns a dhcp address to the rig it connects to as well as takes care of the PPPoE login unless you have it configured as a bridge.

Once it is a bridge, I can no longer access the setup unless I reset it to defaults (it warns you about this).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

My speed stream modem is a router, just with one port. It assigns a dhcp address to the rig it connects to as well as takes care of the PPPoE login unless you have it configured as a bridge.

Once it is a bridge, I can no longer access the setup unless I reset it to defaults (it warns you about this).

Yes, you can set the westell up like this, and this is also how I have set up all the speedstream modems I have installed.
FreakyPenguin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:

Alright, I logged into the westell and double checked that it was set to bridge mode. Then I logged into the dd-wrt and made sure it had the propper pppoe settings.

Then I tried powering off the westell and the wrt54g. After a few moments (10 or so seconds) I powered the westell on and waited for it to give the 'all clear' (DNS sync and power lights steady). Then, i powered the wrt54g on and waited for it to give me steady lights.

Once the reboots had finished, I logged into dd-wrt and clicked 'connect' on the internet connection portion of the status page. After waiting for a few moments I refreshed the page and noticed that it didn't connect. So i did a 30/30/30 reset on the wrt54g and set up the pppoe connection again. This time I got the same results as before.

So, I did one more 30/30/30 and then upgraded the dd-wrt to v24 (5/20/0Cool std. After the upgrade I did one more 30/30/30.

I logged back into the westell to double check settings again, then powered the box off.

I logged into the newly flashed dd-wrt and set up the pppoe connection. Now, before I went to press the 'connect button, I took a look at this on the wiki. Well then I noticed that 'pppoe' is 'not found' on v24... so that didn't do me much good.

Next, i clicked connect in the WAN page of the status tab in v24. Too my surprise it connected!! .... To the wrong thing...
Code:
According to dd-wrt this is what I got:
IP Address: 216.77.208.38
subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
gateway: 216.77.208.1
dns1: 139.76.169.99

Well, i immediately noticed that was the WRONG wan ip address. I have a static IP on my service and that was not it.

The proper info from the wan stats on the westell (when services as a modem/router and pppoe connector) is as follows:
Code:
IP: 74.166.**.***
gateway: 65.14.258.43
dns1: 205.152.37.23 (dns.asm.bellsouth.net)
dns2: 205.152.150.23 (dns.bna.bellsouth.net)

So, I told the dd-wrt to disconnect. After it did, i powered off the wrt54g. Then i powered off the westell. After they had been off for a minute or so, I rebooted the westell and waited for the lights to stop blinking. Then I rebooted the wrt54g. Once it cleared, I logged in and reinitialized the pppoe connection via the status/wan tab. It still gave me the wrong ip/subnet/gateway/dns.

So, i disconnected it. Reset the westell to pppoe instead of bridge and plugged my laptop in so I could post for more help...

What should I do next??.... Please advise.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: