DD-WRT router connecting to Hotspot with login (splash) page

Lauris.klim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:08    Post subject: DD-WRT router connecting to Hotspot with login (splash) page Reply with quote
Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to connect to hotspot with router running on DD-WRT(or maybe other WRT) when Hotspot uses login (splash) page for authentication. I do have valid username and password. Problem is that area in question have very weak signal (basically I can connect only over outdoor WiFi antenna). And that is physically possible only by PC or router, but not by phone, notebook and ect.

Best case scenario would be if it would be possible to configure WiFi router as client who would connect and log in to hotspot, then share connectivity to other router which would split it wireless and wired. Main question here is how to configure client "router" so it would recognize splash page, enter user information and share internet. All rest is basics to my knowledge.

Other possible scenario - configure router as repeater, amplifier or whatever. So all devices would connect through it to hotspot and each device individually would log in to hotspot. Since my provider allows up to 3 devices on one hotspot for same user.

Way of connecting with PC, logging in, sharing internet, then connecting router to it to share for everyone else is pretty much out of question.

If you have more possible solution to this problem please let me know.

By the way, since I'm just starting to play with WRT I don't have HW either. So far plans is to get TP-LINK TL-WR842ND due to low cost, fast WiFi and bigger flash. Question - is 8MB flash decent for DD-WRT or bigger one would be prefered, most cases what I looked all have 4MB ones.

Laurynas
Sponsor
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, you can do it. The only question is how the captive portal (aka "splash page") authenticates.

Since you don't have the hardware yet, I'd recommend getting a router with dual band radios. Set one radio to client mode that will connect to the hotspot and one in AP mode to which your clients will connect. You can do it with a router that only has a single radio in repeater mode, but you're bandwidth will be cut by 50%.

The problem you'll have is that there's a lease time on the captive portal. When it expires (often 24 hours), you'll have to reauthenticate. That's not so hard from a laptop or smartphone, but it can be with devices that have no web browser.

If the captive portal makes you download something before authenticating, it can get even more complicated.

There have been suggestions in the forum about how to get the router itself to authenticate, but they're not particularly simple and configuration for a specific hotspot can be tricky.
Lauris.klim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, for HW I believe 2 or more antennas are not the sign yet that router is dual band. Is there easy way of recognizing one or need to "google" every singe router to find one which suites? Maybe have any routers on mind for such job, as I said looking for one which can run WRT and would be considerably low cost.

For lease time I'm not so sure. Since I can connect to that network even after weeks of not using it without logging in (probably stores my MAC address somewhere). Anyway if authentication isn't very difficult to do - automatic authentication isn't very necessary, thought it would be nice feature.

For captive page - I didn't notice anything required to download when connecting, so lets consider that for this network you don't need to download anything.

Laurynas

P.S. I guess TL-WDR3500 can qualify as dual-band router. Question is dual band is 2.4 and 5 GHz or it can also go one antenna in 2.4GHz connected to Hotspot and other also in 2.4GHz as private network, without cutting bandwidth 50%?

P.P.S WR842N in support page also mentioned as WiFi b/g/n 2T2R - does this translates as 2x transceiver + 2x receiver? Or it have other meaning? And if it is as I ques - do each transceiver/receiver have possibility to work independently, as in separate channels. So one would work with Hotspot, other as a private network?
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lauris.klim wrote:
Is there easy way of recognizing one or need to "google" every singe router to find one which suites?

It'll either say "dual band" or state 2.4 AND 5 GHz wireless connectivity

Lauris.klim wrote:
P.S. I guess TL-WDR3500 can qualify as dual-band router. Question is dual band is 2.4 and 5 GHz or it can also go one antenna in 2.4GHz connected to Hotspot and other also in 2.4GHz as private network, without cutting bandwidth 50%?

Generally, you can make the 5 GHz radio operate in 2.4 or 5 GHz. However, I have a Netgear WNDR4000 where the 5GHz radio only works in 5GHz. If set it to 2.4, it appears as if it will work, but the signal is so weak you can't connect. I'm unaware of this being the case with other routers, but I'm sure it's possible. I know the WRT610n doesn't do this, but depending on your needs, you might want something less dated. If you needs are basic, it might be a good choice as they're not too expensive on online auction sites.

Lauris.klim wrote:
P.P.S WR842N in support page also mentioned as WiFi b/g/n 2T2R - does this translates as 2x transceiver + 2x receiver? Or it have other meaning?

I haven't seen that notation before, but probably.

Lauris.klim wrote:
And if it is as I ques - do each transceiver/receiver have possibility to work independently, as in separate channels. So one would work with Hotspot, other as a private network?

Yes. This is exactly the reason why I've recommend you get a dual band wireless router.

If possible, one thing I'd recommend doing before you buy any hardware is to to test the hotspot authentication process. You just need a router who's wireless radio can act as a client. Connect the router to the hotspot and then connect your laptop to a LAN port. Try to authenticate to the hotspot. If it works, you should be good. If not, you'll have to figure out how to satisfy the captive portal authentication.
Lauris.klim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well found cheap WR841N, tho it looks like 2T2R does not mean that it have two separate TX/RX for RF, at least not what I can see from configuration page. Still will be good tool to get more familiar with DD-WRT. So will try in next few days to get router working with hotspot in repeater mode. Need to find one available next to my home.

And if I understood correctly in repeater mode router will pass through caption(splash) page to first connected device (wired and/or wireless) and then after connecting though it will start routing internet access to all connected devices. Or am I wrong at this point?

Or some special steps need to be taken to log in over caption page?
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lauris.klim wrote:
And if I understood correctly in repeater mode router will pass through caption(splash) page to first connected device (wired and/or wireless) and then after connecting though it will start routing internet access to all connected devices. Or am I wrong at this point?

Generally, yes, that's what you can expect until the lease on the hotspot login expires and you'll have to reauthenticate.

Again, about "repeater mode", you want to avoid using it if possible. This is why you got the dual band router. Set one radio to "client" and one to "AP". This is effectively repeater mode without the 50% cut to bandwidth.
Lauris.klim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
About dual band router most likely I will buy one after I will make repeater working on current router - since I got it at very low cost (15$). So took it for trying out DD-WRT, so in case of bricking router wouldn't be big loss.

By the way is there a way of connecting to hotspot not in repeater mode, basically that WiFi would work only as client and its clients would connect only over LAN. kind of same repeater but instead of:
Code:

HotSpot <-WiFi-> "Router in repeater mode" | <-WiFi-> Clients
                                                                 | <-LAN-> Clients

this way:
Code:

HotSpot <-WiFi-> "Router in repeater mode" <-LAN-> Clients
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes.

"Client Mode"
Lauris.klim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

So after some time I came back to this issue and got in one small problem. Maybe someone have any suggestions for solution. Problem is that it looks like my router can't see hot spot I want to connect, or I'm just failing to find how and where to look for.

Now router is running in client mode and getting internet access from hot spot which is created by my phone. This network is detectable in DD-wrt page "Site survey". Problem is that hot spot I want to connect to, with router, isn't detected same way. While it is detectable even with notebook. Different locations were tried, various different networks are detectable, but not ONE I need. Can it be that ISP provider hotspot need some different settings or something else?

As I mentioned with mobile phone created hotspot everything is working.

Thank you in advance for any useful information and tips.

Laurynas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: