Installing DD-WRT on a rebranded TP-Link TL-WR1043ND?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 18:38    Post subject: Installing DD-WRT on a rebranded TP-Link TL-WR1043ND? Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm new to the forum so first of all hello everyone Smile

Ok, so I've purchased a router from a brand called ICIDU. They're a Dutch (?) company and they sell rebranded routers from other brands. The one I purchased, an ICIDU NI-707533 appears to be a rebranded TL-WR1043ND from the company TP-Link (www.tp-link.com), since the hardware and internals are the same. The only difference is that it has different firmware installed, that of ICIDU.

Now the problem is, they have an extra layer of security on the router preventing you from installing the wrong firmware. So if I upload the DD-WRT file for the TL-WR1043ND, it tells me to check the file name and try again, error number 18005. Now I was wondering what the file name should be. I've checked ICIDU's website and there are no firmware files there, so I tried emailing them. They basically told me there are no firmware files for the router and they've dropped all support for that model. So now I'm stuck.

Would there be any way to see how the router checks the file name? Or would there be any other way to force it to install the firmware?

Thanks in advance for any help! If any pictures or files are needed I'd be happy to provide.
Sponsor
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there maybe a way to trick the router into thinking the firmware being uploaded is factory firmware? I read somewhere that you need to change the Hardware ID (HWID) of the firmware file and the version. However since the error says check filename, it might not work. And I have no idea what the HWID and version of my router would be :/

So any ideas?
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUMP - Still need help on this. Not urgent though, but still, would be nice Smile
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still need some help guys...
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?
checho
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This must be flashed by disassembling the router and connecting a serial schematic cable to the board by soldering wires. Also it requires moderate knowledge at networking.
theWojtek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wouldn't it work with TFTP?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
theWojtek wrote:
Wouldn't it work with TFTP?

Yes it is flashed by TFTP method but the TFTP server has to reside on the user's computer. The router will request the file by its TFTP client.
arjhun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20    Post subject: ICIDU NI-707533 with wr1043 dd-wrt, It worked. Reply with quote
I can confirm that upgrading the Icidu NI-707533 via serial and an external tftp server is possible and very easy, if done right. Going back to icidu firmware is not possible of you dont dump the factory firmware!

I hooked up an arduino uno (with the reset pin connected to ground) to the icidu on the P1 port (tx to pin1 and rx to pin0 of the arduino) on the main board, see attachment. Giving me a quick usb to serial connection. This allowed me to connect to the device via putty with a 11520 baud rate on the com port of the arduino, in my case COM6(other settings are already fine).(You can also use other usb to serial cables and options)

Then I followed this useful guide exactly, except for replacing the tp-link bin file with the factory to dd-wrt bin file for the wr1043N (v 1.0). http://sjoosten.nl/2013/07/unbrick-tl-wr1043nd.html

Everything worked fine and after I updated to the latest DD-WRT release via the browser method.

Putty:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Useful TFTP GUI for windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftputil/
Qub1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow thanks, I'm going to buy one (or at least a serial cable) and try it out. I'll report back whether it worked Smile
ckm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
i found this on youtube it shows how to serial flash a wr1043nd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNrnLnLakE

read all these post will also help.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: