Using DD-WRT To Repeat XfinityWifi Signal?

snlich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 17:25    Post subject: Using DD-WRT To Repeat XfinityWifi Signal? Reply with quote
Hey everyone... so this situation is this: I have a second house which has access to an Xfinitywifi hotspot. I've seen a few different methods of repeating this signal, and I used this guide...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=175024&sid=1f2af7ba262fa48c58e27dbfae6eb01e

So my idea seems possible. However other research has labeled this idea as crazy.

The issue with the above method is it has no mention of the log in process. Comcast makes you log in via a web portal after connecting with your username/password.

The workaround for this I figured was cloning the mac address of a device already logged in... but using the Clone mac address feature in DD-WRT doesn't seem to want to work.

I HAVE gotten it to connect one or twice, and I've gotten to the Comcast log in page, but at that point I just get connection errors and problems.

Is there something I'm missing from the guide? Is it really just not possible? I thought it was too good to be true, but hoping someone can shed some light on my problem.
Sponsor
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my experience, if you use the cloned MAC approach, the device from which you obtained the MAC address to be cloned can no longer be used via the router OR the hotspot. This holds true until so long as the router is connected to the hotspot with the cloned MAC.

1. What happens if you don't clone the WAN's MAC? Can you access the web portal page (It may not come up automatically like normal and you might have to enter it directly.)
2. Do you have good signal where the router is plugged in?
3. Which mode are you using: Repeater, Repeater Bridge, or something else?
4. Which router are you using?
5. What build of DD-WRT are you using?

I've had the best luck using a dual band router with one radio set as "client" and used to connect to the hotspot. The other radio gets set as "AP" and performs the normal access point functions.

Keep in mind, depending on the sophistication the Xfinity captive portal, this method of connection can become difficult to impossible to set up for practical use.
847AV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 22:06    Post subject: Did you guys figure it out? Reply with quote
I was doing some research and I found this.

https://richdunajewski.com/connect-router-to-xfinity-wifi/

This cat says the DNS. needs to be set to 75...?

Networking is not my specialty so if you guys make it work can you PM me and help me out,,, I pay for the service.... My shop is in a metal building so im ass out of the Xfinity hotspot thats in my area, so im bringing it into a router with an antenna mounted on the outside....

Please help... my head hurts... lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: