How To: Track each IP's (incl on WAN) data usage

maximus117
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41    Post subject: How To: Track each IP's (incl on WAN) data usage Reply with quote
Hi Guys, I need some help. After doing some research I have finally bought my first DD-WRT router (Tp-Link TL-WDR4320). The main purpose i bought is to track data usage for each and every IP - Both on LAN and WAN. i have limit of 500GB per month and i live in a flatting situation where data is consumed in about 20 days or so. I want to find out who are the culprits.

Apparently there is a plugin that I can upload using telnet that can do the job. Where and how do i find and upload? or is there any other easy way to tracking data per IP?

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsor
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have looked at dd-wrt for years and wanted to switch to it but always put it off. One of the main reasons I've wanted to switch to it is just what you asked and assumed it did it by default. I was ready to swap out my current router (WNDR3700) this weekend with a new one. I have been trying to decide on what I wanted to buy to run dd-wrt and ran across this post. I would like to be able to see how much data my kids were eating up and what's slowing down my network from time to time.
pfuller88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:28    Post subject: Re: How To: Track each IP's (incl on WAN) data usage Reply with quote
maximus117 wrote:
Hi Guys, I need some help. After doing some research I have finally bought my first DD-WRT router (Tp-Link TL-WDR4320). The main purpose i bought is to track data usage for each and every IP - Both on LAN and WAN. i have limit of 500GB per month and i live in a flatting situation where data is consumed in about 20 days or so. I want to find out who are the culprits.

Apparently there is a plugin that I can upload using telnet that can do the job. Where and how do i find and upload? or is there any other easy way to tracking data per IP?

Thanks in advance guys.

See this thread. YAMon. Great traffic monitor per IP and totals.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=174706
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. After posting I bought a Netgear R7000 and have had it running Kong's 23550M since 3/9 with no real issues but I can't say I've really tried tweaking much or stress testing it much. It's just seamed to work after loading that build and making all devices connect.

Since choosing the R7000 and loading 23550M, I've read all, holy cow, of the https://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 pages! While reading thru all the pages I ran across a couple people that seemed to have gotten YAMon working and I think that's what I would like to try.

Like I said before, I've wanted to try DD-WRT for years and now that I've finally jumped on board, I love it so far but it is a little more intimidating that I expected for updating and adding packages! I may need to do a lot more reading before trying YAMon since all seems pretty stable for now.

Thanks again for the info and as soon as I figure out what I think I need to do and get brave enough to try, I will try to come back and post what I run into.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just saw this message now... Were you able to get YAMon up and running?

The latest version is available at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806&highlight=

Let me know if you have any questions

Al
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate to say that I haven't gotten it working. I would still love to but after reading all the documentation a while ago, I chickened out and since got side tracked! I will reread the documentation again and see if I can figure it out.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
davecjr wrote:
I hate to say that I haven't gotten it working. I would still love to but after reading all the documentation a while ago, I chickened out and since got side tracked! I will reread the documentation again and see if I can figure it out.

The process is a lot easier now... let me know if/when you need assistance

Al
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally got around to trying to install Yamon 2.0.9.
I have a Netgear r7000 with 23900M installed. I formatted a 2gig usb drive with ext2 and used WinSCP to copy the setup directory to the /opt/YaMon2 directory I created on the drive. I got a lot of errors that mostly seemed to be 'file not found' or can't create directory after running the script. I will try to reformat the drive again since there seems to be a lot of problems getting that done right while using a Windows machine.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
davecjr wrote:
I finally got around to trying to install Yamon 2.0.9.
I have a Netgear r7000 with 23900M installed. I formatted a 2gig usb drive with ext2 and used WinSCP to copy the setup directory to the /opt/YaMon2 directory I created on the drive. I got a lot of errors that mostly seemed to be 'file not found' or can't create directory after running the script. I will try to reformat the drive again since there seems to be a lot of problems getting that done right while using a Windows machine.

This link takes you to a post that describes the process that I'm using now...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=902912#902912

It seems to work (for me at least)
Good luck!
Al

Al
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I did finally get it running. I think I have a few issues to work out but the information here is amazing! Thanks for all the hard work you must put into this. Would you like me to post questions/issues in the other section dedicated to YAMon?

I think I need to edit my config.file but I have an issue I think I saw someone posted already about not being able to see files with Winscp. After initiating the script for the first time, I don't see the Yamon2 folder or the setup folder anymore. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong or something I messed up! Do the files get moved or go away after you run the script or do you think I have something wrong? I wanted to edit a couple of things like my ISP tracking date but can't find the files for nothing.

I also keep getting this message and have seen others that get the same thing.

~~~~~

It appears that all of your devices have been added as `New/unknown` devices... this seems to be a result of a race condition in the JavaScript code (i.e., the hourly data is getting read before the users/devices). Usually, this'll go away if you reload the page.
davecjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate to admit it but I found the folders post install. I have to say I'm just not that great at the Unix/Linux file system and it moved the whole directory to a totally different location.

I have a few things I want to work out or fix with my install but this is a great tool and I will post any more questions or ask for help in what seems to be the main forum for support here.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=yamon+usb&start=0

Thanks for following up with me.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
davecjr wrote:
I hate to admit it but I found the folders post install. I have to say I'm just not that great at the Unix/Linux file system and it moved the whole directory to a totally different location.

I have a few things I want to work out or fix with my install but this is a great tool and I will post any more questions or ask for help in what seems to be the main forum for support here.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=yamon+usb&start=0

Thanks for following up with me.

NP - yes that is the main thread for YAMon... there's a lot of really experienced folks there who can answer a lot of your questions.

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: