HowTo: unbrick a WL500g Deluxe and a WL500g Premium

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
pisicutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
My wl500gP sends ACK only for the first 1632 packets of the tftp upload...
Both before and after the pin 9 thing...
Why should this happen?
Is it the flash? It's broken? Shoul I try to replace the chip?
Or something else? Ideas?
Sponsor
otellomoro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a similar issue with a wrt54gsV4 and the solution was similar:

- short pin16 with groung. Router pingable.
- tftp dd-wrt-wrt54gsV4-standard directly, no linsys nor mini versions. dd-wrt now is on but if I save/reboot now all is lost.
- "mtd erase nvram"; reboot. The router reboots and now all is OK, dd-wrt is on and the configuration is hold after following save/reboots.

Did'nt erase linux
pisicutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I try to upload ANY firmware (either by tftp or asus tool) the transfer stops after 1632*512 bytes... I tryed it several times without any luck... Is my asus gone? Should I go and buy anothjer?
Is there a smaller image? Smth below 800k I guess should transfer ok...
avalanche
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@pisicutz
replied to your other post also. Have a look at page 2 in this thread and look how I did it. Exact same problem as you. Transfer times out before finishing.

1 x ASUS WL500g Deluxe (DD-WRT)
2 x ASUS WL500g Premium (DD-WRT)
1 x Linksys WRT 350N v2 (OpenWRT Backfire 10.03)
pisicutz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanx guys! It works Very Happy
liquid22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
avalanche wrote:
After getting no help here or at other forums, I'll post my solution as I managed to get my router back... And still I got no serial console. But I'll definetly have to get myself a working one.

I've seen lots of places mentioning not to short any pins, but I think it work in many cases and actually it's quite easy with a wire and a needle. Shortening pins is also a part of my solution to get my Wl500gP back in business.

To resume:

nvram-clean.sh - did not help
wl500g-clear-nvram.trx - did not help
wl500g-recover.trx - did not help

Flashing from recovery mode always timed out, and never made the router work.
Flashing from recovery mode after shorting pin 16/17 with gnd always was a success with every firmware, but only until reboot. Tried to clean nvram with "mtd erase nvram" or "nvram-clean.sh" before rebooting without success. Ended up doing like this

Solution:

1 ) power off
2 ) short pin 16 with GND and power on until power-LED started flashing
3 ) removed the shorting of pin 16
4 ) flashed with dd-wrt
5 ) after router alive, telnet 192.168.1.1 and logged in
6 ) ran "mtd erase nvram"
7 ) ran "mtd erase linux"
8 ) reboot
9 ) router started up in recovery mode
10 ) flashed with olegs firmware (or other firmware), and uploading speed wasn't slow anymore - after reboot the router was alive and kicking, also after poweroff.

Dunno if the above mentioned method will help someone out there, but maybe someday.

I had the same issue and I did exactly as here up to "mtd erase linux" and now all that happens when I boot the router is that the power light flashes every second or so, what do I do now. I can't detect the device by the IP address I programed originally or the ASUS default. I'm stuck as reset using pins no longer works.
a9988cd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote=I had the same issue and I did exactly as here up to "mtd erase linux" and now all that happens when I boot the router is that the power light flashes every second or so, what do I do now. I can't detect the device by the IP address I programed originally or the ASUS default. I'm stuck as reset using pins no longer works.[/quote]

Where is the final ip address of Router ?

Try setting PC with a section .
liquid22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm guessing the IP is stored on the flash ROM.

Try setting the PC to what, I already stated I don't know what the IP is.
szucsati2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a wl500g Premium. I tried to install OpenWRT but it failed (the browser hanged for half an hour). After that I tried to use the recovery util, didn't work. I tired everything I without any good results. Than I used the pin 9 method and it worked!
I could flash OpenWRT (don't even ask me why not the official fw!). It started, I could reach it via ssh and http. BUT!! I couldn't log in via ssh (bad password) and the http gave 404.

I tried to put it in recovery mode and now the power led light up for a half millisecond and stops. I can't ping it, can't use the recovery util etc. And the pin 9 method doesn't work Sad.

I can only use it as a switch (or a hub?). What next..? Any ideas? SadSadSad
palym
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
After played a bit with clkfreq nvram variable my asus wl500 gP didn't boot up anymore. I tried tftp flashing while the router was in boot wait mode. after waiting 5 minutes I rebooted and according to the status LEDs booting process went ok but i wasn't able to ping the router nether at the old ip (192.168.2.100) nor at the default one. I decided to use the pin 9 short-circuit method then, flashed new firmware but result was the same as before. LEDs looked like everything went ok, but no access was possible.

By accident I realized that I was able to connect via wlan Shocked (all other attempts were made using wired connection). I tried to figure out wats wrong and found some error messages concerning vlans in dmesg. I tried avalanche's method to clear nvram then
Quote:

6 ) ran "mtd erase nvram"
7 ) ran "mtd erase linux"
8 ) reboot
9 ) router started up in recovery mode

and flashed via tftp from recovery mode. after waiting 5 minutes and rebooting I was able to access the unit via wired connection Smile

I cannot say with hindsight whether I would have been able to access the router via wlan without doing the pin 9 method or not...

Maybe this helps someone who encounters similar problems .
killersoft
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:01    Post subject: I fixed my brick wl-500gp Reply with quote
I somehow screwed my wl-500gp, with a routing misconfig. after then I could not reset it, nor ping it. It took me 3 goes at the pin 9 short fix, but finally I got it going, had dd-wrt v23 on it.
Yay
strongarm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
WL500W also can unbrick with this solution. But I use another GND in the board. Doesn't anyone feel the power plug is too far to connect? I just use the UART gnd node to short the flash IC. Anyone want to short the pin9 may note that there are eight empty holes beside the chip. A table is also printed beside it to indicate the functions One of them is named as "GND".Just use it. And it "WORK"!!!
zlogic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
My WL-500gP bricked because of some weird PPTP misconfiguration, it didn't even boot in Recovery mode. This method (shorting the 9-pin) revived it, was relatively easy. Thanks to everyone who discovered this method and made this how-to!
stratomailings
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

i also bricked my wl-500 gP yesterday. I tried some nvram values and somehow my asus
came in a reboot loop with the v24 vpn dd-wrt.Then i tftpd the v23 firmware - everything
was ok. I rebootet it and wanted to update to the v24 version again via webinterface but
got an error after some seconds. So i went into the recovery mode and tftp'ed the nvram-clear.txr.
This was the last lifesign of my wl-500. Now the powerled isn't lightning and the wlan lignt is
dimming. Here the same problem: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=11724 .
The 9pin trick dont work for me. I tried it four, five times.

Can i revive it with the serial console? And how?
I have a cable like these one:
http://www.stkaiser.de/anleitung/data/01d_usb_unboxed.html

Please please help! The Asus is 2 days old :-(

Greetings Gregor
raisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 19:21    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote
hi stratomailings,
i have exact the same problem; my asus was also just 2 or 3 days old and now its a brick...
no power-led, no wlan-led;
just the lan-leds are blinking when switching on.
also the lan-leds are on, when using a port.

put no chance to ping.
pin-9 / 10 /12 etc. trick doesn't work for me.

raimund
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: