R7000 random reboots on later builds w/new WiFi driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

When you use a build with new drivers, do you get random reboots?
Yes, frequent reboots
68%
 68%  [ 68 ]
Yes, but very rare
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 100

mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 22:41    Post subject: R7000 random reboots on later builds w/new WiFi driver Reply with quote
Looks like the old thread is defunct and we now have to post specific issues. Sounds like a hassle to me, but whatever...

So I figured I'd open one for the random reboots that some of us experience on builds after 24345 that had a version for old drivers. Builds after that have the new driver only, which many of us can't use.

For those who do have the random reboot issues with the new driver, I'm hoping this thread will be updated whenever a build is made that would warrant a retest.

In other words, which builds warrant us retesting to see if we still get random reboots?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mchaney on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
haggismn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about making this thread into a poll, to see how widespread the reboot issue is?

This week I will receive a 2nd R7000. I will be able to leave it running with a serial cable attached, so hopefully there is something useful output before the reboot issue occurs.
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I added the poll. FWIW I agree... I think there should be one thread for R7000 Kong Builds. We were all following that other thread with zero problems. Now with stuff scattered all over the place, you really have to search around to find if/what the issues are on the latest build(s).

Mike
hurleyp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been up and running with build 24500M for over 11 days without an unexpected reboot.

On the wireless side, I have wl0 running G-only with auto channel selection. wl1 is N-only (5Ghz), channel 149, VHT, lower/lower. Both radios are AP mode with SSID broadcast, the Regulatory Domain is Canada, and security mode is WPA2 Personal/AES. I don't do any MAC filtering, and the rest of the wireless settings are default. I have a clone WAN MAC, but not the wireless MAC.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if there is a poll needed for the wifi crash, we know that the latest wifi driver we have still causes a reboot under certain circumstances.

I know this problem has been fixed in newer broadcom drivers.

Since we are currently implementing a few more things that affect stability the wifi issue is not high prio to me. I don't recommend the latest builds anyways unless you really want to test my ipv6 changes and hw accel.

There are no security issues that would require a firmware update. That's also the reason why I don't update the regular K3 builds at the moment.

BrainSlayer tries to get an update from broadcom not just for the crash fix but also for me so I can add support for the R8000. I already implemented most of the R8000 stuff, once we get the new driver I can finish it.

If things are working out, then we will soon have the best dd-wrt ever, including long outstanding improved IPV6 support + HW acceleration.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
FWIW I agree... I think there should be one thread for R7000 Kong Builds. We were all following that other thread with zero problems. Now with stuff scattered all over the place, you really have to search around to find if/what the issues are on the latest build(s).

Mike

Then start a new general thread about the router. I don't understand why people feel that re-starting a thread is somehow a hassle. There is no way a 200+ page thread is useful. No one reads it. Everyone just tacks their specific issue on the end of it anyway. And the thread is still there for reference. Start a new thread, and post a link to the old one in the first post. If you really want to be useful, go through the old 200+ page thread, and summarize the findings in the new thread. We have done this often for other routers. See the rt-n16 condensed thread for example.

I have stated this repeatedly, and no one seems to want to put that much effort into it, but several want to complain and whine.... Confused

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Not sure if there is a poll needed for the wifi crash, we know that the latest wifi driver we have still causes a reboot under certain circumstances.

I know this problem has been fixed in newer broadcom drivers.

Since we are currently implementing a few more things that affect stability the wifi issue is not high prio to me. I don't recommend the latest builds anyways unless you really want to test my ipv6 changes and hw accel.

There are no security issues that would require a firmware update. That's also the reason why I don't update the regular K3 builds at the moment.

BrainSlayer tries to get an update from broadcom not just for the crash fix but also for me so I can add support for the R8000. I already implemented most of the R8000 stuff, once we get the new driver I can finish it.

If things are working out, then we will soon have the best dd-wrt ever, including long outstanding improved IPV6 support + HW acceleration.

Yes, if I weren't going away for 3 weeks vacation, I'd be playing with the new IPv6 stuff. Instead, I've just installed the most stable dd-wrt version I know of, and have added a guest network (for the house-sitters *smile*). Anticipating getting back and hopefully spending some time checking out the IPv6 work on Comcast here.

Can't do much with the HW acceleration, though, except to verify that it doesn't break things for those of us in the slow lane *smile*.
mchaney
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Then start a new general thread about the router. I don't understand why people feel that re-starting a thread is somehow a hassle. There is no way a 200+ page thread is useful. No one reads it. Everyone just tacks their specific issue on the end of it anyway. And the thread is still there for reference. Start a new thread, and post a link to the old one in the first post. If you really want to be useful, go through the old 200+ page thread, and summarize the findings in the new thread. We have done this often for other routers. See the rt-n16 condensed thread for example.

I have stated this repeatedly, and no one seems to want to put that much effort into it, but several want to complain and whine.... Confused

Because in the last post of the other thread, you said:

"I am locking this thread. It is way too long to be readable. Please start new threads to discuss specifics or general info on this router."

That sounded like to me you wanted separate threads for different issues and/or one for "general info". Else what's the point? You closed one massive thread so we can build another massive one?

Sorry. Everything before was in one place and everyone knows to go to the last few pages if you want recent issues or comments. Would have made more sense to open another thread with a similar subject and close the old one with a link in the OLD thread to the new one! That seems like your job, not mine. You're the one who closed the old one. Not me.

Mike
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
mchaney wrote:
That seems like your job, not mine. You're the one who closed the old one. Not me.

Mike

Then quit complaining. It is as much your job as mine. I don't work here any more than you do. If you are not prepared to put the least bit of effort into an appropriate resolution, than don't expect others to do so for you.

Murrkf wrote:
no one seems to want to put that much effort into it, but several want to complain and whine.... Confused

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
jsmiddleton4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is not a hassle to start a new thread. It however was nice to have one thread devoted to one router and everything was in one place.

Why you close the other thread is hard to understand.

Now we have a plethora of possible threads to keep an eye on.

Your call but closing the thread seemed a bit premature and heavy handed.

But we move on...

Looking forward to new release once the current testing FW hits production.

Previously:
Asus RT-N66U
Linksys E3000
Linksys WRT54GS Version 2.1
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Linksys WRT54G Version 1.1
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsmiddleton4 wrote:
It is not a hassle to start a new thread. It however was nice to have one thread devoted to one router and everything was in one place.

Why you close the other thread is hard to understand.

Now we have a plethora of possible threads to keep an eye on.

Your call but closing the thread seemed a bit premature and heavy handed.

But we move on...

Looking forward to new release once the current testing FW hits production.

Well the bugs that exist are not specific to the R7000, thus can be just reported the standard way, e.g. forum and trac.

I just enabled basic qos and I'm actually suprised that it worked right away with hw acceleration. BrainSlayer obviously did his homework:-)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I voted "no reboots" - My uptime is 8+ days.

My config:

R7000 w/24500M

Wireless (US regulatory domain):

2.4GHz on, CH 11, NG mixed
WPA2 Personal / AES
All beamforming disabled

5GHz on, CH 132, Lower/Lower, VHT, Mixed
WPA2 Personal / AES
All beamforming disabled

Connected clients: 2 iPads (4 & Mini Retina on 5GHz "N"), 1 iPhone 5 (5GHz "N"), 1 Macbook Pro (5GHz "N"), one Dell E6410 (5GHz "N"), 1 Surface Pro (5GHz "N"), 2 Roku's (2.4GHz "N") 6 Squeezebox devices (2.4GHz "G"), 1 ScanSnap iX500 (2.4GHz "N")

DDNS on ("custom", set up for freedns.afraid.org)
MiniDLNA on
USB core on
USB storage on (WD 1TB USB3.0 portable drive)

Using DNSMasq to assign static DHCP addresses.

QOS on WAN / HTB / FQ_CODEL, 1 MAC priority 128kbit up and down

Running OpenVPN Tap using startup script (work PC behind firewall connects to this router).

GPIO commands in firewall section to disable LED's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think locking the old thread was a good idea Murrkf.
You are correct.
The "+" for it was everyone put something in there & was a single/easy to find thread BUT the "-" was it was nearly impossible to search for something you saw or read about just days before.
I kid you not...There were times I had to go 50 pages or more to find something I read just days earlier.
It is NOT hard to create a new thread.
I created one to help others by using my QoS settings.
Then someone came up with a general lets sum it all up here thread.
I believe i am the only person who contributed to it.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152

I put probably 5-6 useful (IMO) items or links.
It took me less than 30 minutes.
Personally I was surprised no one else jumped in & added their items.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
I think locking the old thread was a good idea Murrkf.
You are correct.
The "+" for it was everyone put something in there & was a single/easy to find thread BUT the "-" was it was nearly impossible to search for something you saw or read about just days before.
I kid you not...There were times I had to go 50 pages or more to find something I read just days earlier.
It is NOT hard to create a new thread.
I created one to help others by using my QoS settings.
Then someone came up with a general lets sum it all up here thread.
I believe i am the only person who contributed to it.

I put probably 5-6 useful (IMO) items or links.
It took me less than 30 minutes.
Personally I was surprised no one else jumped in & added their items.

It really isn't hard to search any size thread if you use google. Certainly not the site search here. Just use the "site:http://www.dd-wrt.com/" search option, and search your heart out using the great google search tools.

Reading a thread like that from cover to cover, now that's a whole other proposition *smile*.
rawd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went almost 6 days before a reboot... went back to 24345 OLDD and its stable again.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: