Apple devices not connecting at N speeds only G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
mattgruden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 15:44    Post subject: Apple devices not connecting at N speeds only G Reply with quote
Long story short; I rearranged my living room and no longer have the ability of wiring my Apple TV so I figured it's Wireless N that will most certainly be better.

Everything is configured correctly as far as the router is concerned as my netbook is connecting at N speeds. I am running in NG Mixed mode with WPA2 AES encryption but my Apple TV, iPhone and iPad will not connect at N speeds.

I read this Apple Support article (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3727) which claims the devices will not connect at N speeds if WMM is not enabled or configured correctly. The problem is that DD-WRT has removed the configuration for it and has it permanently enabled (from what I've read).

I tried to enable and configure QoS in attempt to improve streaming capabilities to the Apple TV without luck.

Any suggestions would be helpful as I am not at a loss here.

Running a D-Link D-615 E3 on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/18/14) std - build 23919.

Wireless Mode: AP
Wireless Network Mode: NG-Mixed
Channel Width: Dynamic (20/40 Mhz)
Wireless Channel: Auto
Extension Channel: Auto
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable
Regulatory Domain: Canada
TX Power: 50 dBm
Antenna Gain: 0 dBi
Protection Mode: None
RTS Threshold: Disable
Short Preamble: Disable
TX Antenna Chains: 1+2
RX Antenna Chains: 1+2
AP Isolation: Disable
ScanList: default
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing): 2000
Max Associated Clients(Default: 256 Clients): 256
MTik Compatibility: Disable
Network Configuration: Bridged

Thanks!
Sponsor
mattgruden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions!

rizla7 wrote:
wmm setting is on wireless advanced settings page near the bottom of the main section.

set it to on.

There isn't a WMM setting in the BrainSlayer latest build and from what I've read its permanently enabled.

rizla7 wrote:
try settings width to 20mhz in stead of 40 or auto, if that doesn't work try beacon interval 50 instead of 100. and set a channel like 1,6,11.

I will give this a shot and report back.

UPDATE
If I set it to Full (20MHz) then the netbook connects at G speeds but setting to Turbo (40MHz) it is connecting at N.

rizla7 wrote:
try setting to n-only, aes, wpa2. but i think it was working with ng-mixed, cant remember. also, try tkip+aes, some older devices have a problem supporting n-mode with aes only.

If I have N-Only set my netbook no longer connects to the network but I can confirm by the TX and RX rate that on the Wireless tab that it is connected at N instead of G.

UPDATE
Also doesn't the N specification require AES not TKIP to allow for full speeds?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
what are the specific apple devices exactly? names. & 802.11n requires wpa2 aes leave it there(aes not aes+tkip either)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mattgruden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have an Apple TV2, iPhone 4 and iPad 1. The latter 2 I don't care so much about receiving full speeds it is the Apple TV2 that I am having the most issues with streaming content over my LAN; constant buffering.

I tried stock d-link firmware *shudders* everything connects at N but at a rate of 65M. I am going to reflash dd-wrt now.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
65mbps is all they support & that is n speed, 1x1:1 @ ht20 which apple forces on 2.4ghz = 65mbps, theoretical max about 48mbps so its still good(older devices like iphone 4 & ipad 1 etc cpu are too weak to get that speed)

also as you noticed already dont go to r24118 go to r23919

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: