[Tutorial] How to setup a NordVPN OpenVPN client with dd-wrt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 13:11    Post subject: Re: same issue Reply with quote
cofiwinx83 wrote:
there are loads of VPN's, not sure of the amount of UK servers each, but here is a link, just check them one by one to see how good they are/not.

https://best.offers.com/best-vpn-services-uk?path=zbe-37894-cog-100p1a&adposition=1t2&creative=218776922091&device=c&network=g&source=s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1YeQ09L31gIVi7YYCh2yQQ2NEAAYAiAAEgL2-PD_BwE

Thanks for the VPN provider list.
I did go through them all in fine detail before I bought the VPN router and did come up with a shortlist. It was the person who sold me the VPN router who suggested NordVPN (which was on my shortlist - but not at the top).
I'm going to sign off now and wait 12 hours for a reply from the NOrdVPV helpline.
Maybe hear from you bit later this evening ......
Sponsor
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
A slight update.
Nothing from the NordVPN help line ...... Still waiting for an e-mail reply.

But .... I am able to stream through the Roku box now. although still no BBC iPlayer.
If I then change to my UK BT router, I have BBC iPlayer immediately, therefore the NordVPN UK server No. 132 is still being blocked.
This means that I'm still no further forward than I was 10 days ago!!!

I don't know how to check, but I'm wondering how to see if the VPN router is channeling through OpenVPN, or just VPN?
Is there a way to 'force' it to channel through OpenVPN and then confirm it is doing that?

All I know is that there's still no connection confirmation or other details in the 'Status - Openvpn' dialog box.
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
wajirah wrote:
@sploit I can understand your frustration. However I managed to get a good 3 year deal from nordvpn, and I don't mind tinkering with the router.

I am running the build 33375 (19 Sep 2017) and followed @usershmusername advice. For days my VPN connection is solid and there were no dropouts.

========================================================
My advice to newbies like me is to follow the tutorial in the nordvpn website;
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/dd-wrt/openvpn-gui/

BUT replace their additional settings with:

tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu-extra 32
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 60
ping-restart 120
reneg-sec 0

========================================================

Happy tinkering!

Wajirah ....

With the above text, did you manage to run openvpn, or just vpn?
Also, have you tried to stream BBC iPlayer?
If so, what were your results?
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've now been informed that everything looks to be fine and that my VPN router is compatible with Openvpn, even though I still can't access BBC iPlayer via my Roku 3 streamimg box!!
And ...... there's still no dialog in the 'DD-WRT -Status - Openvpn box.

I was than asked to change to NordVPN UK server No.100, as there may have been a problem with UK server No.132 (which I selected, as it was a relatively high number and not much usage).
UK server No.100 ..........As expected ........Nothing.

I'm now at a point where I'm ready to jump the NordVPN ship and see who else might me better suited.
I sent these 4 questions to the NordVPN e-mail helpline this morning and will have to wait until this evening for a reply!

1) Can you please confirm 100% that Openvpn is working as it should do on my VPN router?
2) If it is, why am I not seeing any data, or connection confirmation in the DD-WRT - Status - OpenVPN dialog box?
3) If all else fails, are you able to offer me a dedicated UK based VPN IP address, as per the competitor VPN provider PureVPN is able to do?
4) If you can, what would the monthly cost be?
jea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Newby here, Just configured nordvpn to dd wrt. Had the same problems of not connecting that many others have.
What I did: Do everything Nord says to do here:
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/dd-wrt/openvpn-gui/
I would suggest saving your configuration, restore defaults and start fresh. That way if you changed something somewhere
its back to original.
Differences from Nord:
Start-Basic Setup-Start IP Address I have 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.2.1
Services-VPV-OpenVPN Server/Daemon
OpenVPN Enable
Start Type Wan Up
Config as Daemon
Not sure if these helped or not.
Services-VPV-OpenVPN Client
ServerIP/Name-I used the IP address and not the name
LZO Compression I used Yes and not adaptive
For the TLS cert. I used the UDP file and only copy/pasted the -----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1---
to the -----END OpenVPN Static key V1----- parts of the file.
With the CA.crt I copied everything
Save-Apply Settings. I thing I rebooted also.
In sylog I got a Handshake conpleted.
Go to a site that checks your ip and see if it is working.
If it is save your config.
I am using r33492 on a WRT3200ACM
Good luck

John
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks John, I'll give it a try and report back how I get on .........

I'm now on e-mail number 31 to and from the technical assistance in Australia (head office) to try and resolve the Status > Openvpn Client "Connected Success" communication. Or more to the point; lack of Mad
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
No luck at all with the settings John.
Still battling on though ..........

** One question please ...... The tls file UDP
Where did you source the UDP file from?
The only tls files I can find are OPVN
Downloaded via Nordvppn downloads DD-WRT
jea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony, I downloaded the zip files from Nord. I had two files. One titled CA and TLS auth certs and the other config. I unzipped these in separate folders. The ca cert I opened with notepad++. Copy and pasted the correct file for the server I wanted to use. In the config file there are two files for each server. One is .tcp and the other is .udp. I opened the .udp file in notepad and just copied the parts from and including-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1----- to -----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----
Pasted in the services-VPN-TLS auth key space.
Save-apply settings.

Try that and see if it works.
I downloaded the app from Nord and tried several servers to make sure I could connect and weren't too slow. You may want to make sure the server you are trying to connect to is OK.

Regards,
John
jea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm. I just compared the tls file and the portion of OVPN file that I used on a site that compares them and found no differences. So I am at a loss as to why my method worked and just copying the tls file didn't.

john
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Windows notepad sometimes appends linefeed characters. Use notepad++
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
jea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks! Did not know that

Regards
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the information John,

I [stupidly] just took both tls and ca files from the TLS and CA certs download, as it seemed logical to do that one operation.

Anyway, I did what you suggested and copied the correct portion of the udp file into the tls key space.

It's made no difference at all.
I can stream ITV, TVPlayer, Channel 4, Channel 5 all OK, it's just BBC iPlayer that won't stream.
I'm convinced that it's something to do with my WW-WRT firmware set-up that's causing me the grief.
Tony S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just copied and pasted the tls & ca files, using Notepad++ and unfortunately, it's made no difference at all.
ITV, Channels 4 & 5 and TVPlayer all OK, except for BBC iPlayer, which is still blocked. Crying or Very sad
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well your OpenVPN connnection is working otherwise you would not see ITV etc.
So you do not have a certificate problem otherwise you would not have a connection at all

BBC block's a lot of VPN servers, since mid August all Private internet Access servers are blocked by the BBC (not by ITV etc.)and I heard also IPVanish is blocked.
So maybe the BBC block's your server also. Just try a different server

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony S wrote:
I've just copied and pasted the tls & ca files, using Notepad++ and unfortunately, it's made no difference at all.
ITV, Channels 4 & 5 and TVPlayer all OK, except for BBC iPlayer, which is still blocked. Crying or Very sad

Can you get to bbc.co.uk?
Or does it revert to bbc.com?

If you can only get to bbc.com then your vpn has been blocked by the bbc.

ISP: Virgin Media 350/35 Mbps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: