Setting WPA2 key renewal interval Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:56    Post subject: Setting WPA2 key renewal interval Question Reply with quote
I have a WRT600N connected as client bridge to another WRT600N and was finding that it sometimes became disconnected from he main router, that I could not access it or resources connected to it from the main network.

I am using WPA2 Personal AES for my wifi security.

This article advised to change the key renewal interval.

WiFi Extension Problem Solved: DD-WRT
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/8505/

Quote:
Enter a 0 in the Key Renewal Interval to disable key renewal. If you don’t disable this feature, your 160NL will disconnect at the specified interval and you’ll have to spend time restarting it.

Doing this seems to have fixed my issue, but I am curious, what exactly is Key Renewal Interval, and do I weaken my security with this change? I changed the setting only on the client bridge router, not the main router.

Thanks
Sponsor
mswlogo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running a recent Build on AC68U and ran into the same issue.

Every once in a while the WIFI would just disappear.

The default was to renew every hour.

I don't recall what the default was on my old Linksys 350N router running DD-WRT but I didn't have this issue of it disappearing for about 1 minute.

I think the real problem is the renew should be seamless. If it's normal behavior then I'd set the default 0.

I noticed some Buffalo WAPs at work default this to off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: