Repeater Bridge experiences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MadWire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:26    Post subject: Repeater Bridge experiences Reply with quote
I did setup a Repeater Bridge test configuration with a Linksys WRT54GL and a Netgear WG602 v4.

Both devices are flashed with DD-WRT (build 24160, mini on the WRT54GL, micro on the WG602)

As for the setup, I followed the wiki tutorial 'http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge'.

The WRT54GL is setup as a gateway to the 'outside' world with an internal IP 172.31.10.254/16 and provides DHCP an DNS services for the internal network.
The primary SSID is set to 'Primary', Wireless security is set to WPA2-AES with '0123456789' as shared key.

The WG602 acts as a Repeater Bridge with the primary SSID set to 'Primary' and the secondary SSID set to 'Secondary'.
Wireless security is set for both interfaces to WPA2-AES with '0123456789' as shared key.
The MAC-Address of wl0 is 00:1B:2F:00:E5:EF, while the virtual interface wl0.1 possesses 00:1B:2F:00:E5:EC

While in general the setup works as designed, I found a few minor? issues.

Some output from 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan':

Code:
wlan0     Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: 00:1E:E5:00:C0:C3
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"Primary"
                    Mode:Master
                    Extra: Last beacon: 4ms ago
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : CCMP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

Cell 02 - Address: 00:1B:2F:00:E5:EF
                    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                    Encryption key:on
                    ESSID:"Secondary"
                    Mode:Master
                    Extra: Last beacon: 8ms ago
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : CCMP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP

Issue 1)
The secondary SSID 'Secondary' of interface wl0.1 [00:1B:2F:00:E5:EC] is propagated with the MAC-Address of interface wl0 [00:1B:2F:00:E5:EF]
Nevertheless the status page of the Repeater Bridge shows any client connected through the secondary SSID as connected to wl0.1 while a 'sudo iwconfig' on the client shows the client connected to the BSSID of wl0.
Somehow irritating. Confused

Issue 2)
While the wireless security of the Repeater Bridge is set to WPA2 Personal with AES (and _NOT_ WPA Personal mixed) , the scan shows that WPA is still offered. Confused

Issue 3)
Using Wireshark to log some traffic on the WLAN connection between the gateway and the Repeater Bridge, I can see ARP and DHCP packages from clients, which are connected to the Repeater Bridge, with the source MAC-Address of the wl0 interface. Shocked
This, to me, is most irritating as it should cause major problems with the IP Address resolution and assignment. (of which I experienced some when I was using a FritzBox 7170 as a Gateway)

Any hints?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: