Can you limit the bandwidth by computer?

carbonyl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:31    Post subject: Can you limit the bandwidth by computer? Reply with quote
I'm pretty new to the dd-wrt opensource firmware but haven't found a definitive, credible answer to one question: Can you limit the bandwith by computer?

I have 3 kids with the basic comcast cable internet, and since I do a lot of my work on the internet (and would also like my kids to not be in front of the computer the entire day), I would like to limit the bandwidth that my kids can use up.

Until now, my kids' youtube/netflix streaming and gaming really affect and many times actually prevent me from doing my primary work (which requires web programming, VOIP calling, hosting a webinar to others through live streaming, among others).

So far, I've heard that the QoS option of dd-wrt may offer a solution, but I just want to confirm. I will be replacing my current router also with the "TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button" sold on Amazon.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsor
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd prefer a good qos-configuration over a stupid bandwidth-limitation. With qos you can use (nearly!) the whole bandwidth.
carbonyl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
I'd prefer a good qos-configuration over a stupid bandwidth-limitation. With qos you can use (nearly!) the whole bandwidth.

Ok, so I should be able to configure the "TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300" router after flashing DD-WRT to allow for a single computer (in this case, mine) to use all of the bandwidth?
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
QoS is explained here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: