Is my router lacking in performance or is it dying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Proself
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added 20+ additional wireless devices (in the last few months) when there used to only be ~5. That has changed the dynamics of my networking considerably. Odd things here and there lead me down the path that my router (I accept it may not be dying) is over burdened. I am trying to either reduce that load (with all the devices still in use) or find a better performer(s)...
Sponsor
onix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neither 25 clients nor 4GB seems like a lot. 4GB most people stream everyday if they watch on-demand video and especially movies, even just one movie in HD. Do you see a slow deterioration of quality after restart? If so, maybe you can reboot regularly overnight.

If instead there are a lot of requests at one time from different clients, it's to be expected that there will be a lot of conflicts, interference and, lag. No amount of antenna changing will help you. In fact multi-antennas only offer you directionality, and if you want omnidirectionality where your 25 clients are circularly located around your router than a new antenna won't help. A tall antenna will keep the signal planar, i.e. good if you are in a single-story.

My preferential recommendation is to go dual-band. Split your clients over two different frequencies. Or use another wireless router hardwired, that broadcasts over another channel.

Proself wrote:
I added 20+ additional wireless devices (in the last few months) when there used to only be ~5. That has changed the dynamics of my networking considerably. Odd things here and there lead me down the path that my router (I accept it may not be dying) is over burdened. I am trying to either reduce that load (with all the devices still in use) or find a better performer(s)...

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went with two wireless routers hardwired. Turned off DHCP and enabled the WAN port to be a switch on the second one - all that stuff in case anyone else asks. Split up the devices. We'll see how it goes after a few days.
Proself
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any info that I could be looking to modify when I get the prompt, "your connection is unstable". I mean when I see it pop up on some of the devices is there something corresponding either in the GUI or maybe over telnet that points me to something I can try and change.

Like too much load or not enough memory or I don't know what that's why am asking. What specifically can I look at to nullify this? It doesn't come up as much as it did with the 2 wireless routers working but I still see it from time to time. Oh all the devices are now split between 2 - 2.4 GHz and 1 - 5 GHz bands. I assumed if it can operate at 5 GHz then it should definitely be connected to that as opposed to everything at 2.4 GHz. Also on the Site Survey I can only see 2.4 GHz APs, nothing on 5 GHz. Or am I missing something?

Ideally I'd love to never see it again but it's clear that it's a by productive of the usage. That's not going down. In fact I'm looking to increase it. So what are my options? How can I balance the load? I'm willing to do whatever needs to be done.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: