PPTP VPN help greatly appreciated

jcs725
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 0:43    Post subject: PPTP VPN help greatly appreciated Reply with quote
Primary router is an Arris. It's one from my ISP that I have to use because of my tivos and my phone system. The IP of my primary router is 192.168.1.1

I have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 13064. It's internal IP is 192.168.1.2.
This thing has been flawless forever. I love it. It's running SSHD and I shell in when I'm away from home and tunnel RDP sessions through that connection or I use it to tunnel my web traffic when visiting other places so nobody sees my Facebook habits. Smile

Anyway I now have a need to have it running a VPN / PPTP server. I've tried everything I can and the best result I can get is an error 619 on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Here are things I've tried.
Server IP: I've tried 192.168.1.2, I've tried an unused address 192.168.1.4, I tried 0.0.0.0 and I found where other people tried entering their external IP address (though I see no value in that given it's a dynamic address.)

Client IP: This one I just got a range of unused addresses and put it in. 192.168.1.231-236

On my primary router under Application Layer Gateway I have PPTP checked (allowed), on the Firewall settings I've got PPTP pass through enabled. And lastly I have tried setting up a few virtual servers (port forwarding) right now I have port 1723 (TCP) forwarding to 192.168.1.2 but I've also tried the other addresses I mentioned above in the server ip and I've tried just removing it completely.

I'm not completely inept but for whatever reason this is proving very challenging. I love my DD-WRT box and would love to start using it more in new ways. I really need to have a VPN / PPTP solution in place so I can get to my home network from the outside. For testing all of this I've been using my laptop connected to my T-Mobile Samsung 4g mobile hotspot.

I would greatly appreciate any tips / tricks / advice. I've tried searching the forums and the interwebs for different solutions but most have DD-WRT running as their primary router. Ultimately I'm unsure what my server ip needs to be and what rules I need to have in place on my primary router.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=886345#886345
jcs725
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks but that's just for general setup. I have my DD-WRT working behind the primary router already. I'm just trying to figure out the PPTP / VPN config issue.
It's probably something that's going to make me feel like a complete idiot but that's how it goes sometimes.
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can we assume that you've basically got the WRT54GS set up like you would a wireless access point with a LAN-LAN connection to the ARRIS device?
jcs725
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that would be pretty close. Though I have wireless turned off. It's sole function in my environment today is an SSH appliance. The 2 devices (Arris and Linksys) are next to each other with a cat 5 cable between them.
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming they're connected LAN-LAN, I'm not sure.

I've successfully set this up before doing just what you've done.
1. DD-WRT as access point.
2. Configure VPN server
3. Forward VPN port from main router to VPN server IP.

I'm out of ideas... sorry Sad
jcs725
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else?

I'd really like to get this setup as I have to travel for work this week..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: