Trying to use an old router to create a guest network

Charley000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 21:52    Post subject: Trying to use an old router to create a guest network Reply with quote
I have a large house which is wired mostly by Ethernet. I have a Linksys EA6200 router in the garage connected to the cable modem and a couple of old Linksys WRT54G routers scattered around to provide wireless access everywhere. I also have an old Linksys WRT160N that I want to setup as a guest network in the family room where the guests are likely to be. So I put DD-WRT on it but am having a problem configuring it to create a guest network with the properties I want. By the way, all the routers are connected by Ethernet cable.

My main network is 192.168.1.x. The main router at 192.168.1.1 provides DHCP for the network. The other routers have DHCP turned off and everything works great. They are all on the same SSID so I can easily move around.

Now I want to add the WRT160N and give it a guest SSID. That part was easy. But then I also want to have it on to be on a different virtual network (192.168.2.x), be its own DHCP server for that range and be able to let my guests get to the Internet. I was able to do that and get it working.

Here is my problem. I want to prevent the guests from being able to access anything in the 192.168.1.x network. Also, I want to be able to manage the guest router (i.e., sign into it and configure it) from a computer on the 192.168.1.x network. I haven't been able to figure out how to make that work. I can't reach the router from my computer on the 192.168.1.x network. I assume I need to do something with static routes but haven't been able to quite get it right.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-- Charley
Sponsor
Charley000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 0:05    Post subject: Found a partial solution Reply with quote
I found this post from today "Help with Static Route?!"
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268488

That helped. Now I can reach the 192.168.2.1 network from my 192.168.1.1 network to manage the router.

I can't ping it from PC -- not exactly sure why. But I can now get their via the web or via telnet.
Charley000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed it. I forgot that the default is to block anonymous requests (i.e. ping). I changed that and now ping works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: