Memory Usage Too High - Router Slows Down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Purloi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 18:45    Post subject: Memory Usage Too High - Router Slows Down Reply with quote
Using a Buffalo WZR600DHP using a BrainSlayer V24 23720. I've Disabled DNSMasq for DNS and DHCP to try and reduce memory usage. It is the DHCP server for the LAN and WiFi. Wifi is running G only. The second radio is disabled. The only services it is running is the USB (FTP and Samba). I need both of these running. After a reboot, it takes about 24 hours to hit 95% memory usage, and after about 3 days it runs so slow I have to reboot the router. Any Ideas? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Purloi on Wed May 28, 2014 19:37; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
& the build youre running is...

transferring stuff through the usb port thats probably it, i gave up on that a while ago when i had the same issue just in about 40 seconds instead of a day

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Purloi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
... Running Build 23720 oops!
Purloi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

transferring stuff through the usb port thats probably it, i gave up on that a while ago when i had the same issue just in about 40 seconds instead of a day

Yep, looks like you are correct. I FTP'd a couple files, and shot straight up to 95% memory usage.

So I guess my problem now is, how can I flush that. Say every night at 3am? Besides a timer to kill power every night at 3am, which I am going to do if there is not way to do it in software.
bvideo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 23919. A vfat thumb drive is mounted in the services->USB page. Get a shell through ssh and create a large file in the mounted folder. Quickly see how "cached" sucks up all the RAM. This doesn't prevent creating more thumb drive files, though. And since it's just a cache of what's on the thumb, not sure why this would slow the router down. Can it not expel some cache when it needs ram for something else?

On the other hand, if an ftp user logs in and does not cd to one of its configured shares on the services->NAS page, then puts a file, where is that file stored? Not on the thumb drive. If that goes to RAM, it is not a cache and cannot be expelled.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same situation using DD-WRT v24-sp2 kongac (c) 2014 NewMedia-NET GmbH Release: 06/13/14 (SVN revision: 24345M). I really don't like the new approach for default parent ftp folder storing the files in RAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: