VPN from my laptop to my company through DDWRT router =slow?

IndieRockSteve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 20:44    Post subject: VPN from my laptop to my company through DDWRT router =slow? Reply with quote
-this is through a TPLINK TL-WDR3600-

So, I may not quite understand how DDWRT and VPN work. I understand DDWRT can be setup as a VPN server so if I'm away from home I can VPN to my home network so it behaves as if I was there, but in this case what I'm doing is using my company laptop while at home (actually in this case my parents house) and connecting to my company VPN. When I do so there seems to be a noticeable difference in internet speed, even for others on their devices. The VPN I'm set up with is not using remote desktop sharing, I'm just using it to access the corporate file system, and even when I'm not transferring files it feels like things are slower generally.

So, what I'm wondering is, does this make sense? is there some sort of settings in DDWRT that I should enable to make this type of setup more efficient/etc?

thanks!
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, the router is just routing the packets for the vpn connection.

Have you looked at the Status->Router and Status->Bandwidth screens to see the amount of traffic and processor load on the router?
gw2011gw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it is normal for VPN traffic to be a bit slower than normal traffic.

I work from home and used to connect to office VPN server using a client key to access company intranet, browsing, file download/upload etc is always slower than without using the VPN, especially if I have to connect to VPN server far away when the closer one is not available. Although the speed is slower, it is still adequate and allowed me to work.

Recently, company provided a Virtual Office router to connect my laptops to company VPN servers and speed improved but it is still not as fast as browsing without it. Here are my R7000 connections:

ISP -> R7000 (Port1) -> Virtual office router -> office laptops & IP Phone
ISP -> R7000 (Port2-4) -> Other home devices

I never change any setting in DD-WRT.

Just thought I share the experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: