New Build - 06/23/2014 - r24461

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Hexxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
My experience? If you lost the gui in OpenWRT (Reset, whatever) you are fucked up - if you are very good in the cli then you can get it back to work. After 8 month with very good experience i lost my old router with OpenWRT. After a reset i lost the GUI, no way back. Unknown reasons but i didnt get back my internet connection.....stuck on the cli. Flashback of the original FW and my old router are bricked.

OpenWRT is not better - its different and in some special point you get a lot of problems.
Sponsor
kuruczfarm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably had some special problem. OpenWRT is harder to learn and configure, but after you make it working, you will have no problem with it.
DD-WRT is for novice users, easy to deploy and config, but it is full of bugs for month (or years)
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kuruczfarm in my opinion Hexxer has a point, for OpenWrt you have to know a little of CLI you need it at least in case of Failsafe, there is no reset button on OpenWrt, and if you dont know what you are doing like change mode of DHCP you will not be able to log into interface.
Other matter there is not webrevert file, you have to strip it or get a stripped FW in a FTP server.
I use it, but there is a learning curve.
DD-WRT its easier, if you do something wrong just reset it and you are done.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
We are all a little nervous because curently build 24461 has problems but there are no new builds. Last New Year there was a similar situation...
but than devs released a lots of new features such as bandwidth limiting etc. Now, even stock has that option...
I had 841ndv3 and many problems. I reported them but devs didn't pay much attention... It was almost allways : It is working for us, you misconfigured something.
Then I bought 740ndV4 and figured out that 841 has 3.5 kernel and 740 3.10 kernel. 740 has features like nDPI for l7 filtering and much more but wifi chip
can go only 18dBm. It is only good as a repeater (WDS sta + VAP)... those are my expiriences doesn't mean I am right...
So, I decided to sell them and bought 842ndV2 (CPU 535Mhz, 8MB flash, 32MB RAM). 842ndV2 is 40 dollars in my country.
Now I am on 24461 with 842ndV2. DDNS, URL and keyword blocking, more than 30 static leases, and some features that was important for me are working...
WI-FI rock solid... and I mean it ROCK solid. And I have NAS, Samba share and transsmision torrent client (still learning)...
So I figured out BS and Kong can not maintain every unit. They are focused on newer...
be patient... I think that next build will solve a lot of problems... but my suggestion to all new ddwrt users, buy newer units...
fernandoavc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:55    Post subject: Agreed. Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
We are all a little nervous because curently build 24461 has problems but there are no new builds. Last New Year there was a similar situation...
but than devs released a lots of new features such as bandwidth limiting etc. Now, even stock has that option...
I had 841ndv3 and many problems. I reported them but devs didn't pay much attention... It was almost allways : It is working for us, you misconfigured something.
Then I bought 740ndV4 and figured out that 841 has 3.5 kernel and 740 3.10 kernel. 740 has features like nDPI for l7 filtering and much more but wifi chip
can go only 18dBm. It is only good as a repeater (WDS sta + VAP)... those are my expiriences doesn't mean I am right...
So, I decided to sell them and bought 842ndV2 (CPU 535Mhz, 8MB flash, 32MB RAM). 842ndV2 is 40 dollars in my country.
Now I am on 24461 with 842ndV2. DDNS, URL and keyword blocking, more than 30 static leases, and some features that was important for me are working...
WI-FI rock solid... and I mean it ROCK solid. And I have NAS, Samba share and transsmision torrent client (still learning)...
So I figured out BS and Kong can not maintain every unit. They are focused on newer...
be patient... I think that next build will solve a lot of problems... but my suggestion to all new ddwrt users, buy newer units...

I am novice as participant in this forum as it appears in my nickname... but we´ve seem time-to-time that make everyone happy is impossible... I can´t help in development but providing logs or maybe contributing with some cash... as said by Mile-lile wifi is solid and a lot of new stuff (I came from the released version from the dd-wrt website) so I am using the nas feature with Samba sharing, tor, proxy-blocking, transmission client all that with two routers sharing the internet to my home including two desktops as servers and a lot routing rules and redirections and all that is working just fine! good enough for me to not notice anything that maybe some savvy person might find... That´s why I´d asked some posts ago if is there any major flaw such one that an exploitation might compromise my network... but so far everything in here is great and I am using the "cursed" 24461 version with an old Buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh router...
sgibson5150
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router Model: WNDR3700v4
Reset: Initial reset before, 30/30/30 after
Errors: None

I've been running 24461 since 09/19 with great success. Wifi is rock solid. No random reboots. Much better than the two previous builds I've tried on this unit.

I generally remain logged in via ssh to tail /var/log/messages, and twice I've had logging die on me. The first time, a reboot fixed the problem. The second time it did not, so I toggled the logging and syslog service options via the web page and logging came back.

Again, this is by far the best build I've tried. Thanks for the hard work.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:

i think more routers old & new should be on a newer kernel even newer than 3.10, more like 3.14..like wndr3700v1 was on 3.5 for a long time & is only now on 3.10 cause some users asked for it so it had enough space in flash for it all along..& if any other units have no flash space left they can always remove some less used features or broken features to gain some space..i remember when the dev team stated years ago that they will be always staying on the newest kernels, apparently that didnt stay..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree. It should be like before. Every unit on the same kernel. Routers with more flash+RAM, more options and routers with less flash+RAM less options.
Simple as that:) You have situation, now, that different kernels have different iptables modules and other modules such as xt_nDpi...
So wiki works for someone and for someone not. QoS works for kernel 3.10 > because of xt_nDpi, and on 3.5 works occasionally because l7 filters are outdated...
It is well known that ath9k had lot of changes for some wifi chips on 3.10... etc, etc...
I think that ddwrt has more cheap-lowcost-router users, than AC-standard users so users with cheap routers should have 3.14 kernel at least...
of course, thats only my opinion...
earthmind
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree. This should be easier to maintain, too
Hexxer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kuruczfarm

not sure what you need or expect from OpenWRT. Im a user who need a router. Behind that is anas, a printer, 2 computer, TV.....Handys.....the router live is to route. Nothing else. No NAS, No sharing, No whatever

Some parts of DD WRT are not so good as in OpenWRT. Espacialy to cron daily reboots (or every 2 days and so on). My privat biggest missing feature is to turn of wifi by night. I dont need it if we are sleeping. With OpenWRT it was easy like a charme.

If you lost OpenWRT and you press "reset" (whataver) and luci is gone? You are screwed up. I lost my internet, not sure why. Direct attached on the cablemodem everything was OK. Router blocked all traffic or misconfigured all machines behind him. Reset? Great idea if you have no "luci". Flashback to Stock? Brick...trash.
veritas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:50    Post subject: E4200 - 3TB NAS (NTFS)? Possible? Reply with quote
Hi folks,

I've searched around all evening, and can't quite figure out whether or not it is possible to get a 3TB NTFS-formatted drive hooked up as NAS through my e4200.

Certain posts seem to suggest I might be able to, if only I could use a big build - (currently am on mega k3x 24461). Because the "big" build is 20+MB, I do not think I can flash it on my e4200 (which seems to have a max flash size of 16MB).

I wouldn't be opposed to changing file formats on the drive, though if I have to, I would hope to do it non-destructively, because I do not have another drive of that size to move everything onto while I format it. Can't seem to do a non-destructive format of a 3TB drive to fat32 (not even entirely clear I can get a fat32 to be more than 2TB).

Help?

Appreciated.

Thanks,

Veritas
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is the atheros forum not broadcom

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

veritas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
this is the atheros forum not broadcom

fair point - thanks! reposted in the other form. leaving here just in case anyone knows.
paryav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04    Post subject: codepage error Reply with quote
TP-LINK TL-TR842ND.
USB Storage problem:

Fat32 formatted flash can't mount with codepage 437 not found error
NTFS formatted flash can read and write only ansi coded files, dosn't read or write nationaly named files.

It's need to correct in next release.
buellkalle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 17:02    Post subject: WRT54GL 1.1 Reply with quote
Router Model: WRT54GL 1.1
Reset: 30-30-30 before and after
Errors: none so far
File: dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin (before: dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin)

Thanks to all devs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 25 of 27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: