RT-AC87U DD-WRT support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
so if i want to use DD-WRT i cant upgrade to the later versions of asus firmware? that also means i cant run merlin's latest firmware?

i shouldn't of bought this router had nothing but trouble with it. i bought it for guest wifi and out of the box vpn server and client but cant get either vpn to work on any firmware im running merlin atm but will try going back to DD-WRT failing that i will update and see how the newer ones are going.
my old buffalo was great just slow speeds. stable as all hell done vpn, couldn't do guest wifi tho
Sponsor
GDF-RT-AC87-USER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guys

recently purchased the AC87U (arriving Soon) and have been reading up on this thread (1-21 pages) and want to try DD-WRT firmware, trying to work out who of you guys have the most stable version running

whats best to try and what not to do

is it true that if the router is on the latest Asus fm I can't flash DD-WRT.

THanks
GDF-RT-AC87-USER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
RainGater wrote:
I have been on r29519 (04/25/16) for four days strong and no issues to report. Looks solid and compared to Merlin or stock, it's a blessing Smile

Thank you DD-WRT team for a wonderful firmware.

How you going, you still on r29519
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
GDF-RT-AC87-USER wrote:
RainGater wrote:
I have been on r29519 (04/25/16) for four days strong and no issues to report. Looks solid and compared to Merlin or stock, it's a blessing Smile

Thank you DD-WRT team for a wonderful firmware.

How you going, you still on r29519

long story short
DD-WRT wouldnt work for me before.
i broke the internet today updating merlin firmware cos it was having issues
so eventually got recovery mode and tried DD-WRT.
installed DD-WRT r30534

i followed this guide
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/dd-wrt-for-rt-ac87r.22421/

wiping nvram and re installing DD-WRT multiple times and now its working great been stable for half a day now got guest network setup
about to try vpn server now and do some port forwarding (2 things merlin firmware was having issues with)

just when you do something wait until the wifi light and wan light start flashing as i thought nothing was working but eventually the lights start working and i could then access the gui
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
i seem to break dhcp by adding static leases.
EDIT:
fixed... was an invalid char in a static hostname.

Last edited by b-man on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:47; edited 1 time in total
samurai123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I've one AC87U laying around and thinking of installing DD-WRT on it. I've not been following the latest updates of DD-WRT on this router. I wonder if the QT driver/firmware available with DD-WRT same as that in the stock firmware?

AAFIK this router is Wave2 router so it should support 160MHz channel ( 80+80 ) yeah?

Thanks
abyrvalg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to add some info...

I got this router and its wireless coverage is fantastic. But both stock firmware and Merlin cause random restarts every couple of hours when there is a lot of wireless traffic. So I went for dd-wrt. It works great. No restarts for days now. The only two issues that I found are:
- switching off 5GHz radio does not work from "Wireless Network Mode > Disabed". It is possible to turn it off via one method: "Radio Scheduling > Always off"
- using telnet or ssh, "wl" command cannot find interface with number 1

Soon I will need to try IPTV with dd-wrt on this router. It requires a special VLAN number. I did not check yet how I can do it, but I will report if I could do it or not.

But so far – great job, dd-wrt team!
GDF-RT-AC87-USER
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
look forward to seeing how you go on with IPTV
hairydruidy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am looking to buy a new router nowadays.
Getting rid of my stock provider modem/router because of crappy wifi and no real advanced settings whatsoever

Obviously I started looking into one of the better reviewed routers.

I came into 2 routers (performance / price)
ASUS RT-AC87U
Linksys WRT1900ACS

It seems like ASUS was the better of the two, performance wise, by a small marging, + some additional features.

What I want to know is, after reading a few posts in this topic, I'm having doubts about this ASUS.

Does DD-WRT works descent on the ASUS or not?
Does 5GHz work?

Is the firmware any better nowadays?

Or should I move over to the linksys? (Even though I would hate that look, between all my fancy black hardware ...)
dreamy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:58    Post subject: opinion Reply with quote
Very Happy hey i see that every body droping the asuswrt /merlin
for the ddwrt i am very new to this and i like all the configuration on the ddwrt but anyone try the merlinwrt unlock version hggomes with all the power options
and i try to complie new features on the merlinwrt like i so in other site to add more stuff
again no my idea buy trying to expend more feature then what i so but my big question is to stop developing on the merlin and move to ddwrt? example [img][/img]
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
The 5ghz won't work on the rt-ac87u with dd-wrt but a lot of people are happily using RMerlin in it.
The rt-ac68 is great. I'm running kongs latest on it.

im running Brainslayers r30534 and have 5ghz wifi is there something im missing?

im only having an issue with my PPTP server only lasting for a day or 2 before it becomes inaccessible other than that its all good
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
b-man wrote:
Malachi wrote:
The 5ghz won't work on the rt-ac87u with dd-wrt but a lot of people are happily using RMerlin in it.
The rt-ac68 is great. I'm running kongs latest on it.

im running Brainslayers r30534 and have 5ghz wifi is there something im missing?

im only having an issue with my PPTP server only lasting for a day or 2 before it becomes inaccessible other than that its all good

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 16:28    Post subject: Upgrading AC87U to Recent Stable Build Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 v1 to a more recent build, currently on DD-WRT 3.0 r27506. I'm hoping it resolves some random network disconnects that occur on wired and wireless every few hours.

I'm wondering what the most recent stable build would be (I see some using 30534) and how I might be able to upgrade to it? Can I simply use the GUI?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Mr10001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI found these from a previous comment:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/

Upgraded to the latest and been up for an hour so far without any issues. Very Happy
b-man
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
let me know how you go.

i think mine drops out in wifi randomly too aswell as the vpn server dropping out and becoming unresponsive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 21 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: