Linksys E1000v2.1 - No PPPoE connection after 30/30/30 reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pulmoll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:36    Post subject: Linksys E1000v2.1 - No PPPoE connection after 30/30/30 reset Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

First, I'm at office right now and have to rebuild all that info from some handmade notes because I'm completely offline in our house due to bad cell service and the PPPoE connection not working. Please excuse me if I'm being unprecise anywhere. Also, please fire out any idea you've got, because I'll have to print it all out to try stuff at home - so better give me something to do ...

My devices:
Modem: D-Link DSL 321B, running up-to-date stock firmware in bridged mode, which is factory-enabled and reverted to on reset
Router: Linksys E1000 v2.1 running dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin build from here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=605776#605776 - doing the PPPoE

On to what happened: This setup worked flawlessly for ~2 years. I did a modem upgrade during the time from some previous revision of the device and I never even touched the web interface because it comes with bridged mode pre-enabled and when those PPPoE settings already were set in the router, it was really all plug and play.

Now while I'm no expert, I like running some services at home, got a DynDNS and so on, so running a 16968 build, this issue http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89353 affected me. I had some free time yesterday, so I finally found and did this:
Code:
Save the following commands to the Firewall Script on the Administration->Commands page to fix loopback.

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --save-mark
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

which about a minute later made my whole home network unfunctional and the web interface as well as telnet/ssh of the router unable to be accessed, by WiFi as well as a direct patch cable to a computer. So I saw I was left with doing a reset. I went for the 30/30/30, and everything was back to normal.
I logged in, returned the router to my local IP conventions, exactly as it was before (192.168.2.1), put that ISP login data back in, and now it just won't connect - the status page will indicate "disconnected", and that's it. Local network is running fine, except for the router hanging after a unspecified time running, sometimes recovering in a matter of seconds, sometimes needing to be restarted, which never happened before (3 digit days uptime were absolutely normal).

Things I've tried were basically more 30/30/30 resets, countless retyping of PPPoE login information (from the original ISP provided document), later trys assisted by a second person to confirm correctness... I also reset the modem, which was pointless because I had never touched its settings anyway. I then checked the modem settings, which were right as they should be expected to be (basically bridged mode, with the few settings being what they should for my ISP, corresponding with the modems manual).
The modem indicates power through LED, ADSL sync through LED and web interface, local connection through LED, but the actual WAN connection LED never even flashes.

I did not try any acutal firmware flashing since the firmware running right now worked rock solid for years for me, and I wanted to avoid adding any more sources of error. However on IRC, someone suggested to flash the exact same image I used over it again.

Googling, I found the idea of "turn everything off, turn modem on, turn router on", which changed nothing. I also read through the forum announcements, and found #14 of the Peacock Thread to be relevant, but due to it working before I think only point a and b would be relevant, where point a was already tried. I'll have a look into point b when I get home. Especially point d and e are 100% sure to be right.

I also found http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Debugging_PPPOE_Problems - but the syslogd command only gives a never ending loop of pppd initialized by uid 0 (root), pppd starting, pppd stopping.
Is there any way to find out what's going on between the router and the modem, or if anything at all is going on?

Besides all that, I'm running out of things to try.
So please, anyone tell me where to look, what to do, or what more information to hand to you. We're completely offline for a day now, with the damned IP phone and everything connected, and I'm starting to get desperate Sad
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't do modems but want to make some suggestions. First, get your modem working if you can to confirm that the problem Isn't there. In other words, in bridge it and get internet functional. Then, if it works, take a look at the wiki on connecting routers to modems, and the wireless access point of the wiki. I would try a different LAN ip on the router...192.168.5.1. Not really anything helpful except to give the thread a bump.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Pulmoll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick update from my phone... I connected one of my Linux machines directly to the modem and tried to connect PPPoE from there. Got a access denied error there. Trying to contact my ISP now.
Pulmoll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this late update.
I'd just like to bring this thread to a conclusion: I was able to talk to a support assistant with my ISP (T-Online Germany). He said he did a "reset" and "initiated a connection measurement" (trying to translate here obviously) while he asked me to try several patterns for access data input.

During one of those (the one I always used), the connection was suddenly active and working again. The guy could not tell me what actually had happened. I'm going to assume there was some kind of fault on the ISP side that coincided with my router scripting fuckup in the worst possible way.

Lesson learned: Ask your ISP before you waste hours and hours looking for errors that maybe aren't there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: