Kong build 25015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
neztea
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just would like to say that the AC K3 build (25015-RC1) for the Asus AC66U soft bricks the router. Did an NVRAM clear before hand and and when I tried to flash the router it put me in a bootloop and I could not access the router settings because it has kept on rebooting. Had to use the asus firmware recovery to flash back to Kong 24200. Any reason why that would be the case. Unfortunately I don't have a serial connection to the router and am unable to provide any log information or a dump.

Thanks, just thought I should inform you guys.

Neztea
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
neztea wrote:
Just would like to say that the AC K3 build (25015-RC1) for the Asus AC66U soft bricks the router. Did an NVRAM clear before hand and and when I tried to flash the router it put me in a bootloop and I could not access the router settings because it has kept on rebooting. Had to use the asus firmware recovery to flash back to Kong 24200. Any reason why that would be the case. Unfortunately I don't have a serial connection to the router and am unable to provide any log information or a dump.

Neztea

The clear probably sets different defaults, and those obviously cause a crash, will look into it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33    Post subject: Re: Kong build 25015 Reply with quote
NiTrus wrote:
ddup --flash-latest hasnt worked on last 2 upgrades...says i have latest version..

Noobish question now Embarassed

Does ddup update the router to the desired version without the need to 30/30/30 reset and so on? Could all the settings be kept without risk? Or does the router still reset to default values?

I have always reset the router and 30/30/30 before and after upgrading it, since that is the recommended way, or so I read here on the forums when I started to use dd-wrt.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't have to have them as primary before. But I will try changing them and seeing if that fixes will let you know thanks Kong.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am one of the people who seems to be impacted by the newer bcm wireless drivers & router stability.
I am rock solid on the oldd drivers.

Yesterday morning I switched to the latest 25015M via ddup & did a factory reset. (My standard procedure)

I ran into issues after about 4 hrs of up time after on the new installed firmware.
Usually on the newd I just see random reboots but with the latest firmware what happened was a sudden and complete loss of wireless connectivity.
I lost wireless connectivity to every wireless device in the house on both the 2.4 & 5 freqs.
Both ssid's were visible the whole time but not able to connect.

So I rebooted the router, got back in and reverted to the last OLDD firmware and I have been rock solid since.

So for me at least, the new firmware did not work.
Though as mentioned, the normal "random reboot" was replaced with a loss of wireless connectivity.

I should mention I did not have any wired clients to test wired connectivity so I do not know if wired was impacted.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
I am one of the people who seems to be impacted by the newer bcm wireless drivers & router stability.
I am rock solid on the oldd drivers.

Yesterday morning I switched to the latest 25015M via ddup & did a factory reset. (My standard procedure)

I ran into issues after about 4 hrs of up time after on the new installed firmware.
Usually on the newd I just see random reboots but with the latest firmware what happened was a sudden and complete loss of wireless connectivity.
I lost wireless connectivity to every wireless device in the house on both the 2.4 & 5 freqs.
Both ssid's were visible the whole time but not able to connect.

So I rebooted the router, got back in and reverted to the last OLDD firmware and I have been rock solid since.

So for me at least, the new firmware did not work.
Though as mentioned, the normal "random reboot" was replaced with a loss of wireless connectivity.

I should mention I did not have any wired clients to test wired connectivity so I do not know if wired was impacted.

If the ssid is there, but you can't logon then it must be a problem with encryption, new driver only works with WPA2/AES. But it is also possible, that the auth daemon did not start correctly, have seen this once when radios are turned on/off by schedule

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt it is an encryption issue since the router (wifi) was working for 4 or so hours before the wifi abruptly stopped working for all clients on both 2.4 & 5ghz.

Both use AES wpa2.

I cant say about the deamon since I did not have a hard wired client.
I do NOT schedule the radios. Everything is on 100% of the time in my configuration.

There was not a heavy load of traffic going wired or wireless so load was not a factor either.

I was using the wireless when it went bonkers.

decompiled
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike,

I had a similar experience. My N7000 has not had any issues on OLD or NEW. I upgraded from 25000 to 25015 and my 5G locked up. It was visible but not passing any traffic. I updated from 25000 using ddup and reset post update. I had to do a 2nd reset and reconfigure and it has been working great since. No lock ups on wifi. No reboots.
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
USB Not auto-mounting. UPDATE.

I made all partitions primary and it mounted them all automatically. Did not have to use UUID as I named them "swap" "opt" and "jffs". Never had this issue prior to adding the swap drive partition.

Odd though once it was working I tried the USB 3.0 and it works if the router is running but on reboot it does not see the USB Stick nor does it respond at all moving it to the 2.0 brings it right up and the 2.0 port works just fine on reboot.

Just FYI.

Moral of the story all partitions must be flagged as primary on format to auto-mount successfully. And recommend the 2.0 ports if you have issue with drive not mounting on reboot.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Decomp,
I will give 25015M another shot.
It is odd that you would have to update, wipe, configure, wipe & re-configure to get it to take.
Probably something didnt "take" right the first time.
I will re-ddup it, wipe it, config & see if it works.
If not, instead of reverting back to solid OLDD firmware I will re-wipe & re-configure it like you suggest.

decompiled wrote:
slidermike,

I had a similar experience. My N7000 has not had any issues on OLD or NEW. I upgraded from 25000 to 25015 and my 5G locked up. It was visible but not passing any traffic. I updated from 25000 using ddup and reset post update. I had to do a 2nd reset and reconfigure and it has been working great since. No lock ups on wifi. No reboots.

t-nation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
neztea wrote:

Neztea

The clear probably sets different defaults, and those obviously cause a crash, will look into it.

I had the same thing happen last night with this build on my AC66U. Hopefully Kong and his skills will find the problem.

Also, I have build 25015 on my AC68U and its running without issues! Thank you Kong and your efforts!!

Side note: to those having problems with wireless not working or connecting... when i made changes to my wireless settings, wireless did not want to work till i did a "router reboot". Now this might have been a fluke because I didn't wait long enough or just impatient.
MrDoh
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgraded from 25000M to 25015M last night, and fine so far. Everything working well after only 12 hours, but seems a lot like 25000M to me. IPv6 is still working well, in fact the router firmware seems to have done the right thing with the "neighbour table overflow" messages that I've gotten from Comcast with IPv6 for a long time. I'm attributing that to the updated kernel *smile*.

Anyways, so far so good with 25015M. I'm using 5GHz. wireless on this laptop as we speak.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Thanks Decomp,
I will give 25015M another shot.
It is odd that you would have to update, wipe, configure, wipe & re-configure to get it to take.
Probably something didnt "take" right the first time.
I will re-ddup it, wipe it, config & see if it works.
If not, instead of reverting back to solid OLDD firmware I will re-wipe & re-configure it like you suggest.

decompiled wrote:
slidermike,

I usually don't do a reset and switch between drivers without any problem, but things I have experienced before:

-intel wireless does stupid things and can't connect until I delete my profiles and set it up again

-strange frequent disconnects and nat speed issues if I don't power off/on the router

By the way one unit at work has now 90 days of uptime with the current driver. My own main router had 30 days until I upgraded to latest build.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those are all good call outs Kong.

Under the oldd drivers my router is rock solid for as long as i leave it running (like you described of yours).

With the newd, I normally get random router resets.

This new issue I described from yesterday was the first time I ever had my wireless working... with all clients and then just drop existing clients; refusing to allow them to reconnect again.
remove & recreate the wireless profile on laptop - No joy.
I tried connecting to the other frequency. - No joy.
Power cycling 2 of the wireless clients. - No joy.

And keep in mind the clients were all connected at the time of the sudden disconnect.

My newest client is a rocking asus ac1900 PCE-AC68 that i get near full bandwidth with. Its impressive to see wireless getting near wired speeds.
All of the clients were dropped from the wireless & not able to re-join.
The lights on the router indicated that wifi was on but it took a router power cycle to actually get the clients to reconnect.

Hopefully it was a one off issue. I would rather have the router random reboot than to lose complete wireless access.
At least the router rebooting is pretty quick. The wireless, once it died I had to manually power cycle & if I am not there the wife will complain.
Smile

So kong, are you saying that when you flash new firmware you leave your existing configuration in place (NO reset to default) & you also dont reboot the router after the firmware update?

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike wrote:
Those are all good call outs Kong.

Under the oldd drivers my router is rock solid for as long as i leave it running (like you described of yours).

With the newd, I normally get random router resets.

This new issue I described from yesterday was the first time I ever had my wireless working... with all clients and then just drop existing clients; refusing to allow them to reconnect again.
remove & recreate the wireless profile on laptop - No joy.
I tried connecting to the other frequency. - No joy.
Power cycling 2 of the wireless clients. - No joy.

And keep in mind the clients were all connected at the time of the sudden disconnect.

My newest client is a rocking asus ac1900 PCE-AC68 that i get near full bandwidth with. Its impressive to see wireless getting near wired speeds.
All of the clients were dropped from the wireless & not able to re-join.
The lights on the router indicated that wifi was on but it took a router power cycle to actually get the clients to reconnect.

Hopefully it was a one off issue. I would rather have the router random reboot than to lose complete wireless access.
At least the router rebooting is pretty quick. The wireless, once it died I had to manually power cycle & if I am not there the wife will complain.
Smile

So kong, are you saying that when you flash new firmware you leave your existing configuration in place (NO reset to default) & you also dont reboot the router after the firmware update?

I only do a reset for testing, but not on my main unit.

A flash always reboots the unit, but it doesn't power off the unit, a reboot does not necessarily clear all hw registers, only a power off/on does.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: