Netgear R6300v2 - 5GHz Wi-Fi power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ultradj83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 23:54    Post subject: Netgear R6300v2 - 5GHz Wi-Fi power Reply with quote
Hi there!

Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/18/14) std - build 23919 on Netgear R6300v2.

5GHz Wi-Fi TX Power is set to 71mW and nothing changes increasing it up to 999mW, router seems to ignore this setting, and coverage is really poor (about 25% of 2.4GHz network I don't want to use because of compatibility issues with Android devices).

How can I increase 5GHz TX power?

Thanks and best regards
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16    Post subject: Re: Netgear R6300v2 - 5GHz Wi-Fi power Reply with quote
ultradj83 wrote:
Hi there!

Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/18/14) std - build 23919 on Netgear R6300v2.

5GHz Wi-Fi TX Power is set to 71mW and nothing changes increasing it up to 999mW, router seems to ignore this setting, and coverage is really poor (about 25% of 2.4GHz network I don't want to use because of compatibility issues with Android devices).

How can I increase 5GHz TX power?

Thanks and best regards

BrainSlayer build uses the latest broadcom drivers, you can't boost txpwr anymore, the radio regulates it to the max allowed for your country and channel settings. Next things is, even if you could increase txpwr on the router you only increase output to the android, but not from the android to the router, thus pretty much has no effect.

You need to get a router with external antenna to improve range.

And 71mW means default power which is output the maximum allowed output per country and channel, if the android supports higher channels, then coose one of the highest channel, e.g. ch 36 only outputs 200mW, while a channel above >100 gives you up to 1000mW if the radio can do it, but the R6300V2 does not have such good power amps.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, exactly.

I've already been trying higher channels, output is still 71mW.

Here higher channel are allowed up to 200mW or 1W.

Thanks a lot!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ultradj83 wrote:
Well, exactly.

I've already been trying higher channels, output is still 71mW.

Here higher channel are allowed up to 200mW or 1W.

Thanks a lot!

Forget about that setting, 71 right now means auto power on this unit and that is just the setting, not what the radio outputs, big difference. As the radio always decides based on regulation settings and those differ per MCS.

Just look at the TX Power on wireless status page. If you haven't changed anything on WLX-Advanced it will show auto. And 99% of all users don't want to change anything in the advanced section.

With latest drivers you can only lower the output but not override it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds correct.

I see 1000mW on the Status.

At this point I need to check on Android its TX power and eventually increase it.

It's so strange that with 1000mW I have 25% of 2.4GHz coverage...

Thanks!
ultradj83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot find a way to check and set 5GHz Wi-Fi power on Android 4.1.2 (tried on Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S2).
Service menu reports N/A on TX power.

Do you also know how to fix the connection loosing problem on 2.4GHz with Android?
After 30-60 minutes it's necessary to powercycle Wi-Fi in order to resume connection, otherwise I can ping nothing (router included), also if Wi-Fi is shawn as connected.

Thanks again.
the12pac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ultradj83 wrote:
I cannot find a way to check and set 5GHz Wi-Fi power on Android 4.1.2 (tried on Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S2).
Service menu reports N/A on TX power.

Do you also know how to fix the connection loosing problem on 2.4GHz with Android?
After 30-60 minutes it's necessary to powercycle Wi-Fi in order to resume connection, otherwise I can ping nothing (router included), also if Wi-Fi is shawn as connected.

Thanks again.

This same thing happens to me using a Acer Iconia Tab A500 (4.0.3) and the AC1450 (R6300v2) with 24865M. I came home today with this issue, but both my phones are connecting fine with 4.1.2. Must power cycle router to get working again. I have a suspicion the same thing is happening with 25015 since I was having issues and backed down to 24856 before noticing the pattern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: