Mikrotik RB-1000 Serial Port issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
fta1135
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 0:28    Post subject: Mikrotik RB-1000 Serial Port issue Reply with quote
Hello All,

I've been working on this problem for several weeks now without any success, perhaps someone out there can help.

I recently purchased a Mikrotik RB-1000 and a professional license for the DD-WRT, unfortunately I've not been able get my rb-1000 router to work via serial port.

I'm able to connect into my router via winbox but have not been able to get the serial port to work so that I can change the boot order...

Does anyone out there have any suggestions how I can change the boot order? I'm able to telnet into the box successfully but after much reading (RTFM), I'm still not sure how to do much inside this powerful OS. Is changing the boot order possible via Telnet?

I have successfully made a CF with DD-WRT, just can't get it to boot into the CF Sad

My settings are

115200,8,n,1, off

I've even tried pressing the DEL key as I read somewhere that output could somehow be suppressed unless the DEL key is pressed at boot-time.... Either way it still didn't work.

No matter what I do I can't get anything out on the serial port. When I supply power to the router I get a few beeps and a blue light but the serial port seems to be doing nothing Sad Perhaps I purchased a bad unit off ebay?

I do see that I have a 'serial0' device inside my router, my USB 2.0 serial cable is Communications port 6 (Windows 7).

I do know that my cable and drivers are correct as I'm able to get into other hardware without issues.

Not sure if this will help, when I type on the keyboard, nothing echo's back to me on the monitor (LCD).

Tried using HyperTerminal Private Edition (Win 7), TeraTerm... Not been able to connect via either software.

Thank you for your time,

ls
Sponsor
fta1135
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:06    Post subject: Partial fix Reply with quote
I finally found a source online that directed me to manually setting the boot device via the following on the RB-1000 router.

system routerboard settings set boot-device=flash-boot

Upon changing the boot device my system shows:

baud-rate: 115200
boot-delay: 2s
boot-device: flash-boot
enter-setup-on: any-key
cpu-frequency: 1333MHz
boot-protocol: bootp
enable-jumper-reset: yes
silent-boot: no

My settings under "/system routerboard settings"
export
# jan/01/1970 17:07:28 by RouterOS 4.11
# software id = AIGG-F7Z9
#
/system routerboard settings
set baud-rate=115200 boot-delay=2s boot-device=flash-boot boot-protocol=bootp cpu-frequency=1333MHz enable-jumper-reset=yes enter-setup-on=any-key silent-boot=no
set baud-rate=115200 boot-delay=2s boot-device=flash-boot boot-protocol=bootp cpu-frequency=1333MHz enable-jumper-reset=yes enter-setup-on=any-key silent-boot=no

enable-jumper-reset: yes
silent-boot: no

Not sure why it's showing things twice...

But upon restart my device defaults back to "nand-if-fail-then-ethernet"....

Not sure why it's not booting into the CF card on ETH1, I did a full wipe of the CF with all ZERO's and successfully wrote the .IMAGE file but it does not seem to be booting from CF or holding my settings for some reason.

I read online that SASH mentioned upgrading to the newest firmware but I'm not sure how to do that or if I'm at the newest level. I do know that my system reads RouterOS level 6 and when I try to upgrade it appears to have all the upgrades but I'm not sure if this is what SASH was talking about.

Please, any suggestions?

Thank you,

ls
fta1135
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
My firmware:

[admin@MikroTik] /system routerboard> print
routerboard: yes
model: "1000"
serial-number: "228A019DF8AB"
current-firmware: "2.27"
upgrade-firmware: "2.27"
fta1135
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 17:04    Post subject: More info... Not sure what this means Reply with quote
admin@MikroTik] /store disk<SAFE> print
Flags: S - system
# NAME TOTAL-SPACE FREE-SPACE STATUS
0 S system 520192KiB 492172KiB ready
1 CF1 invalid

I found this inside the routerboard... It sees the CF1 but states that it's invalid... Not sure why it's invalid and why the boot order keeps changing back to NAND even though I force it to boot from Flash-Boot

Any suggestions? No comments?

Thank you,

LS
fta1135
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:05    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote
No comments or suggestions? I would love to hear back from somebody...

So I ordered another (2nd) RB-1000 Mikrotik router just in case the 1st one was defective... I really want to get the RB1000 working as my primary router as my Buffalo HP-AG-300H works wonderfully with DD-WRT but it's much too slow as far as the VPN is concerned...

Not sure what I'm going to do with two RB-1000 routers, lol...

On a side note...

Sash,

If I'm still having problems getting both MikroTik's to boot from CF would you be interested in setting this up for me? I would supply all hardware (router, CF, etc), I would love to hear back from you... If interested please email me what you think is a fair price including shipping (no rush, I've plenty of time)...

I read in a previous post that you own a Mikrotik Router and are somewhat familiar with them...

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help from previous posts as well!!!

ls
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
i mentioned to install the latest bootloader.
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation

Jump to: