DIR-615 rev d - WiFi speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
charliecharlie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 15:35    Post subject: DIR-615 rev d - WiFi speed Reply with quote
Hi there.

I've got this setup as a repeater bridge and the speed if I connect a device via Ethernet to the DIR-615 is perfect, get a full 30MB down speed. However, if I connect via WiFi to the DIR-615, I only get about 20MB. This is using multiple devices, laptop, phone etc.

If I connect these devices to my main router via WiFi I get the full 30MB download speed.

Is there a setting I am missing to enable me to connect via WiFi to it and get full speed using this as a repeater bridge.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The maximum speed I have been able to get on my DIR-615H is 150 Mb, by setting the channel width to 40 MHz. I haven't seen a DIR-615 confirmed working at 300Mb yet.
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
My DIR-615 D4 worked at 300Mb with Wive-RTNL firmware.
locohaust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 14:19    Post subject: DIR-615 H1 Reply with quote
So I have several devices that connects to this router, 1 nettop, 2 notebooks and few phone and ipads.

On Nettop I get 150mbps and on the notebook I have 75mbps and with port forwarded on the notebook I get the max incredible Smile) speed of 4,5 MBps.

So I ask why is this difference between them?
The nettop is a little bit far, than the notebook which is in the same room with router.

I attached a photo of my configuration. Btw router was configurated, upgraded etc with the notebook.
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't really know why it doesn't work at 300Mb. The developers never responded on this issue.
locohaust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sarex wrote:
I don't really know why it doesn't work at 300Mb. The developers never responded on this issue.

Maybe because the router is 150mbps
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router has a max wireless speed of 300mb. (with the original firmware)
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK guys, I've posted several times on this forum regarding the 150 Mbps connection speed I was having instead of 300 Mbps for the D-Link DIR-615 D2, which is a N300 capable device.

This is what I did and works @ 300 (on firmware 23320, which has been rock stable):

Step1:
In Wireless -> Basic settings: set Channel Width to 40. Apply settings. Wait for the router to set things up.

Step2:
In Administration -> Commands -> Command shell, add this:

sleep 20
iwpriv ra0 set HtTxStream=2
sleep 5
iwpriv ra0 set HtRxStream=2

Click on Save Startup.
In Administration -> Management: Reboot router (this must be done in order for the startup commands to take effect).
*Note: These commands set the Transmit and Receive streams to 2x150, instead of the default 1x150. I don't know why the default is set to a single stream (150 Mbps).
After reboot you should have 300 Mbps WiFi connections with your laptops (as long as the WiFi adapter inside is capable of 300).

Hope this helps.

PS: Oh, forgot an important point: you should use WPA2 Personal with AES encryption in Wireless -> Wireless Security.

PS2: I have found the following connection speeds:
40 MHz + 2 streams -> 300 Mb/s (with the Startup Commands)
40 MHz + 1 stream --> 150 Mb/s
20 MHz + 2 streams -> 144 Mb/s (with the Startup Commands)
20 MHz + 1 stream --> 72 Mb/s
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
PS: Oh, forgot an important point: you should use WPA2 Personal with AES encryption in Wireless -> Wireless Security.

First time I heard about that part. Thanks for the help.

edit: is the RX jumping from 1 to 150 for you?

edit2: Do you know what this line does?

iwpriv ra0 set HtBssCoexApCntThr=10
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the WiFi card I have, Intel 5100, is a weaker card. It can receive @ 300 (2 streams) and transmit only @ 150 (1 stream).
So the router will receive from it only @ 150. In DD-WRT webgui, the connection with the laptop having the Intel 5100 card is: Tx=300 and Rx=150, which is logical, since it receives only @ 150 from the card.
And yes, the connection values fluctuate for Tx between 160 and 300 and for Rx between 54 and 150.
I guess it's normal. When I download something and the laptop is close to the router, it stays at Tx=300 and Rx=150. When not in use, I guess the card activates some power managements and lowers the consumption (hence the lower connection speeds with the router).
For a better WiFi card, let's say Intel 5300 or 6200, we should see Tx=300, Rx=300.

Regarding the line:
iwpriv ra0 set HtBssCoexApCntThr=10
which I omitted from the commands... This gives me an error if I add it in the Command Shell. Checked several forums, but I can't really figure out what it does, unfortunately. I suppose the syntax is just wrong.

Hope this helps Smile
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so what you said got me wondering. I use the DIR-615H1 router, which is N300. It should be the same as the DIR-615D2 performance wise, as far as I know.

With the original D-link firmware (40MHz channel width) from the router side, it shows 150Mb and from the laptop side* 72.2Mb speed.

With the dd-wrt firmware (without the command lines and with 40 MHz channel width) from the router side it shows 150Mb and TX/RX are both 150 too, from the laptop side* it shows 72.2Mb speed.

With the dd-wrt firmware (with! the command lines and with 40 MHz channel width) from the router side it shows 300Mb and TX/RX are both 150 too, from the laptop side* it shows 150Mb speed.

*Checking it in the Wireless network connection status

Ok, so I am confused as hell now. Is the problem with the laptop(network card too weak), or is the problem with the router?

I should get some new laptops soon and I should be able to rule out the network card as the problem. Though I would find it strange if the max throughput for the wireless is really 150Mb, the router is after all marked as a N300 model.

Last edited by Sarex on Thu Mar 27, 2014 18:39; edited 1 time in total
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
is there anybody, who is able to explain to me, why a channel width of 40MHz increases transfer speed compared to 20MHz?
In the past I learned and it's my experience that, when many neighbours are using wifi, transfer speed is higher when setting channel width to 20MHz because of less trouble with interference with neighbourhood signals.
ervau
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sarex,
What you see seems strange, indeed. Something does not add up. Anyway, I'll try to give you an explanation.
First of all MIMO is explained here:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MIMO
From this, I'll take out the following:
1x2:2 - 150Mbps transmitting, 300Mbps receiving, 2 spatial streams (antennas).

My Intel 5100 WiFi adapter is of the 1x2:2 MIMO type. So, this adapter transmits from the laptop @ 150 (Tx=1x150) and receives @ 300 over the 2 antennas (Rx=2x150). In Windows, it shows connected @ 300 to the DIR-615 D2 router. It's clear that Windows shows the Rx speed of the WiFi adapter as connection speed (for marketing purposes obviously, because Tx is usually lower or equal, at best, to Rx for lower-end adapters).

Now let's see the connection speeds shown in DD-WRT. In the Wireless Clients field in the DD-WRT webgui, the laptop appears as:
Tx=300, Rx=150. These are the speeds realized on the router itself. To be clear, the router transmits @ 300 toward the laptop and receives only @ 150 from the laptop (this being in line with the low transmit speed, Tx=150 from the WiFi adapter toward the router).

From what you've written, I guess that your WiFi adapter is a 1x1:1 MIMO model. See this page for possible Intel variants (check the MIMO status column):
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intel
This means that in your case the router itself can receive and transmit @ 300 (with 40 Mhz and the added command lines it should !, and the wireless Rate field confirms the 300 Mb/s value!). On the other hand, the adapter in your laptop can only seem to communicate with the router @ speeds Tx=150 and Rx=150. That's why the max you see in DD-WRT is 150 for both Tx/Rx.

Finally, for the cases when you see 72 instead of 150 in Windows network connection status, I guess the connection was of bad quality and the adapter Rx speed just decreased from 150 to 72. Or, you might have an older WiFi driver which shows this crazy value sometimes (unstable connection maybe ?).

OK, so after this long post of mine (sorry !), can you tell us what WiFi adapter do you have ? Also, the OS that you use and the driver version installed for the adapter ? We might finally be able to clear up a few things after all Smile
Sarex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I was able to find my card (atheros ar9485wb-eg) on the wiki you linked and yes it is indeed a 1x1:1. So it seems that it is a laptop issue, also I use windows 7. The sad thing is that the laptop is newish(Asus x501a), but I guess that is what you get when you go cheap(though, it's for my sister who doesn't really use it for anything except Facebook...).

As for the 72.2Mb connection, I have no clue. I installed the original d-link firmware today, just after your post, to test all this out. It was the latest beta firmware.

In a couple of days I should get a couple of laptops that need some work done, so I should be able to test out the connection then, provided that they have a strong enough network card, which now I shall be able to check.

Again, thank you for taking the time out to help me. I learned something new today.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome Smile
Mounting a low-end 1x1:1 card is definitely a bad choice in newer laptops... It only has 1 stream for both Tx/Rx (meaning max 150 Mb/s) and ONLY 1 antenna/spatial stream (meaning weak signal, unstable connection, and lower-than-advertised actual connection speed).

I suggest to install this latest Win7 driver (10.0.0.274) for your Atheros AR9485WB adapter:
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=61&system=5
You can also find a direct link here, I've just uploaded here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!B88wxSDZ!qr1VB_CrVambiY5NOx4ESQkvZSez1c1TXSmgRzPL-_8

You might also want to take a look at this thread, lots of interesting discussions there:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137750&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Cheers,
KrypteX
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: