ex 6200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
kgb173
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 20:39    Post subject: ex 6200 Reply with quote
I see that the new version supports the ex 6200 extender which I have.

I assume it's same as the r7000 which is load the .chk right?
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:34    Post subject: Re: ex 6200 Reply with quote
kgb173 wrote:

Yes it loads the ex6200 chk and only the chk, since it has only 8MB flash. Flashing the bin will not work, but should not brick the unit.

There will be soon an article on myopenrouter, that explains how lights and some other stuff works on the ex6200.

Anyways, flashing dd-wrt will transform the extender into a router, giving you a wan port + 4 lan ports.

I think it is a cool unit small and powerful, has a dual core arm 2x800Mhz.

Buttons lights etc. are fully supported. Due to the 8MB flash it will only come with samba/ftp/vpn and the basic stuff dd-wrt includes. No things like webserver,adblock, asterisk, minidlna...

If you don't need such features it is a much better R6300V2, since it has some nice external antennae.

P.S. Flashing back to oem through dd-wrt webif is of course supported.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kong.
If I want to use it as an extender with the wpa2 security can I still do that or am I limited there since now I'm putting a router into extender mode so I have to downgrade security and speed?

The ex 6200 now gets me 30mb wireless and 63mb when I use an AC unit which is full speed. Using 5ghz to 5GHz
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kgb173 wrote:
Thanks Kong.
If I want to use it as an extender with the wpa2 security can I still do that or am I limited there since now I'm putting a router into extender mode so I have to downgrade security and speed?

The ex 6200 now gets me 30mb wireless and 63mb when I use an AC unit which is full speed. Using 5ghz to 5GHz

you should use WPA2-AES for repeater/repeater bridge modes to maintain speeds and connection:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
pallepaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 14:55    Post subject: Re: ex 6200 Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Yes it loads the ex6200 chk and only the chk, since it has only 8MB flash. Flashing the bin will not work, but should not brick the unit.

There will be soon an article on myopenrouter, that explains how lights and some other stuff works on the ex6200.

Anyways, flashing dd-wrt will transform the extender into a router, giving you a wan port + 4 lan ports.

Buttons lights etc. are fully supported. Due to the 8MB flash it will only come with samba/ftp/vpn and the basic stuff dd-wrt includes. No things like webserver,adblock, asterisk, minidlna...

If you don't need such features it is a much better R6300V2, since it has some nice external antennae.

Will the EX6200 still be able to use FastLane mode when using dd-wrt firmware?
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 21:17    Post subject: Re: ex 6200 Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
kgb173 wrote:

I'm wondering if there is another place to find the .chk file for going stock-to-ddwrt for the EX6200 now that your (Kong's) file page is gone. I looked in the dd-wrt ftp page until betas and all it has there is the .bin for the EX6200, but not the .chk.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Kong

May I suggest that more filesystem support is included in the ex6200/micro build? I think USB support should be optimised to offset the small flash issue, as using bootstrap/opkg to store programs on USB storage increases the functionality of this router to practically the same as the larger models like the r7000.

I think ext4/vfat/ntfs support could be squeezed on, given the current chk/bin file size.
gaetawoo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/

Great! Thanks!!
Aqualung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming that I do not need to turn my EX6200 into a router, would there be any advantages to flashing DDWRT on it (as opposed to using stock FW)? In particular, would I still be able to use the advertiesd FastLane technology to connect to my (stock) R7000? I must confess that I am not terribly happy with the current EX6200 stock FW (V1.0.0.46_1.1.70).
wmarsh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40    Post subject: Finally a working WAP Reply with quote
Thank you Kong for making a build for the EX6200. I bought the EX6200 intending to set it up as a WAP, only to find that was not possible. Today I installed build 25697 (downloadable off dd-wrt.com in the Beta folder) and it is working perfectly.
Aqualung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:14    Post subject: Re: Finally a working WAP Reply with quote
wmarsh wrote:
Today I installed build 25697 (downloadable off dd-wrt.com in the Beta folder) and it is working perfectly.

What did you flash, factory-to-dd-wrt.chk, or netgear-ex6200-webflash.bin?
wmarsh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
factory-to-dd-wrt.chk

The Netgear firmware was looking for a chk file to flash. The only issue is the EX6200 thought I was downgrading the firmware -- probably I had the up-to-date firmware on it and Kong probably intended to upgrade from the as shipped firmware, but it worked fine.

I think the bin file is for subsequent updates of dd-wrt.

My biggest issue was setting up DHCP as I did not want separate subnets -- took me 2 attempts to figure out the correct settings. In retrospect it was obvious, but I am new to dd-wrt.
Aqualung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
wmarsh wrote:
The Netgear firmware was looking for a chk file to flash. [...] I think the bin file is for subsequent updates of dd-wrt.

Did you flash the bin file too? Did you notice any difference afterwards? Also, did you manage to make the EX6200 work in "FastLane technology"?
wmarsh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw no reason to flash the bin file after I flashed the chk one -- its the same firmware.

Kong has posted elsewhere that "FastLane" functionality has been available in dd-wrt for years:
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/56606/Transform-the-NETGEAR-EX6200-into-a-Wi-Fi-Router-with-DD-WRT/?page=2#20455
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: