Suggestion: latest btrfs-progs in DD-WRT

magick777
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:31    Post subject: Suggestion: latest btrfs-progs in DD-WRT Reply with quote
I'm looking (with no urgency) to set my R7000 up as a home NAS server and I would like it to be as extensible and as future-proof as is feasible. Hence I'd like to understand the present state of the art, and to put forward a number of thoughts for discussion.

Judicious use of btrfs (which is basically present in DD-WRT) might well make a lot of other feature requests redudant (e.g. for RAID or LVM). But, we don't have a full, recent btrfs-progs. This would be very useful as it would enable starting small with a single btrfs on a single USB disk, then converting it to RAID1 on provision of a second disk.

Doesn't completely render unionfs or LVM irrelevant, but it looks like it provides a scalable route to a NAS with multiple drives, and a degree of redundancy. Adding current brtfs-progs permits adding drives and changing RAID levels to suit, so I could go from single disk to twin disk RAID1 to four disk RAID6. This could be fun to play with; is it worth having btrfs-progs available?

Same disclaimer as before: discussion, not demand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: