Netgear R8000

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
radiocooke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did erase nvram && reboot then rebuilt a completely new config from scratch, I currently have it running stable for about a week for now. I only have the 2.4GHz radio enabled for now, I am testing to see if having the 5GHz radios enabled cause the reboots, the only other thing I had in my old config that I turned off in this config is dnsmasq I used to need it, now I don't. Pretty much everything else is at the defaults. I'll enable the 5GHz radios in a couple days, hopefully the reboots won't come back.
Sponsor
buffpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kong for making my router so much more useful!

I'm still working out my configuration for it but I have a question about privoxy:

I'm using privoxy in transparent mode and I have a few devices that I need to exclude. The text box in DD-WRT only has enough space to exclude a single IP address. Is there a way to exclude multiple IP addresses or maybe a range of IP addresses?
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
you should be able to list multiple by putting a "," between them I.E. 192.168.1.1/24, 192.168.1.34/24, 192.168.1.45
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
cdmarshall wrote:
you should be able to list multiple by putting a "," between them I.E. 192.168.1.1/24, 192.168.1.34/24, 192.168.1.45

Thanks for the advice. I tried it, but the box still won't let me type in another address. It's like the box has a 15 character limit. I also tried different web browsers as well (just in case) but all browsers I tried wouldn't let me add another address.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are correct it will not let you put more in. You may have to look at the customer config section to add that.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some searching and thinking it through and it looks like if you add a firewall rule to bypass privoxy you should be able to exclude certain Pc's

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s 192.168.x.x -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 23:52    Post subject: Re: R8000 does not come to life after sudden power blackout Reply with quote
Had similar issues with my iMac and manual IP via ethernet. Router would become unresponsive until reboot.

Overall I had stability issues and flashed back to the net gear firmware. Will wait until things are further along here.

I tried all manner of 5g radio settings and couldn't come close to the factory firmware throughput either. Shame because I really want the openVPN client.

gennadiv wrote:
Hi Kong, et al,

Recently I had a number of power glitches in our are when power suddenly went down. The sad thing is that router, loaded with the latest release, didn't come back to life after power was restored. Not just wireless, but also wired clients showed no connectivity with router.
The workaround was to reboot router again - everything came back to normal
When I checked messages log- date was corrupted showing me Jan 1 and Dec 31... with no indication of reboot.
To summarize - due to the number of time when power went down - each time it happened, I had manually reboot the router.
Anybody else experienced same issue?

Another observation:

1. I'm using Macbook Pro which was already connected and got DHCP IP - 192.168.1.148
2. In router configurations I wanted to reserve IP 192.168.1.20 for my laptop, so I added an entry under Services against Macbook MAC
3. I went to Status/LAN and tried to deleted already assigned IP 192.168.1.148. At the beginning I couldn't delete it. So I rebooted router and then after few attempts I deleted it.
4. So here is a problem:
a. Macbook refused to accept reserved IP ( i renewed and rebooted laptop quite few times
b. Now wireless took very long time to get connected after sleep, which never happened before.
So the solution was to go and remove reserved DHCP entry from the router and then to check if there is no entry under router's /etc/hosts. Once removed - laptop wireless connected right away after sleep
I might not properly configured Static DHCP so your suggestions are welcome

Thanks
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:00    Post subject: Stuck on login page on R8000 after stock firmware update Reply with quote
Just bought a new R8000 for my main router.
I installed Kong's firmware from March 7th and after nvram erase and reset, not able to setup 5G AC wireless repeater bridge mode successfully.
I wanted to use one 5G wlan as AP and another as wireless repeater bridge.

Every time I update the wireless page, the router became unresponsive. Only rebooting helped to login to the router but still any updates froze the router.

I tried to update the router with the stock firmware to resolve the issues.
But now I'm stuck on the R8000 stock firmware login page and no password is working tried all the known and default passwords but no go.

Any help deeply appreciated.
Thanks

Edit Update: Recovered the router using serial cable.
I think the setting the router's 5GHz wlan to repeater bridge mode bricked the router.
Went back to Stock firmware for now.

Last edited by labo on Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:11; edited 1 time in total
gennadiv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:47    Post subject: R8000 Latest Kong Firmware Reply with quote
Hi All,

Anyone knows what is the latest R8000 Kong firmware release version?
The one I've loaded on the router dates by March 7, 2015.
Could anyone reply with the URL to the repository I can find R8000 releases from Kong?

Thanks a lot,
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:45    Post subject: Re: R8000 Latest Kong Firmware Reply with quote
That is the latest for the R8000.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/

gennadiv wrote:
Hi All,

Could anyone reply with the URL to the repository I can find R8000 releases from Kong?

Thanks a lot,

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 14:15    Post subject: Re: R8000 Latest Kong Firmware Reply with quote
gennadiv wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks a lot,

March, 7th is the latest. Unfortunately this build has many issues still.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 15:10    Post subject: Re: Stuck on login page on R8000 after stock firmware update Reply with quote
labo wrote:
I installed Kong's firmware from March 7th and after nvram erase and reset, not able to setup 5G AC wireless repeater bridge mode successfully.

Every time I update the wireless page, the router became unresponsive. Only rebooting helped to login to the router but still any updates froze the router.

But now I'm stuck on the R8000 stock firmware login page and no password is working tried all the known and default passwords but no go.

Thanks

I think the setting the router's 5GHz wlan to repeater bridge mode bricked the router.

There is a reset button on the back, press it while you have netgear firmware running at it will reset and you can login via default pass again.

Repeater bridge is not working in certain combinations, This bugs affects all broadcom K3 builds and is not fixable by me, since I don't have access to the driver, the usual workaround is to use startup commands to run wlconf for the physical interface that has the problem.

Setting up repeater bridge does not brick it, but if you misconfigure it you might not be able to connect to it with the same IP etc.

I have tested repeater bridge and it worked in my setup, but as I said, depending how you bridge and what VAPs you setup the radio will not be able to auth to the main AP or you cannot auth with the client to the VAP.
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 16:34    Post subject: Re: Stuck on login page on R8000 after stock firmware update Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
labo wrote:

Thanks

There is a reset button on the back, press it while you have netgear firmware running at it will reset and you can login via default pass again.

Repeater bridge is not working in certain combinations, This bugs affects all broadcom K3 builds and is not fixable by me, since I don't have access to the driver, the usual workaround is to use startup commands to run wlconf for the physical interface that has the problem.

Setting up repeater bridge does not brick it, but if you misconfigure it you might not be able to connect to it with the same IP etc.

I have tested repeater bridge and it worked in my setup, but as I said, depending how you bridge and what VAPs you setup the radio will not be able to auth to the main AP or you cannot auth with the client to the VAP.

Kong, Thanks for the reply.
When I said bricked, I meant the router was totally unusable. The router was stuck on login mode, where I was not able to use default username password combo
to login. The reset button at the back of the router didn't do anything even with 30-30-30 reset.
The only way I got the router back was by restoring the stock firmware using serial cable.
Now that I have the serial cable, I can retry your firmware and see if it works.
m4f1050
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 17:55    Post subject: Re: OpenVPN Reply with quote
m4f1050 wrote:
m4f1050 wrote:
Is OpenVPN something not working on K3? I cann't seem to be able to connect. I set it u0 exactly as how I had my R7000....

So nobody uses OpenVPN ? WOW....

BUMP!

OpenVPN Server not working, not responding to clients.
buffpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got OpenVPN to work on my R8000 using DD-WRT somewhat. I could connect and log into my router and local network, but just couldn't get my gateway redirected to my R8000. I used the exact same configuration I had on my WNDR3700 and wasn't sure why it didn't work the same.

Either way, like others have posted previously, I started to get wifi drops and unresponsiveness from my router requiring frequent rebooting of router. I also noticed computers plugged into Ethernet would lose internet connectivity as well (so it wasn't just a wifi issue).

In the end I went back to stock and got everything set up. OpenVPN on stock firmware wasn't too difficult to set up - it actually creates all the configuration files you need automatically which is cool. You may want to revert to stock and use their OpenVPN configuration for the time being.

I think dd-wrt will be awesome on this router, but perhaps it might need a few more bug fixes/updates before it's ready for primetime.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 16 of 23
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: