Kong R7000 Configuration Best Practices or Working Solutions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
After setting the clock freq to 1000,800 did you then save the nvram?
You did not mention writing the setting to memory.
These are the recommended commands I have in the FAQ sticky.
Over Clock router cpu (thanks to Magnetron1.1)
nvram get clkfreq (get current clock rate)
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 (OC cpu/ram stock)
nvram commit && reboot (write change & reboot)
giuliomagnifico wrote:
using the terminal (nvram set clkfreq=1000,800) works but every reboot it has again the clock at 1200mhz Confused

There's a way to set the default clock without erase nvram? Thanks!

Oh sorry I forgot the commit command, now it works, thanks!
Sponsor
vaevictis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 19:58    Post subject: Reset to factory defaults after applying changes? Reply with quote
I have stumbled upon a very frustrating bug, almost all of the time when the router reboots the settings are reverted to factory defaults.

I'm using the R7000 and reset to factory defaults before flashing the latest firmware.

DD-WRT v3.0-r30870M kongac (11/10/16)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.30 #142 SMP Thu Nov 10 00:04:51 CET 2016 armv7l

Is this a known error?

TIA.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like user error.
I've not heard anyone else express the same issue.
Not able to save would be a huge issue for everyone.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
vaevictis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
It sounds like user error.
I've not heard anyone else express the same issue.
Not able to save would be a huge issue for everyone.

I hope so. But all I do is apply settings -> Reboot router and it resets to defaults. This happens almost every time a reboot is issued. Having this bug since 6 months and updated almost monthly to the latest version (with erase nvram).
tcrimsonk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
vaevictis wrote:
I hope so. But all I do is apply settings -> Reboot router and it resets to defaults. This happens almost every time a reboot is issued. Having this bug since 6 months and updated almost monthly to the latest version (with erase nvram).

I haven't experienced this myself, but I've seen threads of others with similar issues that turned out to be browser-specific. Maybe try a different browser.

Have you tried pressing Save before Apply Settings?
gw2011gw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/13/14) kongac
(SVN revision 24345M) for the last 2 years +, very happy with it as it works with a few older tablets (this version has the older stable wireless drivers), tried newer versions but the older tablets just ground to a halt.

Starting late 2015, I experienced the same issue with system reset to factory default every time I reboot, no matter it is a hard reboot (power cycle router) or soft reboot from a browser. I tried everything short of reverting to stock firmware from Netgear. I put up with it because the version runs so well and all I need to do is to reset password and then restore the latest save config but it is still really frustrating.

Also, after days of running, the system will show no connection info on Status/WAN, wireless or LAN

I am not entirely convince it is a browser related issue otherwise if I power cycle the router, the issue should not happen.

Anyone help would be much appreciated, I am willing to try help resolve this issue.

tcrimsonk: you mentioned others had discussed this before, can you point me to the discussions please.

Thanks
chchia
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
gw2011gw wrote:
(SVN revision 24345M) for the last 2 years +, very happy with it as it works with a few older tablets (this version has the older stable wireless drivers), tried newer versions but the older tablets just ground to a halt.

Starting late 2015, I experienced the same issue with system reset to factory default every time I reboot, no matter it is a hard reboot (power cycle router) or soft reboot from a browser. I tried everything short of reverting to stock firmware from Netgear. I put up with it because the version runs so well and all I need to do is to reset password and then restore the latest save config but it is still really frustrating.

Also, after days of running, the system will show no connection info on Status/WAN, wireless or LAN

I am not entirely convince it is a browser related issue otherwise if I power cycle the router, the issue should not happen.

Anyone help would be much appreciated, I am willing to try help resolve this issue.

tcrimsonk: you mentioned others had discussed this before, can you point me to the discussions please.

Thanks

why dont you try to enter all config manually and not using any saved config?
Barfoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:41    Post subject: Reboot resets to factory defaults Reply with quote
I had this same issue as well. I thought it might be a hardware fault. However, I restored to stock firmware and restarted from scratch. A few important notes:

1) never restore config after flashing. Manually enter all settings.
2) proceed slowly after each step. Leave it alone for a bit after each reboot in the process so all tables etc can build and not get corrupted by a reboot.
3) reset to factory defaults after each firmware flash. Do this via telnet rather than the web GUI.
4) save Nvram after you are on the firmware you want to run but before you apply any of your settings. This way you have a restore point if you need to change anything or need to test new settings that may have caused issues.

I'm currently running version 29300 but considering upgrading to a newer build.

Last edited by Barfoot on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07; edited 1 time in total
Barfoot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:07    Post subject: R7000 Firmware flash instructions Reply with quote
This is a compilation from various posts here and has worked well for me. Thanks to all contributors:

The 30-30-30 reset method works on the most routers out there but not on the R7000...

KONG STABLE DDWRT versions: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG BETA DDWRT versions: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas
***CHK IS THE INITIAL FIRMWARE TO GO FROM STOCK NETGEAR TO DDWRT***
***BIN IS THE CURRENT FLASH VERSION. Use dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin for R7000*** NOTE: there are now specific builds for r7000. Use those instead...
***Warning, always clear browser cache before flashing.***
***Always choose to reset to factory when flashing***
***Never restore an NVRAM config from another version of DDWRT***

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stock to DD-WRT initial firmware

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
Hold down Reset for 5 to max 8 seconds ! **
connect to 192.168.1.1
clear browser cache
flash the DDWRT initial FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DDWRT initial to DD-WRT latest build firmware

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
clear browser cache
flash the DDWRT latest build FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"

DD-WRT FW to initial Stockfirmware:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
clear browser cache
flash the initial Stockfirmware via the Administration Tab (if the upgrade fails with site not available, try another browser like Firefox, chrome, safari)
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

** After every reset, the first login screen on StockFW should show something like "refreshing settings or loading settings"

Now its like Out of the Box.

The correct way to reset your R7000 to the Out of the Box State (from stock netgear firmware) is...

Download the initial Release from Netgear R7000 Support HP http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000(Firmware Version 1.0.0.96)

Reset and flash back from any Stockfirmware to initial Stockfirmware:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
clear browser cache
flash the initial FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

** After every reset, the first login screen on StockFW should show something like "refreshing settings or loading settings"

Now its like Out of the Box.�

Last edited by Barfoot on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06; edited 1 time in total
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:15    Post subject: Re: R7000 Firmware flash instructions Reply with quote
Barfoot wrote:
This is a compilation from various posts here and has worked well for me. Thanks to all contributors:

The 30-30-30 reset method works on the most routers out there but not on the R7000...

KONG STABLE DDWRT versions: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG BETA DDWRT versions: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas
***CHK IS THE INITIAL FIRMWARE TO GO FROM STOCK NETGEAR TO DDWRT***
***BIN IS THE CURRENT FLASH VERSION. Use dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin for R7000***
***Warning, always clear browser cache before flashing.***
***Always choose to reset to factory when flashing***
***Never restore an NVRAM config from another version of

Actually there is a lot of misinformation in your post, don't know why you want to reinvent the wheel when all the info is already on the forum.
First thing, read the first post (I bet you haven't been there), it says 30-30-30 is useless on ARM units.
Second there is no Kong stable or beta. All are betas.
Third the link you gave for "Kong beta" are not Kong's only, they're developed by Brainslayer and Kong, but BS is sort of a lead on that development branch.
Fourth CHK is the same as the BIN but with the header identifying the router, needed by stock firmware to identify the file as a firmware file.
Everything else you added can be done that way but not necessarily though, so it's redundant info.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
pbernd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
cardinalsp wrote:
Run this from the command line to disable the 4 LAN lights.
et robowr 0x0 0x18 0x1ff
et robowr 0x0 0x18 0x0
et robowr 0x0 0x1a 0x0

Has anyone figured out how to disable the LAN lights? This doesn't work of course.

On my R700 with the latest Kong firmware (31205M) all LEDs switch off beside the LAN1 LED with this command. Any idea what's wrong?
gw2011gw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
chchia wrote:
gw2011gw wrote:

Thanks

Just want to report back and close this thread. Did what chchia & barfoot suggested, factory reset the router using the reset button, re-enter all settings manually, the router now keeps it's configuration and reboot (soft and hard) properly without resetting back to factory default.

Unfortunately, that means one cannot save configuration and restore later, my configuration is pretty simple so not a big issue but it maybe a pain if you have complex configuration.

Thanks for your help.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
gw2011gw wrote:
chchia wrote:
gw2011gw wrote:

Thanks

Just want to report back and close this thread. Did what chchia & barfoot suggested, factory reset the router using the reset button, re-enter all settings manually, the router now keeps it's configuration and reboot (soft and hard) properly without resetting back to factory default.

Unfortunately, that means one cannot save configuration and restore later, my configuration is pretty simple so not a big issue but it maybe a pain if you have complex configuration.

Thanks for your help.

Probably that was your particular case or your router was in a special state were that was happening but I have restored from a file dozens of times. It's completely normal. Even though it's not advised to do so when you are jumping many builds.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
phinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running the latest stock Netgear firmwares for 6+ months after having problems with DD-WRT USB storage. Ready to try Kong's DD-WRT again. Question

I'm not seeing a default flash firmware on his FTP. Do we still need the default flash or can we just wipe nvram and flash:
"http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk"

Thanks!
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
phinn wrote:
I've been running the latest stock Netgear firmwares for 6+ months after having problems with DD-WRT USB storage. Ready to try Kong's DD-WRT again. Question

I'm not seeing a default flash firmware on his FTP. Do we still need the default flash or can we just wipe nvram and flash:
"http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk"

Thanks!

Restore to def, flash that file and then erase nvram

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 12
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: