Un-sticky this please.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 23:33    Post subject: Un-sticky this please. Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:32; edited 10 times in total
Sponsor
laserfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:21    Post subject: Re: Rt-N66U/R and Rt-AC66U/R dd-rt install guide Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I am attempting to write a small guide to flash the rt-n66u/r and rt-ac66u/r, since it seems the info is asked on a daily basis.

Yes because this website is incredibly confusing! Thanks for trying to help!

Quote:
For the rt-n66u/r flash this build for your first flash ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

After it has completed you may not have a wan address so either reset to factory default through the GUI, do 30/30/30 reset or telnet into the router and type: erase nvram and hit enter. Then type: reboot and hit enter.

If Factory Default is available, why bother with "30/30/30 reset or telnet"? Where are these explained (I don't know what 30/30/30 means)? Links?

Quote:
After the router boots you should have a wan address.
You can then flash the router using one of the builds here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/24200/

Why must the Brainslayer fw be flashed first? Is the desipro.de fw the "kong build" mentioned below? And what is the purpose/benefit to flash with this build over the Brainslayer?

Quote:
The same steps apply to the rt-ac66u/r except the initial flash is here ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/asus-rt-ac66u/
You can follow that with the same kong build from above.

To revert to asus or asus/RMerlin, reset the router to factory defaults, change the .trx ending of the asus firmware to .bin and flash it through the upgrade tab.

Thanks for the sticky--sorry for all the questions but between ASUSWRT, RMerlin, and many multiple builds of DD-WRT it is bewildering to me and I am not even a first-timer, having learned of DD-WRT years ago with an Airlink101 AP430W that I still have & use as a backup router...

Shocked
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33; edited 1 time in total
laserfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Malachi I do now vaguely recall having heard about (and likely tried) 30/30/30 long ago.

When you get as old as I am now, well, you forget stuff!

Embarassed
Xruptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a great guide! Thank you for this as it was extremely helpful. I do have a question though that was already brought up by laserfan.

In your instructions you recommend to use a build from http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/24200/
Which is apparently a kong build.

My question is this:
Why not stick with brainslayer? Is there a advantage over using that specific kong build over brainslayer? Why not use newer builds of brainslayer like

or

I'm a little confused over this. I've read that some people have had issues with 24461 but 24160 is fine. Yet you don't mention either of these builds in your instructions only the kong one as the final flash. (You use a brainslayer as a primary flash). I'm hoping there is a reasoning behind this or some advantage that I don't particular see in posts. (stability, etc...)

I'm having issues with upnp on Tomato that I'm currently using. You see I have two xbox ones on a single lan and one of them is always on Nat Moderate. I've been able to in the past get open NAT on both. I'm hoping that switching to dd-wrt will fix the issue.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks again!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:36; edited 1 time in total
Xruptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
You need not flash the kong as your final version.
I posted it because that's what kong recommended. Also because I have used them and have had no trouble.
Some have bricked their routers with some of the latest releases. I listed the ones that are safe.
Feel free to try any that you want. This was a guide for the steps getting these two routers flashed with dd-wrt, as the same questions were being asked every other day it seemed.

Thanks a bunch Malachi. I was just curious Smile

One last question about the kong builds. Is there any difference between the K3_AC-NEWD and K3_AC-OLDD versions?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:37; edited 1 time in total
laserfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Just have fun.

LOL Malachi I have the Peacock thread up right now and am wading thru it, having read the other stickies that say "read these stickies!" and I appreciate now more than ever your responding to my dumb questions e.g. 30/30/30.

Thanks again for trying to summarize in this thread a simpler view of things.

Very Happy
sgtcasey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just completed upgrading my RT-N66U to DD-WRT and I wanted to add in a few things that I discovered, sadly, via trial and error.

1. Wait for the reboot!
2. Wait for the reboot!
3. Wait for the reboot!

In my case it took around 30-35 minutes at each point in the process for the reboot to complete.

Here are the complete steps I followed.

1. Factory reset the router.
2. Set my PC NIC to a static IP of 192.168.1.12, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a default-gateway of 192.168.1.1.
3. Start up the router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering it on. It only takes about 5-10 seconds before the power light begins to blink really slowly. Then you're in recovery mode.
4. Open up a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 which should be the built-in recovery web page.
5. Using the build-in recovery web page, select the first DD-WRT image and upload it. I used dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx. Once the upload process has started do not do anything else until the router reboots itself. This part of the process took exactly 32 minutes.
6. Power down the router and then power it back up with the reset button held down to put it back into recovery mode.
7. Open up your web browser and go back to the recovery mode web page or just simply hit Continue if you still have the browser open from step #5.
8. Now upload the next DD-WRT image. I used dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin. As before in step #5 once you begin the upload process just wait for the reboot. This part of the process took me 28 minutes.
9. Power down the router and then power it back up with the reset button held down to put it back into recovery mode.
10. Back to your web browser to access the built-in recovery mode.
11. Click on Restore default NVRAM values. This part of the process was pretty quick... not even a minute before it was done.
12. Using the web browser, copy and paste this and hit enter: http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit
13. Then click on Reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot. This part is where things got a little strange. I waited much longer than 5-10 minutes... a total of 36 minutes before I finally tried to simply reboot the router which didn't work. So I added this next step.
14. Bring the router back into recovery mode and click on Reboot.
15. Done!

Most of the steps I found online included some of the steps above and others included other parts of the steps above but the main "issue" I had was simply not waiting long enough for the reboots to happen. I also read forums posts where people said they took even longer. I think the lesson here is to just be patient and wait.

Something else I did was to open up a command line window and run a ping -t 192.168.1.1. That was another way I'd know the reboot process was done and the router was ready for the next step when the ping requests would come back from the router.

I hope my going through the process and documenting my findings here help someone else in the future.

Dave
laserfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
sgtcasey wrote:
I just completed upgrading my RT-N66U to DD-WRT and I wanted to add in a few things that I discovered, sadly, via trial and error...

I hope my going through the process and documenting my findings here help someone else in the future.

Dave

Dave you have posted this into a sticky about "how to install" without even commenting on or apparently having tried Malachi's [much simpler] instruction, wherein he specifically says "There is no need to use recovery mode".

What is this about?
sgtcasey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
laserfan wrote:
sgtcasey wrote:
I just completed upgrading my RT-N66U to DD-WRT and I wanted to add in a few things that I discovered, sadly, via trial and error...

Dave

Dave you have posted this into a sticky about "how to install" without even commenting on or apparently having tried Malachi's [much simpler] instruction, wherein he specifically says "There is no need to use recovery mode".

What is this about?

Well, in my defense he did edit his post after I posted the steps I used. I was simply adding in more detail to what had previously been posted. Smile

Dave
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:37; edited 1 time in total
sgtcasey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
The original post was for the easiest flash method. It can be done without setting a static ip.

I could have posted how to flash it using a serial connection, which I have done.
I was simply trying to give the easiest most concise method after seeming seeing it asked on an almost daily basis.

I understand. I used your method but had a number of questions about various steps such as how long does the reboot take (it took much longer than I was expecting) which is what caused me to fail the process the first time.

Being somewhat OCD, and working as a network guy, I tend to be very detailed in the steps I use to take to do things. So when I put together the steps to make a second attempt I got the list I posted here. I only wanted to make sure someone doing this for the first time would have all questions answered.

If you'd prefer I can simply make another post in the regular forum. I generally just do stuff like this so it is searchable.

Regards,

Dave
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I regret posting this.

Last edited by Malachi on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:38; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: