ASUS N13U B1 - LAN/WAN MAC ID changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
alfadosa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 19:40    Post subject: ASUS N13U B1 - LAN/WAN MAC ID changes Reply with quote
Hello guys,

I have been trying to use 1 router and 2 APs on a network. Both the APs are N13U B1s on DDWRT. Both the APs won't co-exist on the same network because of LAN/WAN Mac ID clashes. However their WLAN Mac ids are different.

I have tried the mac clone options

1) The display doesn't change.
2) On checking the actual mac id of the device, neither does the mac id in the mac clone area is shown.

Does any one know how to ensure that two or more DDWRT N13Us can peacefully co-exist on a network? Any help with changing their MAC ids for good?

Thanks
Sponsor
alfadosa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad,

Thanks for the links. I was able to make a part of it work before I hit a new problem.

Using:

nvram set wan_hwaddr=00:0C:43:45:47:15
nvram set lan_hwaddr=00:0C:43:45:47:16

nvram set et0macaddr=00:0C:43:45:47:16
nvram set et0macaddr_safe=00:0C:43:45:47:16

nvram commit
gpio disable 14

I was able to change the mac ids displayed on the router admin panel. However, they still seem to be reporting the stock mac id to other devices.

##

In my current config I am using an ASUS RTN66U (stock) as the modem/router and the 2 DDWRT N13U B1s as Access Points.

I am attaching three images. One each from each of the machines to show up how the 2 DDWRTs are still reporting the same stock MAC id to the modem/router.

I'd really appreciate any a-ha moments here Very Happy
alfadosa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a command that did end up changing the actual mac id - but it also makes the router unusable as the admin panel won't show up.

the command i tried was

ifconfig br0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

I also tried

ifconfig br0 down
ifconfig br0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ifconfig br0 up

But no such luck. While the mac id changes, the router bricks and has to be hard reset
alfadosa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
I tried that as well, same result, had to hard reset.

I don’t have much confidence this one is going to be solvable. Sad

I think we've found a solution

In the startup script, use the following:

i=`nvram get wl0_hwaddr`
ifconfig br0 hw ether $i
nvram set lan_hwaddr=$i
nvram set et0macaddr=$i
nvram set wan_hwaddr=$i
nvram commit

This allocates your wlan mac id to all the other interfaces as well and also gets your box back up. Let me know if it works for you too
tylersprice84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
im running a LAMP server behind a router that is dd-wrt pre sp2 beta 21061, configure client bridge (routed), everything works fine except when i try to ssh from internet to my lamp server, i can view web server send/receive email https web server everything except ssh. ive done tcpdump and connected and everythign looks fine, its when i arp-scan that i get a DUP msg where dd-wrt is somehow throwing an extra <IP> <MAC>, and that is what is messing up my ssh, thats only possible thing it could be, ive had such a horrible time with this so far, I am up to the last nposts part and have tweaked it

i='nvram get wl0_hwaddr'
ifconfig bro hw ether $i
nvram set lan_hwaddr='00:00:00:00:00:01'
nvram set et0macaddr='00:00:00:00:00:02'
nvram set wan_hwaddr='00:00:00:00:00:03'

now this sets wlan to your br0 (bridged interface?)
and than you can randomize the next 3 MAC's
I can connect to dd-wrt router, the host router, all comps on network and when i ping them there are no DUP pings like before if i were to ping <DD-WRT> iot would DUP ping, but now when i ping google.com i get a DUP, and im figuring changing them all to diff MACs is what creates the not able to connect with DD-WRT , hard reset scenario. I will keep experimenting and post back, very tricky indeed!
tylersprice84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram only changes whats displayed to user on web gui, (maybe telnet as well?) doesnt change whats being actually reported on network to hardware which makes sense if this is linux based, idk if its possible to do a client bridge (routed) without having it set up this way (having a DUP in arp-scan, DUP ping when you ping <IP of DD-WRT client bridge router>), can anyone confirm this?
tylersprice84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
i put my LAMP server in the DMZ in DDWRT config (not host router) and can now ssh in, very strange but solved if anyone else is having this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: