VLANs, Trunks, Multiple SSIDs and Multiple AP2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
pwrmac7100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37    Post subject: VLANs, Trunks, Multiple SSIDs and Multiple AP2 Reply with quote
My end goal is to have my main router broadcasting two SSIDs (one secured and one open with a captive portal) as well as three other AP broadcasting the same two SSIDs.

The hardware I have to work with is:
(1) Actiontec MI424-WR Ver C (already flashed and running v24 Build 21061).
(3) TP-Link TL-WA901ND (default firmware)

I have already configured the router as far as I can take it...it has two SSIDs (ie, SSIDSecure is the wireless broadcast assigned to the port (ath0) and SSIDOpen is the wireless broadcast assigned to the virtual interface (ath0.1). I have two bridges: br0 interfaces with atho0 and ixp1 (LAN ports) and br1 interfaces with ath0.1. br0 uses the ip range 192.168.101.x and br1 uses 192.168.108.x...both have DHCP enabled. I also configured the captive portal (using NoCatSplash) to work on the gateway 192.168.108.1. As far the router goes, it's working exactly how I want it.

So, my problem is how to add the TP-Link AP into the network and extend the functionality of the router. The APs are capable of broadcasting multiple SSIDs and you can assign different VLANs to each SSID. However, the APs will be hardwired to the router (and the LAN ports are already bridged) and this is where I get confused. I'm assuming the router needs to have VLANS setup and so will the APs. From what I read (and I could be wrong), I need to have VLAN0 on the router and a VLAN0 on the APs (and associate VLAN0 with SSIDSecure) - then add VLAN0 to br0. Similarly, I need to have VLAN1 on the router and VLAN1 on the APs (and associate VLAN1 with SSIDOpen) - then add VLAN1 to br1.

I read one forum that talked about trunks. I just banged my head against a tree trunk for an hour, but that didn't help.

I have tons of questions...
1. Does the MI424 even support VLANs?
2. Can the TP-Link firmware 'play' nice with DD-WRT on the router? That is, does VLAN info get passed along?
3. How do I do what I need? Or, if I am way off, in what direction should I be going?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: