SMALLEST VPN router

hocken24a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 21:05    Post subject: SMALLEST VPN router Reply with quote
Need help in finding the smallest (i.e. travel) router that does ALL the following:

1. OpenVPN client (or DD-WRT)
2. SPI firewall
3. 1 Ethernet LAN interface
4. 1 Ethernet WAN interface
5. minimum b/g WLAN (but prefer n)

As a reference, I really looking for something similar to the ZuniConnect ZTRP150, but with the added capability of OpenVPN client and SPI firewall.

There are several routers that meet all five of these criteria, but none of them are small travel routers.

Please help. Thanks
Sponsor
FlangeMonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking for something similar myself... Anyone?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
wrt160n(preferably v3, more ram & less power usage)? that thing is pretty small..

or perhaps the wifi pineapple from hak5, its specifically designed as a "travel router" but im pretty sure its not ddwrt supported, got dual 2.4ghz radios one atheros b/g/n & one realtek b/g, the thing is loaded

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

FlangeMonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure about hocken24a, but I need someone for a specific project that is cheap.

I personally already have a pineapple and love those things... they work really well for travel and play. The good thing is there stable and some dd-wrt devices I've done in the past haven't been.
hocken24a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT160N looks like a good router, but I would hardly call it a travel router at 8"x6"x2". any other suggestions out there??
kentchristopher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you find a solution to this? If not, it seems the TP-Link TL-WR710N might do with DD-WRT or OpenWRT.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=3143&model=TL-WR710N

Note it is also available with a US plug, but the OpenWRT page says that the international version only has 2MB of flash, as opposed to 8MB on the Euro version. You can apparently upgrade the flash chip if you really want the international version.

Update: conflicting information regarding the flash stroage. This thread suggests there is a US version which has 8MB of flash, and it's the Chinese version which has only 2MB. So just make sure you know what you're buying.
kentchristopher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow up to my previous post: I just saw that the router I mentioned, the TL-WR710N, is on sale at TigerDirect in the US for $15 after rebate. Trying to find out if it's the 8MB version. I'll report back if it is.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sdtid=7086062&EdpNo=8674252&SRCCODE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: