Access Restriction dont work on DD-WRT v24-sp2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
redridge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 15:46    Post subject: Access restrictions still not working. Reply with quote
Access restrictions still not working so I now have to use a workaround. APART FROM THAT, THE DD WRT software is working great. Simple workaround is to use OpenDNS free version which has excellent site blocking utilities which work great except they don't recognise sub pages. So for example bbc.co.uk is recognised but not bbc.co.uk/iplayer or bbc.co.uk/tv this means you cannot block Iplayer without losing access to other bbc web content. So I used the keywords function in DD WRT access blocking in conjunction with OpenDNS. By adding
/iplayer and /tv to the keyword block I was able to keep bbc.co.uk while blocking Iplayer. I then used OpenDNS for full website blocking & the combination of the 2 worked perfectly for me. Not really an answer, but may help others who find access restrictions don't work in DD WRT? No idea why the keywords function works OK but not the website URL block but as the combination now works Ok, I am happy.
Sponsor
Darknightjedi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13    Post subject: This is what fixed it for me Reply with quote
I was going thru this forum as I was resetting my wndrmac v2 and had the same problem blocking websites. Then I remembered from my last router that for some strange reason the first policy needed to be blank. It just needs to be first out of the ten available, it needs to be named, the client list needs to be populated and the days need to be specified, not just "Everyday". Make sure this "blank" policy is enabled and saved. Then go ahead and populate the rest of the policies with your specific needs...

Very Happy

Darknightjedi

Edit: also just found that the last four entries of either websites or keywords in each policy need to be blank... Odd, but it works...
any1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12    Post subject: Re: This is what fixed it for me Reply with quote
Darknightjedi wrote:
...for some strange reason the first policy needed to be blank. It just needs to be first out of the ten available, it needs to be named, the client list needs to be populated and the days need to be specified, not just "Everyday". Make sure this "blank" policy is enabled and saved. Then go ahead and populate the rest of the policies with your specific needs...

Edit: also just found that the last four entries of either websites or keywords in each policy need to be blank... Odd, but it works...

OH MY GOD THANK YOU.

I have literally tried and visited nearly a 100 links, forums, guides etc and none of them worked AND making first policy kind of blank was the ONLY one that worked. (I created a forum account specifically to answer you - thanks).

PS: I haven't tried the last 4 entry method yet.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: