HowTo: unbrick a WL500g Deluxe and a WL500g Premium

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
sha1dy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
@avalanche
@pisicutz

I got the same problem with wl500gp - I bricked my router by uploading mega dd-wrt firmware which failed to install obviously and filled up all flash memory.
Now I cant upload anything more than 1632 packets.

I want to ground pin 16 but I don't know where to look! I haven't found any pictures or whatsoever of this mystery pin 16 is for wl500gp.

Would be so kind and point me where to find this pin?

Thanks!
Sponsor
menthorul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 15:25    Post subject: briked wl-500 gp v2 ..solved !!! Reply with quote
pin 16 theory really works..
thank you !
DeeDee_KL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
is here anything like a post limit or what?

anyway Smile hi all a:)

i bricked my 500P v1, but on a really strange way

i just done a reboot thru the web interface, thats was it (using the OpenWRT) - after 3 months of no problem work.

what is it doing now:

no LAN/WAN cable and power on = power LED flashes like "Ready for firmware load" and AIR is dimmed.
if i put to this state the LAN cable the active LAN LED goes solid and also the power LED. But the AIR and all other leds are dimmed.

Pin9 doesnt work - so perhaps now the RS232C ?
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
LED's are dimmed? If you have a voltmeter check your power supply. Make sure it is putting out what it should.

Never pin short unless it is the last resort, and you follow these directions:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54808&highlight=wl500w

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
DeeDee_KL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi i was thinking about this also - i will test it on a regular PC PSU (i have one converted into a testlab PSU) ...

this was the second time i bricked the router (last time Pin9 worked) ...

but - as i live in a village and the power grid is a little bit more funny - this could be it (i was reading about dimmed lights and power adaptors)
raindrop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I have just restored my Asus WL-500gP R.1.14 with the method of Pin.
I can past the steps with both flashing clear.trx and recover.trx.
When micro.trx has been flashed to Asus it stop to work. "Power" LED is off, all others is light.
Any advise or solution to solve it?
raindrop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
avalanche wrote:
After getting no help here or at other forums, I'll post my solution as I managed to get my router back... And still I got no serial console. But I'll definetly have to get myself a working one.

I've seen lots of places mentioning not to short any pins, but I think it work in many cases and actually it's quite easy with a wire and a needle. Shortening pins is also a part of my solution to get my Wl500gP back in business.

To resume:

nvram-clean.sh - did not help
wl500g-clear-nvram.trx - did not help
wl500g-recover.trx - did not help

Flashing from recovery mode always timed out, and never made the router work.
Flashing from recovery mode after shorting pin 16/17 with gnd always was a success with every firmware, but only until reboot. Tried to clean nvram with "mtd erase nvram" or "nvram-clean.sh" before rebooting without success. Ended up doing like this

Solution:

1 ) power off
2 ) short pin 16 with GND and power on until power-LED started flashing
3 ) removed the shorting of pin 16
4 ) flashed with dd-wrt
5 ) after router alive, telnet 192.168.1.1 and logged in
6 ) ran "mtd erase nvram"
7 ) ran "mtd erase linux"
8 ) reboot
9 ) router started up in recovery mode
10 ) flashed with olegs firmware (or other firmware), and uploading speed wasn't slow anymore - after reboot the router was alive and kicking, also after poweroff.

Dunno if the above mentioned method will help someone out there, but maybe someday.

Hi,
How did you execute command ?
6)ran "mtd erase nvram"

I can log in on router (Asus WL-500gP), but when I try to execute these command I get answer "mtd not found".
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
raindrop wrote:
Hi,
6)ran "mtd erase nvram"

I can log in on router (Asus WL-500gP), but when I try to execute these command I get answer "mtd not found".

These are exceptionally dangerous commands and pin shorting is also usually very foolish. If you can log in to your router, you don't need them. Just do a proper hard reset on the router, and flash proper firmware.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
raindrop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
raindrop wrote:
Hi,
6)ran "mtd erase nvram"

These are exceptionally dangerous commands and pin shorting is also usually very foolish. If you can log in to your router, you don't need them. Just do a proper hard reset on the router, and flash proper firmware.

I could restore my router with pin shorting. I could flashe both erase.trx and recover.trx. But when I are flashing any firmware on my router it is being restarted three time and has ceased to work at last Sad. "Power" LED is off, all others is light.

So, I try to be finding some solution of the problem.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Create a new thread describing your problem. Read the announcements at the top of this forum and take particular note of "hardware problems" in the peacock announcement.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
tzoom84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
SO as a last resort, I did the pin-9 trick on my WL-500W. Worked like a charm.

But can someone enlighten me on WHY this works? A few asked earlier, a few made comments (i.e. ruddles) on the pinouts. Pin 9 just seems to be a data pin. Why would grounding that erase the flash?

Can someone please help ease my curious engineer mind?
(1) Why does grounding a data pin erase flash?
(2) How is it functionally different, i.e, more dangerous, than grounding GPIO7 as Oleg suggested?

Thank you.
skom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's possible to restore WL-500gP V2 after plaing with NVRAM?
If yes how can I do?
nemo84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 23:47    Post subject: Re: Asus WL500G Premium V2 Reply with quote
enli wrote:
I recently bought this wonderful router. Unfortunately after following the procedure "Use the full 32MB ram on the WL500gP use the following commands via telnet".
WL500GP V2 has Broadcom chip BCM5354KFBG.

Of course I must have missed something or made some mistake. The router seemed to be dead after it. I left it there, then unplugged the power and plugged it again. Now all LAN and WAN leds are on, all the others are off.

I was wondering whether the unbrick procedure described in this post may be working or not... or if there are any other methods that I can try. I am posting an image of the router.

Ive got the same layout as "enli", does anyone fix a bricked router with this kind of layout? Or any suggestions ?

Thx Nemo
keenox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot! It worked like a charm. You saved my ass from going to service. Very Happy
maurer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
my wl-500gp v1 had blinking power even after power cycle from a failed flashing.
pin 9 trick solved the problem.
now it's running oleg d-1222
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: