Complete reset or revert of Buffalo WHR-HP-N300G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
sflesch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 15:03    Post subject: Complete reset or revert of Buffalo WHR-HP-N300G Reply with quote
I've tried a 30-30-30 reset many times. I also tried a reset from within the gui. My server and one of the PCs refuse to communicate. I've swapped in 2 other routers and had no issue. They can't ping via name or IP. All other devices can communicate with them via both.

I used to use this router fine, but was having connection issues which the ISP of course blamed on my router.

If there's a way besides a 30-30-30 that might clear this bug or a way to revert to the Buffalo firmware, if only temporarily, I would like some help, please.
I've read a few articles about reverting but the all seem to refer to other article with a bunch of posts which refer to more posts...
Sponsor
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
S, what version of ddwrt is on the Buffalo?
Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
sflesch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router Name DD-WRT
Router Model Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std - build 24461

...and I plan to go back to DD-WRT, just looking to get rid of whatever is blocking the connection between the two PCs.
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I gather you haven't noticed any of the discussion on builds 24461?? Loads of issues. I've experienced some of them.

Have you tried to revert to an earlier version? Most have not been able to, but I finally got my Buffalo G300NH to roll back to an earlier version after numerous attempts.

Some are recommending not to go beyond build 23919.

Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
sflesch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
uberT wrote:
I gather you haven't noticed any of the discussion on builds 24461?? Loads of issues. I've experienced some of them.

Have you tried to revert to an earlier version? Most have not been able to, but I finally got my Buffalo G300NH to roll back to an earlier version after numerous attempts.

Some are recommending not to go beyond build 23919.

I saw something about some builds that were recalled. I find it hard to follow threads sometime. I just tried to downgrade via web interface to 23919. I can't do it via tftp either unless I'm doing something wrong. Couldn't get that to work for the original firmware either.

router at 192.168.1.1
pc at 192.168.1.2
reboot, wait five seconds, then tftp the file in...didn't work. Tried the enc file from Buffalo too.
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, it can be very tricky to do.

I found I have success on every first attempt when I put another router between the PC (WIN7) and the router I'm trying to flash via TFTP routine. The intermediate router (switch) seems to eliminate the timing issue. One of the developers recommended trying this.

(My Buff G300NH bricks almost everytime I flash it now Sad ...going into a perpertual re-boot cycle. )

Yes, there is a lot of dated and invalid info out there.

Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are the basic guidelines I use when I brick the Buffalo:

BrainSlayer wrote:

from my opinion the guide is wrong.

first you need to assign a mac address for 192.168.11.1 with arp. but the mac address shown in the guide is wrong. you must use 02:AA:BB:CC:DD:1A

so arp -s 192.168.11.1 02-AA-BB-CC-DD-1A

then use tftp -i 192.168.11.1 put file.bin

the bin file must be the factory to dd-wrt flash image and not the dd-wrt webflash image.

ah and by the way. the tftp server will listen for just 4 seconds, but not right up after you plugin the power. no you usually have to wait up to 10 seconds until you can hit enter with tftp. just all about timing

Note the MAC address he mentions. It's critical to use those values, not the MAC address from the label on the device.

Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
sflesch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. You've cleared up a few things for me. I assume if my router defaults to 192.168.1.0, I should set it to 192.168.11.0?

On top of all this I thought my Road Runner was giving me issues, but I found out my Windows Server box seemed to be pulling all the bandwidth somehow. It was running speedtest at the full speeds, but any other devices were dragging miserably.

Its sometimes hard to know what is causing what with these things. Glad to know I have some guidance now with the router. I think I've tried both files, but it's good to know which one is supposed to work.
uberT
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just be careful with what I have shared. When the router is in normal operating mode, the default IP is 192.168.1.1 (on dd-wrt). I don't recall the Buffalo firmware default IP address.

When the router is bricked, you've got to use 192.168.11.1 to run the TFTP routine.

There are a LOT of issues with 24461....don't spend a ton of time trying to fix stuff you may not be able to. I guess I'd try to invest rolling back to an earlier version.

Wise Man sez: keep spare router kicking around for times like these Wink

Linksys E4200 (stock FW)
tbdltee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H which I don't know this method will work for your model. However, it's worth to try.

1. download uImage.bin of any working dd-wrt version
2. rename it to firmware.ram
3. change your PC LAN adapter IP address to 192.168.11.2
4. start ftfp server program and put firmware.ram into the root folder of tftp server
5. power-off your router (disconnect power cable) and connect LAN cable to the router
6. when everything ready, press and hold AOSS button on your router
7. power-on your router (while still pressing AOSS button) and continue to press it for at least 5 sec.
8. see tftp status on your PC. the firmware.ram should transfer to your router.
9 when the file start to transfer, you can release the button.
10. wait until your router is finished loading and reboot.
11. finish....

if there is no file transfer, you can repeat 5-9 again. sometime, I took 2-3 time before file can start to transfer.

ps: my router model default IP address is 192.168.1.1

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really trying to roll it back. I just can't seem to get the timing right, I guess.

I did the arp with the above MAC.
I set my IP to 192.168.11.2
I have a Linksys 8-port Workgroup switch in between the router and the PC.
I ran tftp with the buffalo to wrt bin file with the tftp program set to a large number of retries.

I'm trying to roll it back to the version you suggested, but I have tried the last enc file from Buffalo which I had on there a while ago.
tbdltee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
sflesch wrote:
I'm really trying to roll it back. I just can't seem to get the timing right, I guess.

I did the arp with the above MAC.
I set my IP to 192.168.11.2
I have a Linksys 8-port Workgroup switch in between the router and the PC.
I ran tftp with the buffalo to wrt bin file with the tftp program set to a large number of retries.

I'm trying to roll it back to the version you suggested, but I have tried the last enc file from Buffalo which I had on there a while ago.

1. I connect my router directly to the Buffalo router using LAN cable
2. I've never done the ARP thing.
3. filename must be firmware.ram
4. use uImage.bin file from dd-wrt or other unencrypted image file.
5. I can flash between dd-wrt and open-wrt in different versions but they are all unencrypted firmware. I don't think it will work with encrypt firmware (not sure for your model but my model cannot roll back to encrypted firmware).

Did the firmware.bin transfer to the your router? If the tftp software does not show file transfer status, you can use wireshark to track the file transfer.

Try to flash dd-wrt r23919 which is the most stable beta for me. Then, you can start from this version.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
tbdltee wrote:

1. I connect my router directly to the Buffalo router using LAN cable
2. I've never done the ARP thing.
3. filename must be firmware.ram
4. use uImage.bin file from dd-wrt or other unencrypted image file.
5. I can flash between dd-wrt and open-wrt in different versions but they are all unencrypted firmware. I don't think it will work with encrypt firmware (not sure for your model but my model cannot roll back to encrypted firmware).

Did the firmware.bin transfer to the your router? If the tftp software does not show file transfer status, you can use wireshark to track the file transfer.

Try to flash dd-wrt r23919 which is the most stable beta for me. Then, you can start from this version.

I've been trying the files from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/ specifically the 23919 version and per your instructions, I tried renaming them both to firmware.ram.
Where do I get the uimage.bin file and do I rename that to factory.ram?
tbdltee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have look through the dd-wrt link you've provided. It looks like there is no tftp version of the image file.

Have you try this link? It might work.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/whrhpg300n-pro-v24sp2-19154-download.zip

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tbdltee wrote:
I have look through the dd-wrt link you've provided. It looks like there is no tftp version of the image file.

Have you try this link? It might work.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/whrhpg300n-pro-v24sp2-19154-download.zip

Is there a way to convert the files to tftp? Do they have to have that name? Maybe they are tftp files but just not the old naming convention?

I've tried that file a few times as well. That's the encrypted buffalo file, which I am pretty sure I've read in a few places you can't use an encrypted file to go back to the OEM firmware after going to DD-WRT.

How difficult is it to get and go to open-wrt? I was considering going to that if I could switch back to an older dd-wrt later.

Any preferences between the two for you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: