WRT54G v6 stuck in Management Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 23:06    Post subject: WRT54G v6 stuck in Management Mode Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54G v6. It has a serial number that begins with "CDFD".

It is stuck in Management Mode (when you go to http://192.168.1.1/, it says "Management Mode Firmware Upgrade").

The power light blinks about 4 times per second.

I do not know how this came to be. I am trying to fix it for a friend who just said it stopped working.

This router has never had any non-Linksys firmware on it.

I have tried uploading Linksys firmware v1.02.7 (which I got from the Linksys support page for this router). It says "Upgrade Success" after doing so, but the router does not come out of Management Mode afterwards, even after doing a famous "30/30/30" (with reset button) or a regular power cycle. I tried waiting 10 minutes before rebooting it after the upgrade, too.

I am able to ping it, but not consistently. It rarely (although sometimes) pings after being powered on. In order to get it to ping, I hold down reset for 3-10 seconds and then it starts pinging. Once it starts responding to pings, it usually does so indefinitely unless I try to do something to it.

Ping responses always have TTL=64.

Sometimes after power on, it does strange things with the lights periodically, such as:
- The SecureEasySetup (Cisco logo) might turn orange, or may blink white a few times
- The WLAN light may come on for a second or two and then turn off
- All 4 Ethernet (LAN) ports may light up stead at once for a few seconds and then turn off

But in general it is just the blinking power light and the 1 LAN light for the connection to my PC. (I don't have a cable plugged into the WAN port)

TFTP does not seem to work. nmap says UDP port 69 is closed. When I run the Linksys TFTP 1.255 GUI with IP=192.168.1.1 and password=admin with the 1.02.7 firmware.bin, it says "Unable to get responses from the server"

Any ideas?

I've seen a few similar threads with no repeatable solution:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=330624
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=179974
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=983

Thanks much
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
see the wiki install instructions for this router. Follow those steps and see if dd-wrt can go on it. Sounds like someone put a file on it that they shouldn't have, but try the proper steps and see.

If that doesn't work, jtag it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
see the wiki install instructions for this router. Follow those steps and see if dd-wrt can go on it. Sounds like someone put a file on it that they shouldn't have, but try the proper steps and see.

The wiki that I see here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

Says in step 9 not to proceed if it is in Management Mode. Should I just continue with step 11 and upload the vxworks_prep_03.bin from Management Mode instead of the normal webgui? Or should I skip steps 9-15 completely (including the vxworks_prep_03.bin) and just go right from step 8 to step 16?

Murrkf wrote:
If that doesn't work, jtag it.

I am in a pretty remote area in Asia, and I don't have a computer with a parallel port. I just have USB. There is no easy way for me to make a cable to do a JTAG with only USB, is there?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would first try to find out more about how it came to be like this. Talk to the friend. Without knowing more it is difficult to know the safest route.

If you have to take a chance, since tftp isn't working (make sure! - note 11 of peacock), you can try to upload with managemement mode. I would NOT skip the steps. I would go through all of the steps and upload the prep file first, then continue with the rest of the prep files.

USB jtag is expensive and I don't know that it works. Try to borrow a computer with a parallel port if you have to. Let us know how you do.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The owner says the router was working fine with the stock firmware that came on it when it was purchased. Then it was unplugged during a party, and when it was plugged back in, it was in this state. No one has ever tried to put other software on it or otherwise do anything funky with regards to hardware or software.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
use the management modescreen to flash the stock linksys firmware for that unit.

Download the correct linksys bin, select it va the management mode screen, hit "upgrade"... Done

tftp doesn't work if a management screen is available.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good advice from BW....do that.
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
use the management modescreen to flash the stock linksys firmware for that unit.

Download the correct linksys bin, select it va the management mode screen, hit "upgrade"... Done

As I tried to explain in my original post for this thread, I have tried that many times, and it does not work. The device stays in Management Mode.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
scootley wrote:
barryware wrote:

As I tried to explain in my original post for this thread, I have tried that many times, and it does not work. The device stays in Management Mode.

Provide a link to the firmware you are trying to flash.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Provide a link to the firmware you are trying to flash.

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/firmware/1224638371299/FW_WRT54Gv5v6_1.02.7.011_EN_20090727.bin

As seen on http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/support/WRT54G/download when "Version 6.0" is selected
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is the correct firmware.

Try this.. 1st, make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is disabled. Also clear your browsers cache & cookies.

with the router powered down, press & hold the reset button. Keep holding the button and power it up. Continue to hold the button for 30 + seconds, then let go. Leave the router alone now for a minute or so, then power down, back up and now try to flash that firmware via the management screen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cannot ping the router after the power up before I am supposed to flash (with these instructions).

Here's what happens:
1. Disable anti-virus and firewall
2. Clear browser cache and cookies
3. With router off, press and hold reset
4. Keep holding reset and power up
5. Keep reset held for 40 seconds
6. Let go of reset
7. Wait 70 seconds
8. Power down
9. Power up
10. The router goes through a series of different light sequences that I described in the first post, ultimately ending up with the power light blinking, all 4 LAN lights on steady, and the WAN light on steady.
11. Router will not respond to pings, and cannot be browsed to via browser

The only way to get it to respond to pings when it has this light pattern is to power off and then on, and then hold reset for a few seconds at or soon after power on but before the light pattern settles.

But in that case the update appears to succeed but Management Mode remains, as described originally.
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, I've noticed by doing some trial and error debugging with wireshark that modern browsers' silent requests for the /favicon.ico crash the Management Mode web server, so one must disable favicons in order to get around this.

Doesn't seem to be common knowledge, so I thought I'd add this tidbit.

It does not help my situation, though.
scootley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was not able to resolve this (stuck in Management Mode) without using a JTAG cable.

See here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=371996
link2ddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:22    Post subject: wrt54g v6 Stuck in management mode Reply with quote
I was able to flash the MYIMAGE.bin created by vximgtoolgui in management mode. Still following instruction on dd-wrt page ..
Any NEW POST out there?? I have a working router same ver... using other router to make images.BIN

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: